Main Menu

2000ad All female creative teams in 2018 Summer Special

Started by Colin YNWA, 07 February, 2018, 06:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big_Dave

this seems like a mercenary gimmick to grab a bit of mainstream attention

pauljholden

Quote from: Smith on 11 February, 2018, 09:00:57 AM
I dont want to be that guy,but this seems like a mercenary gimmick to grab a bit of mainstream attention,tbh.

Don't be that guy, that guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Old Tankie on 11 February, 2018, 09:30:49 AM
Well, hopefully the gimmick will work, why shouldn't my granddaughter have the same opportunity as my son.
Quite. And perhaps it'll encourage more women to read the Prog, which means more readers, which means more chance of long-term survival. And perhaps it'll encourage more people to introduce daughters/female friends to it, not least as and when there are more female creators. Wider worldview are a positive thing.

As for sales gimmicks, that set of images from Big_Dave is interesting. I'd sooner 2000 AD was in the news for encouraging more women within an industry dominated by men than having cheesecake art on the cover, or giving Farage oxygen. (And, yes, I know Farage was lampooned, but I'd sooner he was ignored entirely. For him, it really is a case of no publicity is bad publicity, and humanising far-right scumbags has cost this country dearly. The likes of Have I Got News For You? have a lot to answer for having the likes of jim, Johnson, and Hartley-Brewer on as regulars.)

TordelBack

Personally I think 2000AD should have plain brown covers and be distributed from under the counter only to those who are already aware of what it contains, which should be the exact same every week.  Anything else is just manipulating consumers with flourishes and fripperies designed to separate the weak-willed from their cash. 

Colin YNWA

Quote from: M.I.K. on 11 February, 2018, 04:40:23 AM

Aside from everything else wrong with this... the only reason 2000 AD appeared when it did was because Star Wars was coming out the same year. The first issues featured Dan Dare, a Rollerball analogue and a story about a technology-enhanced secret agent bearing an uncanny resemblance to Lee Majors.

Regardless of edgy attitude, it was mainstream-aping and bandwagon-jumping from day one.

Good point well made!

Steven Denton

Quote from: Old Tankie on 11 February, 2018, 09:30:49 AM
Well, hopefully the gimmick will work, why shouldn't my granddaughter have the same opportunity as my son.

I agree with this 100%

I don't think it is a gimmick, but even if it was, so what? it's doesn't make it any less the right thing to do.

Steven Denton

Quote from: marko10174 on 10 February, 2018, 10:07:20 PM

This is a comment that was posted on the 2000ad facebook page. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Whilst I'm all for the empowerment of women in society, I've always felt that an important part of 2000ad's soul has been it's anti establishment, fuck off to the mainstream attitude. So in buying into the 2018 year of the women token societal gesture is in essence, conforming to popular cultural opinion and pressure. Doesn't seem very punk/fuck you, to me? Thoughts?

This is wrong on so many levels it's impressive.

1: 2000ad isn't anti establishment it's broadly socially progressive, if it appears anti establishment it's because the establishment is NOT socially progressive. Even it's embarrassing foray into Lad culture was an attempt to align itself with socially permissive 90's culture (lad culture, girl power, Oasis, the Spice Girls, Cool Britannia.) In fairness this is a bit of a black mark as it was chasing Deadlines wake and screwed the pooch pretty badly.

2: 'The 2018 year of the woman' thing is in fact abrasive, confrontational and anti establishment, you know, like punk.   

3: If you were 'all for the empowerment of women in society' than you wouldn't be referring to the sudden up swelling in women talking about being harassed or abused, publicly, and societies introspection over it's previous attitudes towards enabling/mitigating this kind or behaviour as '2018 year of the women token societal gesture' in an attempt to justify your distaste at maybe a few women getting to work in a comic.

jacob g

I will applaud to every little thing that destroys "boys club bubble" in comic book scene. This is not a sitcom version of cheap strip club where you seek refuge after argument with your wife.
margaritas ante porcos

Professor Bear

Dredd is a fascist, so the alt-right already have their representation in the comic.  Oh wait, I forgot - Dredd has a liberal agenda and is not conservative enough.

I would argue that 2000ad began with no political ethos, it was just broadly reactive to authority and took its cue from the popular attractions of the times, which it's more or less never stopped doing, even during the disappointing lows like the New Lad era of the 90s.
Suggesting that it needs to be more pro-establishment to be counter-cultural is laughable: we live in a country run by a small clique of neoliberals propped up by creationist rednecks (in turn funded by terrorist drug dealers) whose policy is dictated by lobbying groups and a cabal of non-dom billionaire media barons and abetted by the supposedly liberal media, so you have the far right, the right, the centrists, the liberals and even a portion of the left all in broad agreement that nothing must change - how exactly is agreeing with them "counter cultural"?

FWIW, 2000ad writers seem broadly centrist and anti-left if their social media chatter is any indicator, though there's the odd commie like Kek-W or Pat Mills.

Robin Low

Quote from: Professor Bear on 11 February, 2018, 01:32:05 PM
Dredd is a fascist, so the alt-right already have their representation in the comic.  Oh wait, I forgot - Dredd has a liberal agenda and is not conservative enough.

Most of his best friends are women. Although he did ensure that McGruder went out in a brutal hail of bullets, and not with a peaceful, dignified injection.

Regards,

Robin

Big_Dave

2000ad writers seem broadly centrist and anti-left

???!!!

Geoff

Yes, broadly reactive to authority is a good way of putting it...I've also thought of 200ad as being non-conformist and against officialdom.   

It's clear that on this forum the overwhelming feeling is a positive one regarding the Summer Special, it's a feeling I largely share.  It's important that people feel able to express contrary opinions though, or in Marko's case just raising something for discussion, without being called 'fucking idiots'. 

It would be a shame if this forum became the kind of unpleasant echo chamber that many on here criticize social media for being. 

Professor Bear

Quote from: Big_Dave on 11 February, 2018, 02:02:08 PM
2000ad writers seem broadly centrist and anti-left

???!!!

There's no rule that says 2k droids have to be foaming at the mouth Marxists and it's just my own observation that consensus seems anchored in the "left and right are all the same" school, with the odd detour into disapproval of some notable British lefty that's typically prompted by Graham Linehan retweeting a Guardian column.  YMMV, obvs.

Modern Panther

QuoteIt's important that people feel able to express contrary opinions though, or in Marko's case just raising something for discussion, without being called 'fucking idiots'

I'd apologise, but since society expects me to apologise, I wont.  That's how punk I am

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter how backward, bigoted, sexist and homophobic. And if you express that opinion on a public forum, people are entitled to call you a moron.  When we don't call people with these opinion morons, they are emboldened, and before we know what's happening, they're running the country.

marko10174

You're entitled to call people anything you want, of course in most cases there'll always be repercussions, and it's not productive at all. Ultimately this is why the world is so divided right now because people can't debate anymore with out becoming hostile and rude. If millions of people share views that are deemed as wrong, or dangerous, it would be more productive to challenge their views in a mature manner and try to get them on your side. Calling people fucking idiots or morons will never achieve that, it will just make them more disgruntled and less inclined to listen to you.