Main Menu

Werewolves in 2000AD

Started by wrly_bird, 25 June, 2009, 12:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "Emperor"Pipped at the post :(

Well, given that I made the original pitch -- what? -- eleven or twelve years ago and haven't done anything with it since, I don't really think I can complain about getting pipped to the post with it!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

wrly_bird

Gah! Does anyone know where I can download the Meco soundtrack? Apparently it was never released on CD...

Emperor

Quote from: "Jim_Campbell"
Quote from: "Emperor"Pipped at the post :(

Well, given that I made the original pitch -- what? -- eleven or twelve years ago and haven't done anything with it since, I don't really think I can complain about getting pipped to the post with it!

No I suppose not, perhaps headed off at the pass might be more appropriate if you'd ever thought about resurrecting the idea (which most repliers seem to think would be A Good Thing). Ah well.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: "wrly_bird"Thanks for the link Steev. Just found the Elmer Bernstein soundtrack on ebay too
//http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AN-AMERICAN-WEREWOLF-IN-LONDON-COMPLETE-SCORE_W0QQitemZ150354919770QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CDsDVDs_CDs_CDs_GL?hash=item2301da015a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1687%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

I thought this was a bit odd- considering they never released one! It's "The unofficial promo score to the 1982 classic horror movie, An American Werewolf in London. John Landis brought this great screenplay to life in the 80's, and the centerpoint of some incredible SFX. Elmer Bernstein was recommended to write the score, and he did a superb job. The official album release had only 2 or 3 sections of his score, but this has the complete version of all the soundtrack."

So, whatever it is, skanked from the vaults or taped off the telly, I'm afraid I have to have it! That's one for payday I think.

Cheers for this- more American Werewolfery lovliness.

Steev

john_s

Ah well...  You know what they say...  "It steam engines when it's steam engine time"...

It's a kind of law of nature, innit?  Get your ideas out there fast before some fucker else does!

john_s

Ugh!  Just read the blurb...  "three werewolf friends, Ted, Jeff, and Stan"...

Jim - do yours!

(Can you tell I'm pissed yet?)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "john_s"It's a kind of law of nature, innit?  Get your ideas out there fast before some fucker else does!

I still haven't forgiven you for killing a whole vampire proposal I'd been mulling over with one throwaway line in A Love Like Blood, you complete bastard.

(Did you ever get round to listening to the Killing Joke song of the same name, which ISTR from the heady days of alt.comics.2000ad, you hadn't actually heard when you wrote the series?)

Cheers!

Jim

Mike Gloady

Quote from: "Mardroid"Wasn't there a werewolf(ish) story in a Nikolai Dante tale last year too? Not the strict mythical shape-shifter, [spoiler:465r2x96]more a result of genetic engineering, if I remember correctly, but same area.[/spoiler:465r2x96] The Beast of Rudinshtein. (The graphic novel which covers lots of other stuff, but I seem to remember a fairly short story.)

The more recent Dante GNs are on my pile awaiting re-reading so my memory might not be up to much (indeed it's not that great on recently acquired information).  

However I seem to remember that it was in fact [spoiler:465r2x96]Viktor Romanov and he's more of a were....eagle.[/spoiler:465r2x96]
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

john_s

Quote from: "john_s"It's a kind of law of nature, innit?  Get your ideas out there fast before some fucker else does!

I still haven't forgiven you for killing a whole vampire proposal I'd been mulling over with one throwaway line in A Love Like Blood, you complete bastard.

(Did you ever get round to listening to the Killing Joke song of the same name, which ISTR from the heady days of alt.comics.2000ad, you hadn't actually heard when you wrote the series?)

Cheers!

Jim

What was the throwaway line, Jim?  (I did try to stick in every vampire idea I could think of and was quite pissed off that Andy Diggle made me condense the story so much...  As a love story, it needed a lot more room to breathe...)

Just watched the Killing Joke on youtube and it's pretty cool...  My favourite new band is The Airborne Toxic Event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL_NcoCJgzo

Thery're BRILLIANT!  Hope you get the same teenage-kid-in-your-bedroom buzz off them I did!  ;-)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "john_s"What was the throwaway line, Jim?

There was a passing mention to vampire plans to trigger the Yellowstone supervolcano, thereby blotting out the sun for decades.

I'd had a vampire proposal on ice for many years ... so old that it originally used a nuclear winter to achieve the same thing, but the end of the Cold War kind of put the kybosh on that. And then I read something about Yellowstone and in the back of my head a connection was made ...

And then you go and kill the thing stone dead with one passing remark in about episode two!

Gah!

Jim

Emperor

Quote from: "john_s"What was the throwaway line, Jim?

There was a passing mention to vampire plans to trigger the Yellowstone supervolcano, thereby blotting out the sun for decades.

I'd had a vampire proposal on ice for many years ... so old that it originally used a nuclear winter to achieve the same thing, but the end of the Cold War kind of put the kybosh on that. And then I read something about Yellowstone and in the back of my head a connection was made ...

And then you go and kill the thing stone dead with one passing remark in about episode two!

Gah!

Unless it is the surprise twist/ending or an irreplaceable component of the story then I can't see there being too big a problem. I'm sure there must be other ways to get a similar result (even if the story needed tweaking to accommodate it - sometimes a story can benefit from a return to the drawing board), although I won't throw in any examples as I think your chips are already swimming in piss  :twisted:
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

TordelBack

QuoteI'd had a vampire proposal on ice for many years ... so old that it originally used a nuclear winter to achieve the same thing, but the end of the Cold War kind of put the kybosh on that.

Not to further spray yellow rain on an entertaining parade, but wasn't there an episode of Forever Knight that dealt with that idea?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "TordelBack"Not to further spray yellow rain on an entertaining parade, but wasn't there an episode of Forever Knight that dealt with that idea?

Quite possibly. I think I've now quite neatly illustrated the glacial pace at which my brain develops story ideas and why I'll never be able to earn a living from writing!

Cheers

Jim