Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

My girlfriend got me for my birthday (amongst other things) the DVD of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the original 1971 version, not the 2005 remake).

Always a favourite of mine, I hadn't seen it in years and was an absolute joy to watch again. It's weird how films you grew up with seem so much shorter when you watch them now!

I really appreciated the songs and music a lot more on this viewing, whereas I used to fast forward through most of them as a kid - admittedly I did still skip over Mrs Bucket's Cheer Up Charlie song (it's interminable and stops the film dead imo), but Pure Imagination - in fact the whole scene featuring that song - is just perfect.

It's a pretty weird film to look at (weren't character actors ugly back in the day?) and it has that old school effect of over-saturating the colours which gives everything a sickly feel, but it's all part of the charm. My girlfriend and I especially appreciated the film's attitude to (and treatment of) children - a pretty cathartic watch in today's world of spoiled brats - I suspect a modern film wouldn't dare to be so scathing - most children's films are so bland and sugar-coated these days.

By contrast, I find the aforementioned Tim Burton remake utterly unwatchable - everything about it is deeply off-putting, especially the art direction - generally a highlight of any Burton movie. I didn't even like Depp in the role, and he's usually great.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I have a t-shirt of Gene Wilder as Wonka, flanked by 2 Oompa-loompas. Printed beneath is the word DRUGS

Burton's remake is terrible, but at least he didn't do it in his cliched faux-victoriana style
You may quote me on that.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: pops1983 on 13 April, 2011, 07:06:36 PM
Burton's remake is terrible, but at least he didn't do it in his cliched faux-victoriana style

Surely Burton is the perfect choice for a Steampunk movie... or am I forgetting one he has done already?

klute

Well today i watched the crazies and zombieland....im not really a zombie/horror fan but found both entertaining and enjoyable to watch and wound recommend watching them.

few questions though

1. Sky + screwed up at the end of [spoiler]zombieland what happened after woody and jesse turned up at the amusement park?? i got up to the bit with jesse running to help the girls[/spoiler]

2 I assume at the end of [spoiler]the crazies the sheriff and wife were killed? or were they just contained?[/spoiler]

loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

TordelBack

Quote from: radiator on 13 April, 2011, 01:44:29 PM
By contrast, I find the aforementioned Tim Burton remake utterly unwatchable - everything about it is deeply off-putting, especially the art direction - generally a highlight of any Burton movie. I didn't even like Depp in the role, and he's usually great.

Perversely I like them both - they're sufficiently different that each can be appreciated on its own merits.  Whereas the edge is much sharper in the '71 version, and Wilder is deeply weird in it, the '05 one has Deep Roy, squirrels, and some great songs and dance sequences.

The Adventurer

Eh. Just read the book both movies are pretty poor representations of the original material. Same goes for Wizard of Oz.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

radiator

Quotewhat happened after [spoiler]woody and jesse turned up at the amusement park?? i got up to the bit with jesse running to help the girls
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]They rescue the girls and all ride off into the sunset together, Columbus breaking his rule of 'Don't Be The Hero' in the process.

It feels to me as if the makers were intending to kill off Talahassee at the end (it certainly seems to be heading that way) but then realised that he's by far the best thing about the movie and decided that they might want to wring a few sequels out of it so they best keep him alive.[/spoiler]

I think Zombieland previously appeared on this thread - my take on it was that it's a very enjoyable film that falters slightly in the third act, which veers slightly too far into comedy with not enough horror - the [spoiler]Bill Murray[/spoiler] section especially. The first half is truly great, though.

I, Cosh

Quote from: The Adventurer on 13 April, 2011, 08:39:38 PM
Eh. Just read the book both movies are pretty poor representations of the original material. Same goes for Wizard of Oz.
This. When I was a kid I absolutely loathed the film of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I never knew there was a cartoon version of Pooh until I was quite a bit older, but I probably wouldn't have liked that much either.
We never really die.

The Adventurer

Strangely enough, the upcoming Winnie the Pooh Disney film is looking to be AMAZING. It looks like they're adapting several of the stories in the book that haven't been adapted yet.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

HOO-HAA

Think we might be watching LET ME IN later on (the remake of John A. Lindqvist's LET THE RIGHT ONE IN for those unversed). I've medium to high hopes for it, even though it's a remake... 

Keef Monkey

We watched Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland last night. I enjoyed it more than I expected, but still did nothing for me really. Depp was good value in places, although whenever he slipped into his Scottish accent I couldn't understand a word (and I'm Scottish). That bit at the end where [spoiler]he did a weird dance[/spoiler] made me cringe massively for some reason. I shouldn't be too harsh on it, it's a kids film and not an awful one at that.

TordelBack

Shopgirl. Watched while trying to work last night.  I have a soft spot for Clare Danes, and few people have made me laugh as much as Steve Martin has over the years, but this seemed to be an oddly-pitched attempt to make another Lost in Translation.  Odd elements of farce sat badly with the rather tragic main plot.  Couldn't seem to decide whether it was a romance or a rom-com, but it was nicely shot and mildly diverting. 

Keef Monkey

Blade Runner, again. But with Scott's commentary for added trivia.

vzzbux

The missus is watching Space Camp at the moment. Just recognised the snotty little kid as Joaquin Phoenix.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Albion

Clash of the Titans, the new one.

I enjoyed it but the set up and narration dragged a bit for me at the start and I thought that Ralph Fiennes, as Hades, was just playing Voldemort again.
Very interesting to see the location in Wales that was also used for Judge Minty.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.