Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerrin

Battle: Los Angeles. Bloody awful. The effects were good, the firefights were good but the script and dialogue sucked shit so badly it cancelled out any visual positives. Way, way too much shaky camera work. And people reckon Skyline is even worse? Holy shit.

El Chivo

Buried
Pretty cool. Impressed how they kept the tension throughout the film with the limited setting.

Chi

Professor Bear

Quote from: Kerrin on 24 March, 2011, 07:54:20 AMAnd people reckon Skyline is even worse?

I came out of Battle: Los Angeles quite happy.

That is how bad Skyline is.

mygrimmbrother

I'm really hoping I don't hate Battle LA. TBH, I didn't hate Skyline... it wasn't a great film or even a good film, but it wasn't as bad as I was led to believe.

Professor Bear

That is because your mind cannot process how bad it was.  It's essentially laying in a prison shower sobbing right now after being bummed by Nazis, but it will come out the other end stronger.

Keef Monkey

Zombieland. I'd seen it but Amy hadn't, we had a good laugh. It's a fun film, not as witty or funny as it aims to be, but it's got it's moments and overall it's an enjoyable romp.

SmallBlueThing

That 'Legend of Ron Burgandy' thing on the telly the other night, with that bloke in from those American comedies. It was alright.

SBT

SMOKESCREEN:ED:9

Baywatch the movie. Directors cut. Wet.

Professor Bear

Pearl Harbor.  Very, very funny, and probably my favorite Michael Bay movie.  The Affleck/Beckinsale love letter scene was hilarious, as was seeing xenophobic Japanese imperialists keep track of the days with a huge English-language calendar, A Japanese soldier not seen before or after praying to his ancestors in Engrish, and there's a jaw-droppingly funny moment when Kate Beckinsale's face lights up as she sees the best friend of the guy she's waiting for get off a plane, then he turns and starts pulling the guy's coffin off the plane with impeccable comic timing.  It's just hysterical, and my main gripe is that it has the Pearl Harbor attack slap bang in the middle of things.  "Here's a half hour of cool-looking footage of Our Boys being exploded by terrorists" Erm... okay.
The black guy shoehorned into things for no reason whatsoever was also kind of funny, as was the brave yanks off to avenge Pearl by firebombing civilians and then being captured by the human versions of the goblins from Lord Of the Rings - because seriously, do not let anyone tell you the Japanese are portrayed as anything other than cowardly subhuman scum in this - and then the whole internment thing is not even remotely addressed even though the poor treatment of black soldiers... well, okay, that wasn't addressed either, it was just sort of alluded to.
Then to cap it all off, a craptacularly awful Faith Hill song that is somehow also funny, even though it is actually quite terrible.

The Incredible Hulk.  Hulk's a bit rubbery, there's far too much "yak yak yak" and Leonard Samson is played by Ed O'Neill's son-in-law Phil from the tv show Modern Family so I simply cannot take him seriously at all, but when it stops winking at the camera - which it does far too much - and gets to the Hulk snapping a car in two and then wearing it like boxing gloves to wail the shit out of Abomination, or pulling the bone out of someone's arm to stab them with it, it's great fun.  The space between the fun stuff is just too large, and it really needs a massive Hulk wobbler to start things off rather than waiting twenty minutes to only give us a glimpse.

The Legendary Shark

"Burn After Reading" on ITV1.

Better than I thought it would be - basically intelligence guys trying to make sense out of things that make no sense. Clooney really has that mildly insane thing off to a tee, now.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

House of Usher

STRIKE !!!

Mardroid

Kick-Ass.

[spoiler]They're more costumed vigilantes than super-heroes in my mind considering the death toll, (particularly  Big Daddy and Hit Girl). I suppose that makes sense when you carry the theme through to it's conclusion: i.e. if you have no powers and you are outnumbered by armed mafioso, it's basically a case of kill or be killed.

It's not just the armed guys who get slaughtered though! What about the hand-cuffed guy in the car? Sure he was a scum-bag, but it wasn't as if he was doing anything.[/spoiler]

That's not really a criticism though. I enjoyed it a lot. Great film. I just have an idea my concept of superheroes might be a bit outdated.

I've yet to read the collection. So far I've just read a chunk of Kick-Ass 2 as shown in Clint, (up to the rottweiler 'sic balls' scene) and the very first comic issue of the first run. (The DVD came with a mini version of the first issue. Unfortunately they seem to skimp on the DVD extras for this particular release.)

I'm watching a curious film at the moment. It's one of those low budget films on the Syfy channel: Paradox. It's a kind of film noir type film about a world who's technology is based on magic instead of science. Then a dead body turns up killed by a mysterious projectile that was forced through the air at high speed without magic! Shock, horror!

Actually it's quite fun. I've missed bits though. That's what I get for reading stuff on this site and typing posts at the same time. (Muli-tasking isn't my strong point.) I wonder if it's based on a comic. They keep showing comic book style panels on certain changes of scene.

Mardroid

Ugh. [spoiler]Sappy ending.[/spoiler] I love the concepts though.

Oh, and one google later, turns out it IS based on a comic. But then a lot of you probably knew that already.

(Bear with me, I like comics but I'm a bit behind on a lot of them.)

Radbacker

there is a new Asylum (you know the company that release low budget but similar name mockbusters straight to DVD just as the big name blockbuster is on at the cinema
0 relaease called Battle for (or of) LosAngeles, this is now ready to watch tonight and i dare say it wont be any good.

CU Radbacker

Professor Bear

Quote from: Radbacker on 28 March, 2011, 02:48:11 AM
there is a new Asylum (you know the company that release low budget but similar name mockbusters straight to DVD just as the big name blockbuster is on at the cinema
0 relaease called Battle for (or of) LosAngeles, this is now ready to watch tonight and i dare say it wont be any good.

CU Radbacker

Seriously, don't watch it.

A beyond terrible film, it's not just an Asylum film, it's an Asylum co-production with fucking Syfy - you'd think it impossible to accelerate once you hit the bottom of the barrel, but they found a way.