Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

WARGROOVE on Switch. Just started it but it looks like it will scratch my Advance Wars itch.

Also Prof. Layton and Spectre's Call on my DSLite. Utterly charming and gentle puzzle solving in a slowly unravellj g mystery. The very opposite of twitch gaming and none the worse for it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

wedgeski

Picked up a few Switch games during last week's sale:

Cuphead: Insanely hard but I'm in for the amazing aasthetic.

Overcooked 2: Brilliant and hilarious. Throwing raw fish at my wife's head caused her to almost die with laughter (and in-game too).

Crypt of the Necrodancer: I'm a little tired of pixel art but this one is great fun in short doses.

Bastion: I didn't really like this on the PC but that was a couple of years ago and it was so cheap I had to give it another go. I now have £2 of regret. The combat just leaves me cold.

Rately

Quote from: GrudgeJohnDeed on 11 October, 2019, 08:37:25 PM
I see the pros of streaming as incredible convenience, you can play in more places, and have less clutter like you said. I think we'll probably all be streaming one day, really!

The services are all a bit different and we don't know all the details yet on some of them, but the main cons are that input lag and dips in the quality of the stream are possible, depending on your internet speed, location and the service itself. I could also see situations where the game someone would like to play isn't on their preferred platform, lots of money exchanging hands for service-exclusivity on games that would usually be multi-platform.

Google seems like they're aiming for the most devices out of the gate, Chromecast, PC, some Smart TVs, mobile. Xcloud will stream to Console, PC and Mobile they say, and if you have an Xbox you'll be able to turn it into your very own Xcloud server. PlayStation Now is just PS4 and PC for now I think, but you have to imagine everyone will want to be on every device sooner rather than later.

Personally, I'm drawn towards Xcloud the most, because I have an Xbox and also there were some leaked patents for an Xbox controller that attaches to tablets and phones. Big fan of the controller, and I have a 10" tablet I'd love to play Xbox on in bed! I assume latency will be very low around the house if I'm using my own Xbox as the server too.

Cheers for the advice.

I think I'll wait until the New Year when we get a better idea of what services are available, the pricing and  gubbins are all announced.

I'd lean towards the Xbox service myself, as I was a massive Xbox and Xbox 360 fan.

Professor Bear

If only for the lower price of setting it up, I'd go retro for a gaming station, as there are wider issues with streaming - particularly videogame companies' inclusion of gambling mechanics and their disturbing social engineering tactics in pushing towards live services specifically to encourage addictive behavior and social pressure in players because that directly leads them to impulse-spend.
And that's not even taking into account the annoying exclusivity wars between Epic/Steam and Sony/Microsoft.
If you've been away from gaming for a while, you'll already have a massive backlog of good games to get through from the previous generations of consoles, anyway.  I'd also invest in something like the SNES or PS1 Classic that come with loads of games pre-installed, as apart from being dirt cheap, it doesn't take much to add new games to their memory through your PC, and there's an absolute ton of Gameboy Advance titles that work really well on a big tv, particularly the Zelda, Advance Wars and Metroid games.

Dandontdare

I like what I've been reading about "untitled goose game" - looks a lot of fun, so I looked it up on Steam - "available late 2020" - WTF?

Rately

Quote from: Professor Bear on 15 October, 2019, 11:39:42 AM
If only for the lower price of setting it up, I'd go retro for a gaming station, as there are wider issues with streaming - particularly videogame companies' inclusion of gambling mechanics and their disturbing social engineering tactics in pushing towards live services specifically to encourage addictive behavior and social pressure in players because that directly leads them to impulse-spend.
And that's not even taking into account the annoying exclusivity wars between Epic/Steam and Sony/Microsoft.
If you've been away from gaming for a while, you'll already have a massive backlog of good games to get through from the previous generations of consoles, anyway.  I'd also invest in something like the SNES or PS1 Classic that come with loads of games pre-installed, as apart from being dirt cheap, it doesn't take much to add new games to their memory through your PC, and there's an absolute ton of Gameboy Advance titles that work really well on a big tv, particularly the Zelda, Advance Wars and Metroid games.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Would really love to set up a retro gaming system, but need to do some research to get most value out of it, and hoping it isn't too complicated a process.

Link Prime

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 October, 2019, 11:56:52 AM
I like what I've been reading about "untitled goose game" - looks a lot of fun, so I looked it up on Steam - "available late 2020" - WTF?

Welcome to the miserable world of the console gamer, DDD.
Hang on there a minute while I download a digital mini violin.

GordyM

Guacamelee 2. Being able to turn into a chicken that looks like it's having a panic attack when it runs around means this is officially the greatest game of all time in this or any other universe.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

Dandontdare

Quote from: Link Prime on 18 October, 2019, 01:52:50 PM
Hang on there a minute while I download a digital mini violin.

:lol:

Apestrife

Starcraft & Brood war Remastered I just finished the last of brood war. Tough campaign. I can confess I only played half of the main game, and then switched to cheats. It's a really good strategy game, but a bit too hard and time consuming for me. Fantastic mix of micro management, chess and rock paper scissors. Only draw back is the sometimes lacking path finding of units. Protos dragons getting stuck in stairs or SCVs getting stuck between supply depots haha. As said, just a bit too hard for me.

I actually mostly play it for it's story line. I really like it how gritty it is. It's Star wars without the force and cute stuff. The main campagin especially, with it's cutscenes of human moments of regular marines getting butchered by Protos and Zergs. A couple of marines using a nuclear bomb case to store beer or someone in his last moment shouting out to his friend "Sarge I love you". Brood war dialed down on it, but I still think it had a hardened feel to it. Especially in gameplay.

Shame star craft 2 didn't do it for me in the story department. Too "heroic" or something.

JamesC

The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past

I've just completed a play through of this. Did I enjoy it? Sort of. It's obviously a really well made game but it's the presentation that impresses most. The gameplay experience was very up and down. I actually feel similar to the way I felt about Breath of the Wild - there's a ton of great stuff there, and when it all works its really fun and satisfying - but there's way too much irritating stuff to spoil the overall experience.
The combat is, frankly, rubbish which makes boss battles more of a chore than something to look forward to.
I find the music irritating (I played most of it with the TV muted) and the general tweeness is a bit hard to bear.
The dungeons are the games strong point and some of them are really enjoyable. I really liked the first few and I actually quite liked the Ice Palace. The Swamp and Woodland ones were a pain in the arse though. I almost gave up on it around that time because I just wasn't enjoying the game. I'm glad I stuck with it but I have to say, I doubt I'll ever play through it again.
I struggle to see why so many regard it as 'best game ever' material, or even the best Zelda game. It's excellent in terms of scope and presentation and there are a ton of good ideas but as a complete package it isn't quite as impressive as, for example, Super Metroid.
I'm getting my money's worth out of the SNES mini though - I might try one of the RPGs at some point

Professor Bear

Generation Zero is not the greatest game ever - I picked it up second hand for a fiver having never heard of it - but the wide open world that replicates the feeling of real countryside where human contact and structures are few and far between combined with the lack of outrageous elements make for a more sedate and immersive take on the FPS, which I liked.
There's a pretty hefty day one update that fixes a huge number of problems with the base game, but these huge flaws actually made for a more immersive story experience, as they steered you away from combat and hoarding combat supplies (that you can't use because of borked controls) and instead made you sneak about avoiding contact with the clumsy-looking but deadly dog-sized robots while piecing together from notes and clues what happened to the now-missing population of the small Swedish island where the game is set.  After the update installs, it becomes a much more accessible and easily-played FPS game in which you get on-screen pointers to nearby enemies when they start to track you, rather than just having to listen out for telltale signs of nearby danger, as well as a completely redesigned menu and inventory, an onscreen stamina bar - but even though it becomes a more playable game after the update, I would argue it also becomes less interesting and unique.
Until you update to the current version of the game through the patch, you can't connect to the multiplayer game, so it's just you wandering around this huge play area, but after the update it's an online multiplayer experience, so effectively there are two games here: a below-average online shooter, and an unexceptional but immersive, slow-paced and atmospheric first-person stealth game - which game you get depends on whether or not you install the patch.
Flawed, but interesting.

GordyM

Layers of Fear 2: You play an actor invited to shoot a mysterious film onboard a ship, directed by an unseen director who encourages you to go to a dark place and do terrible things. The ship becomes ever more warped and hellish in a Silent Hill type way as you discover the truth behind who you are and why you're here.
I'd say this is well worth the time for any survival horror fans.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

dweezil2

Still waiting for this to turn up, but looking forward to firing up my old Megadrive again to give the new home brew game Xeno-crisis a blast!

It looks and sounds bloody awesome!!!

https://youtu.be/pjrhPtxogw8
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

GrudgeJohnDeed

Quote from: dweezil2 on 29 October, 2019, 11:27:49 PM
Still waiting for this to turn up, but looking forward to firing up my old Megadrive again to give the new home brew game Xeno-crisis a blast!

It looks and sounds bloody awesome!!!

https://youtu.be/pjrhPtxogw8

You lucky git :) I'm a bit skint or I'd be getting the GOG version right now!