Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

I quite liked Slaughterbowl, but it felt like an extended Future Shock, given the twist. It probably would have worked well in the 3hrillers format, perhaps. As for the notion of 'empty drivel', that rather summed up that entire period for me. Maniac 5 was brainless entertainment, but I don't have any interest in reading it again – and certainly not in hardback. Really & Truly was breezy fun, but inessential (and I already have that Hughes collection in hardback). Big Dave remains one of the more troubling things I've ever read in 2000 AD, on the basis of how much it misses the mark. (Satire only works if you have at least some precision. Big Dave too often became just as hideous as the things it's supposed to be rallying against.)

I wouldn't care if strips like Maniac 5 or Slaughterbowl end up in the floppy, but I'd sooner they get to the back of the queue in a collection that still doesn't include the likes of Zenith, Red Seas, Firekind and Indigo Prime.

TordelBack

Quote from: I, Cosh on 22 September, 2017, 08:54:27 AM
One mans empty drivel is another man's frothy summer fun! With fabulous art. Out of interest, what were the other stories as I certainly wasn't reading anything else like it.

Lawks, I dunno, seemed like everything late '80s/early '90s drawn by Alan Martin, Philip Bond, Evan Dorkin, Jamie Hewlett and even Jamie Hernandez on occasion was kooky plotless meanderings with cute girls, SF gadgets and druggy overtones: and it wasn't as good as any of those! It might be fairer to say that I was bored, rather than it was boring: there's a sort of Pirate Corps$/Planet Swerve/Tank Girl mash-up in my head that probably needs unpicking, but by '93 I'd read too much of 'it'.

Obviously the Hughes art lifts it above the  awful, but perhaps a re-read would put the whole thing in a better light.

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 22 September, 2017, 01:18:49 PM
Quote from: I, Cosh on 22 September, 2017, 08:54:27 AM
One mans empty drivel is another man's frothy summer fun! With fabulous art. Out of interest, what were the other stories as I certainly wasn't reading anything else like it.
Lawks, I dunno, seemed like everything late '80s/early '90s drawn by Alan Martin, Philip Bond, Evan Dorkin, Jamie Hewlett and even Jamie Hernandez on occasion was kooky plotless meanderings with cute girls, SF gadgets and druggy overtones: and it wasn't as good as any of those! It might be fairer to say that I was bored, rather than it was boring: there's a sort of Pirate Corps$/Planet Swerve/Tank Girl mash-up in my head that probably needs unpicking, but by '93 I'd read too much of 'it'.

Obviously the Hughes art lifts it above the  awful, but perhaps a re-read would put the whole thing in a better light.
Fair enough. I'll have to confess my complete ignorance of the first two and I only ever read Tank Girl after the fact. So, perhaps it seemed fresher to me. In addition, I don't mind a bit of zaniness to offset the polemics and brutality: Hewligan's Haircut and Shamballa go together like a horse and marriage...
We never really die.

The Monarch

oh my god haircut time flies AND shamballa ran in the same progs didn't they? :lol:

Rara Avis

My issues so should be in the post and I expect to receive them next week.

I had heard something that concerned me .. friend of a friend etc ... They said that sometimes Hatchette don't always send what they are supposed to so you *might* get two issues of say 45 and then none of 27.
Has anyone experienced this? One of the benefits (for me) of signing up was that everything would just be sent to me and I wouldn't have to worry about missing issues or orders not being sent at all etc etc

Say it ain't so...

IndigoPrime

So far – and we're, what, about 70 issues into the Dredd run? – I've had no missed issues, and none sent in error. I've had some prangs and damages, but received replacements whenever I've asked for one.

Tomwe

Quote from: Rara Avis on 22 September, 2017, 03:42:32 PM
My issues so should be in the post and I expect to receive them next week.

I had heard something that concerned me .. friend of a friend etc ... They said that sometimes Hatchette don't always send what they are supposed to so you *might* get two issues of say 45 and then none of 27.
Has anyone experienced this? One of the benefits (for me) of signing up was that everything would just be sent to me and I wouldn't have to worry about missing issues or orders not being sent at all etc etc

Say it ain't so...

Any packing or printing errors like this can be sorted via a DM to the Facebook page, or directly with Hachette customer services though I recommend the former.
I've had a few 'one off' printing errors replaced, as well as one line wide mistake. Usually takes a couple of weeks for replacements to arrive but they do come.

IndigoPrime

If you do need replacements, it might also be worth asking them if they can be packaged well. I got a Total War replacement that looked like someone had used it as a football, because it was sent loose in a thin bubblewrap envelope.

marko10174

It's Shakara and Strontium dog next isn't it? do they all get sent out at the same time? or depending on when you subscribed?

IndigoPrime

With the Dredd collection, deliveries happened across a four-week period. I've no idea whether that's the case with this one. There's definitely at least a little variance, however.

Jade Falcon

Why does that list have so many Slaine and Strontium Dog?  Nothing against them, but there are so many stories that could be done.  For instance, I see no mention of the VC's.  I have the two graphic novels, but the last one was left at a bit of a cliffhanger, also, Savage, is there going to be more material than what has been printed already?  I also assume it won't have the spin off Savage story (Disaster was it?) where he drove around flooded Britain in a DUKW.  Just how far will Rogue be taken, I have the 6 graphic novels that were released originally, the 86ers and the Extreme Edition with Cinnibar.

I'm surprised that there seems to be none of the future sports like Harlem Heroes/Inferno or Mean Streets.

Is there anything else people would like to have seen?
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 23 September, 2017, 08:09:29 PM
I'm surprised that there seems to be none of the future sports like Harlem Heroes/Inferno or Mean Streets.

Future sport has always been the least popular strip category in 2000AD since forever.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 23 September, 2017, 08:09:29 PMIs there anything else people would like to have seen?
Loads, as noted elsewhere. But this is a collection about heavy-hitters (of which Sláine and Strontium Dog are arguably the biggest). Perhaps if it's a success, an extension will allow more tales to be collected.

As for one of your specific points, I doubt Savage will be much or anything beyond what's already been released by Rebellion in paperback.

Rara Avis

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post, I am certainly relieved to hear this feedback. I'm not on facebook so I won't have that option but in the (unlikely) event of an error I won't have to worry needlessly.

Jade Falcon

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 23 September, 2017, 08:13:17 PM
Quote from: Jade Falcon on 23 September, 2017, 08:09:29 PM

Future sport has always been the least popular strip category in 2000AD since forever.

I must admit that I did like Harlem Heroes, which I had initially got in the Extreme Edition.  I was eager to read Inferno, even though some of the national stereotypes in Heroes were a bit....over the top.

Inferno just didn't seem as good a read, and I remember Mean Streets, but if it wasn't reprinted I wouldn't be bothered as I wasn't a fan (no pun intended) at the time.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov