Main Menu

Stay tuned, earthlets - exciting Dredd movie news ...

Started by Molch-R, 22 July, 2011, 12:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 23 July, 2011, 12:50:09 AM
Quote from: blackmocco on 23 July, 2011, 12:35:45 AM
Think Star Trek's back to Xmas 2012, Joe. No script yet.

Still 2012 though, a full year.

If 18 months post production is the average amount of time for a genre SCI-FI film don't expect Star Trek 2 until well into 2013.

Psidude

I think if Johan Hex can get a cinema release i think dredd will be ok! this is just wishful thinking on my part,but i think with karl urbans last film priest being very dredd like with the mega city- cursed earth look,putting the film back could be for the best ,like super was put back a year when kick ass came out! just a thought :)

IAMTHESYSTEM

Well if it's bad it's bad and there's nowt we can do about it.

John Wagner,   Judge Dredd's Co creator  seemed pretty positive about what he'd seen on the Films set so surely that's something to consider. No idea what he's said recently since I will never have a twitter or Farcebook account. Any gossip about the Movie either good or bad tends to get reported here on the threads pretty quickly so the Intel hub will report any mis givings if or when they come out.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 23 July, 2011, 12:22:49 AM
Quote from: Buddy on 22 July, 2011, 05:25:09 PM

What I'm on about is that post production on a movie usually doesn't take 18 months to complete.

A film sitting on the shelf is a film losing money. I'd have expected it to be out on DVD by next September.

Films that are delayed in release are usually delayed because the studio doesn't have faith in the film.

Talk about jumping to conclusions. The 18 months ain't about post-production, it's a non-argument.

Unfortunately/fortunately 2012 happens to be the biggest year for genre/comic adaptations in film history out-the-gate almost from Jan/Feb with Star Wars 3D, Ghost Rider, Wrath of the Titans & John Carter, right through the Summer with Avengers, Batman 3, Prometheus, Star-Trek 2, Spider-Man, Bourne Legacy, Total Recall, G.I. Joe 2.

The Hobbit, Django Unchained, Bond 23, Halloween 3D, Twilight, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D all pencilled for the Nov/Dec.

September is the only real window for Dredd that doesn't have BIG competition unless you count Looper, Resident Evil or the Expendables 2.

This sums it up very well, timing is everything. As for you Buddy think of it like releasing your beloved pet (project) into the wild, you wouldn't release into a dark wood full of wolves who would rip your beloved pet into little blooded shredded pieces now would you , no?No ,you would release it in open clear fields ,where it could run, run free , run Forest run ..erm sorry wrong film -but you get my point  :D

Teivion

Oh Good grief people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

John Carter Of Mars finished shooting before Dredd even started filming- its been in post for nearly over two years.
Batman was only a few months behind Dredd too, and its a month or so ahead of Dredd's release- but then its got much more $$ to push it through the mill faster .

The fact that its release date is set for September is in no way a sign of anything to do with its quality or predicted success- as has been clearly stated before- its the sign that the studio WANT it to do well and as such have moved it out of the 1 week wonder summer blockbusters and into a much more competitive time slot, thus giving it far more chances or being a financial success. The film is quite a small production compared to the likes of Batman etc, and to even think it has a chance of grabbing bill boards, TV slots and the like along with the promo spent behind Batman is pretty silly- it cant compete with that amount of promo and would just get lost.

People need to stop being so defeatest...... :o

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Buddy on 23 July, 2011, 09:05:45 AM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 23 July, 2011, 12:50:09 AM
Quote from: blackmocco on 23 July, 2011, 12:35:45 AM
Think Star Trek's back to Xmas 2012, Joe. No script yet.

Still 2012 though, a full year.

If 18 months post production is the average amount of time for a genre SCI-FI film don't expect Star Trek 2 until well into 2013.

I never said 18 months post-production is the average amount of time for a SCI-Fi film. As I said Post-production ain't the issue. The Amazing Spider-man aint too far off the Dredd production/release time-frame either -won't be out till next July, it started filming last December- but that has a higher budget and larger resources plus would you rather them release Dredd to go up against Spider-man in July/August?

I don't see the point using whatever new info is released about this film as an excuse to beat it -especially something like a release date- or that every decision that is made is an indication that it's badly made and that it hasn't a chance especially since none of us know, there's no reason in that...or maybe you just want it to fail.

Noisybast

Chill, people. The film will be as good as the team can make it.

If it turns out to be awesome, I'll be a very happy squaxx.

If not, I've still got a bajillion back-issues and TPBs within easy reach and no shortage of new comics to keep me going.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

future123

I don't think anyone can say with absolute confidence the release date is because it's the best slot in 2012. No-one here knows how long Dredd's post production has taken.

The filming ended in February. Assuming post production started in March, how long would that take? Let's take an uneducated guess of six months maximum to add the soundtrack, the audio, the CGI effects, to do the editing, and any modification of the 3D effect. The film would be almost complete around August plus any extra time added to do trailers, posters and other promotional stuff - interviews for magazines, perhaps a promotional website. Let's say the film is totally complete by September or October. That means there's an eleven or twelve month gap before the film's release.

The problem with a September release is kid go back to school, teenagers go back to college, university. The mindset could be "summer's over, I'm less inclined to go to the cinema."  This may explain why there's a big drop in September's box office.

A spring release could have been better? Maybe. It's not the same as the summer season when the big budget films are out but April is the last month before the first big releases in May. April may have been the best month for its release?

The long gap could be because Lionsgate have seen the rough cut and not been impressed. It's possible. That may not be the reason but nobody knows why the film has got such a long post production period. Perhaps the film is a stinker or perhaps it's going to wow people in the September slot? Who knows.

SmallBlueThing

Just out of interest, does anyone have to hand info on the gap between wrap and release for a) the stallone dredd, and b) district 9?
SBT

JOE SOAP

Quote from: future123 on 23 July, 2011, 11:30:23 AMThe problem with a September release is kid go back to school, teenagers go back to college, university. The mindset could be "summer's over, I'm less inclined to go to the cinema."  This may explain why there's a big drop in September's box office.

It's not a kids film though, it'll  be R-rated in the States and 15/18 in Ireland & UK. It's a genre film for an older audience and September is a better time to release a film like that after a Summer of popcorn. I'm surprised Prometheus is scheduled for June though there will be both PG13 and R-rated cuts of the film to be viewed by Warners and that may change the release date.

QuoteA spring release could have been better? Maybe. It's not the same as the summer season when the big budget films are out but April is the last month before the first big releases in May. April may have been the best month for its release?

Spring is similar to Autumn but Dredd has more competition in Spring with John Carter, Star Wars 3D, Ghost Rider etc.

QuoteThe long gap could be because Lionsgate have seen the rough cut and not been impressed. It's possible.

That wouldn't really explain the September release though and I don't think they'd be be willing to throw a load more money to fix anything like that, they'd more likely just finish and release it. There'd still be time anyway to address reshoots if the release was next Spring. All indications from the crew are that the shoot, at least, went well.

DrRocka

Never ever bloody anything ever

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 23 July, 2011, 11:37:34 AM
Just out of interest, does anyone have to hand info on the gap between wrap and release for a) the stallone dredd, and b) district 9?

I know District 9 took two and a half years to produce but the shoot started in Spring 2008 and it was released in August 2009. Not too far shy of Dredd and D9 was released in a less jam-packed year for genre films. The director had all ready tested the waters with the short 'Alive in Jo'burg'. Not sure if the Stallone Dredd is particularly comparable.

JOE SOAP

Psidude

Well its a knocking bet we will get a dredd trailer at comic com! shame it will comic com 2012 ;)

dracula1

Here's a small glint of hope to ease the pain away of another year waiting for DREDD. A New Scientist feature states someone has built a working time machine.

;)