Main Menu

Star Lord: 40 Years on

Started by McGurk76, 24 July, 2018, 06:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGurk76

Going back a bit, but does anyone else have fond memories of 2000AD's short lived sister comic?
I was one in 1978 but was lucky enough to inherit a complete set from my older brother (who didn't even like 2000AD!)
I actually get the impression it was generally of a higher quality than 2000AD at the time? Nice painted covers etc.
Timequake anyone?
Star Lord himself was a bit odd.
Mind Wars? Never really got into that.
High points were of course Strontium Dog, Ro-Busters (and Timequake, I would argue).
I must be off now: the gronks are calling and I can't let them down...
Watch the skies!

AlexF

Much like you, I was far too young (3 months old when it was cancelled!) to remember StarLord the first time around. I managed to put together a full set of issues (guess I can't call them Progs,  ;)) about 20 years later, trawling through various print catalogues (little knowing that ebay would exist in a few short year).

For me, Mind Wars was the real stand out - loved it, and super excited it's getting a reprint at last in an upcoming Megazine. Strontium Dog was pretty great too, especially the art - almost as good as it was in 2000AD later on. Also impressed by Holocaust, a weird little 70s style action movie thriller.

But I was super disappointed by Ro-Busters. The stuff I'd read in old Progs was, I think, far superior - apart from maybe the first couple of episodes the Star Lord stories were kinda silly. Time Quake also wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped, but fun enough.

So yes, fond memories also from me, but apparently quite different ones!  :P

sheridan

Mind Wars reprint - I believe it's next month - looking forward to it getting a wider readership.  I thought Starlord SD was better than the first 2000AD SD story, though obviously the strip has gone on to greater things.

Dandontdare

I remember being very disappointed about my posting within Starlord's dubious child-army - I was Skateboard Squad (I didn't even own a skateboard) when I wanted to be a much cooler Tank Commander or Robot Controller.

Magnetica

I was originally  Starlord reader,  not a 2000AD reader, starting with Starlord issue 4. Years later I got 1,2 and 3 and have a complete set to this day.

I loved Strontium Dog and Ro-Busters. The other favourite was Time Quake.  I didn't much care for Mind Wars but will get the trade when it comes out to reappraise it.

I was seriously miffed when it merged into that " horrible" 2000AD. Strontium Dog and Ro-Busters went off in different directions and a couple of weeks missed by my newsagent were it took for me to give up this so called "2000AD and Starlord". We all know the second billed publication is only named to pull in the readers, otherwise it has ceased to exist.

It was more than 6 months later when I came back on board with Prog 127 and that was only because I was confused by the tag line "At last! Britain's top two papers join forces".

I thought they meant Starlord....what on earth was "Tornado"?

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Dandontdare on 25 July, 2018, 05:41:04 PM
I remember being very disappointed about my posting within Starlord's dubious child-army - I was Skateboard Squad (I didn't even own a skateboard) when I wanted to be a much cooler Tank Commander or Robot Controller.

Time Wardens forever! Literally!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

norton canes

I bought the first two editions of Starlord but only two other editions after that so I had a sort of detached attitude to it, since I'd only seen tantalising fragments of the stories. Being ten at the time it was the Ro-Busters stories that grabbed me most with their strong visual impact, adventurous storylines and sly humour.

I did like the 'Star Troopers' aspect and was another proud but skateboard-less member of the Skateboard Strike Force.

Tjm86

Remember picking up the first issue in Watford.  This was about the same time that tooth was having trouble with distribution and production IIRC but I have to admit to a preference for it at the time.  Obviously I had to make a choice and switched over to Starlord. 

I'd agree that Starlord Stront stood up far better than early Tooth Stront.  There's also a quality to Ezquerra's work on this that we've not quite seen since, a curious delicacy?  I can't quite put my finger on it or put into words.  It's the same with the Hell Journey story.  It just seems like a little more of a labour of love than some of the other stuff he's put out there (having said that, even his poorest work leaves most mere mortals in the dust).

Planet of the Damned has to be one of those 'guilty pleasures' really.  Worked so much better on 7 year old me.  Reading it now ...  Same is true of Robusters.  Other than a few of the tales, quite a few haven't aged spectacularly.  The obvious stand out strips are those by stand out artists such as Gibbons and Ian Kennedy.  Same is true of Time Quake. 

Little surprised at the lack of affection in some corners for Mind Wars.  For a start it is graced by some of Redondo's best work.  It is also one of the few strips that does actually stand the test of time far better than many of the other strips.  Granted it has a YA feel to it but it has so much more going for it, not least of all a rather brutal sensibility.

Aaron A Aardvark

I prefered Starlord at the time. Liked all the stories - except Holocaust, obviously - but especially Ro-Busters & Planet of the Damned.

The early Stronts stand up well, I think, the rest... less so but I'm looking forward to seeing Mind Wars again.

sheridan

Quote from: Tjm86 on 27 July, 2018, 01:41:08 PM
Little surprised at the lack of affection in some corners for Mind Wars.  For a start it is graced by some of Redondo's best work.  It is also one of the few strips that does actually stand the test of time far better than many of the other strips.  Granted it has a YA feel to it but it has so much more going for it, not least of all a rather brutal sensibility.

Difficult to judge the other strips that ran, seeing as I'd have been familiar with Stronts for a good few years when I first read through Starlord, but I'm sure Mind Wars would have been my favourite, all other things being equal.  I know that Jesus thinks it's his best work (he seemed surprised that I knew the story at the 40th).

Richard

Mind Wars was really good. Next to Strontium Dog it was the best thing in Starlord. I'm glad others will now get a chance to see it.

McGurk76

Thanks everyone! Has anyone any ideas how much a complete set would go for? Not that I'm planning to sell!
P.s. the same question for a complete set of Warrior?

Tjm86

I guess that would depend on what sort of 'complete' set you were talking about.  If it included all of the badges, the free gifts in issue 2 & 3, the Summer Special and Annuals then maybe £150.  Usual condition caveats apply.

Complete set of Warrior is an interesting one.  Don't often see them about.  Plenty of individual issues going for between £2 and £10 depending on condition.  The last couple of issues tend to be slightly more scarce.  Possibly a set with the binder might command a slightly higher price, or a copy of the V for Vendetta single (which I've only ever seen listed once).

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tjm86 on 29 July, 2018, 01:10:48 PM
or a copy of the V for Vendetta single

Which is absolutely terrible, BTW.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 29 July, 2018, 01:22:30 PM
Quote from: Tjm86 on 29 July, 2018, 01:10:48 PM
or a copy of the V for Vendetta single

Which is absolutely terrible, BTW.
Haven't checked if my copy of the Oink! rap survived the latest house move...
We never really die.