Main Menu

2000ad All female creative teams in 2018 Summer Special

Started by Colin YNWA, 07 February, 2018, 06:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

marko10174

Quote from: Big_Dave on 12 February, 2018, 09:18:27 PM
Ah, yes..."let's debate them.  It will force them into the light, and everyone will see their opinions for what they are, and they'll grow into better people and the world will be lovely."

It's gone well so far, hasn't it?  People who complain about " leftist SJWs" taking over the world, we frequently see them change their minds just because someone took the trouble to debate them, don't we?

nominate these 2 heros for kTTs (link)

This is a excellent example of people putting aside their biases and actually trying to understand (and learn from) other peoples points of views. Extreme, knee jerk reactions aren't always necessary, the "it's us verses them" attitude isn't helpful either. In the words of Alan Partridge.... "Jurassic park!" (I'm referring to the link)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: marko10174 on 12 February, 2018, 10:04:16 PM

This is a excellent example of people putting aside their biases and actually trying to understand (and learn from) other peoples points of views.

It's actually one very patient woman explaining to one man espousing a view not dissimilar to the one which you posted a quote supporting (but which isn't actually your view... or something) why he's wrong and the penny eventually dropping.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Very heartening that all it takes is for someone to imagine that their son might be a daughter,  in order to realise women might be actual people too.  :rolleyes: Makes you wonder what he thought the poor vessel of his seed was.

Look,  we've all been pricks about this in the past (worse pricks than we are now,  I mean), and I'm sure there is merit in bringing law to the lawless until death,  but you'd have to admit that this one sinner brought to Christ is an outlier in a sea of braying intransigents who delight in their ignorance and have dedicated their little lives to wasting the time of anyone who pauses long enough to engage.

marko10174

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 12 February, 2018, 10:15:33 PM
Quote from: marko10174 on 12 February, 2018, 10:04:16 PM

This is a excellent example of people putting aside their biases and actually trying to understand (and learn from) other peoples points of views.

It's actually one very patient woman explaining to one man espousing a view not dissimilar to the one which you posted a quote supporting (but which isn't actually your view... or something) why he's wrong and the penny eventually dropping.

Yes Jim, but she is not being obnoxious and rude about it. I would be much more inclined to listen to a person like that. I'm not a stubborn person, I'm willing to listen, and learn from others, and if I am wrong about something I'll happily admit I'm wrong.

TordelBack

Plenty of polite thoughtful replies in this thread, Marko,  given that the point being addressed is essentially "women: know your place".

marko10174

Actually there was, two views that didn't exactly come together in the end, but they didn't resort to becoming venomous. Agreeing to disagree. It might not have been the out come that you wanted, but they were respectful of each other to the very end, and thus took a step further forward.

EDazzling

"I'm a misogynist and if you explained it to me nicely I would have changed, but you didn't, so even tho you have explained it I still am one"

marko10174

Quote from: EDazzling on 12 February, 2018, 11:28:01 PM
"I'm a misogynist and if you explained it to me nicely I would have changed, but you didn't, so even tho you have explained it I still am one"

This is getting a bit tiresome, and petty. People are more inclined to take on board your points if you can do it in a respectful manner (some people aren't aware that they were being disrespectful to begin with until someone can politely point it out to them). If you start with "hey, you're a cu#t!, but let me enlighten you" all they will register is "you're a cu#t" and refuse to read on. Diplomacy! if you have the intelligence (and maturity) to change peoples views, then do it. Or you can continue to insult others you feel are beneath you and the vicious circle continues.

M.I.K.

You do remember you posted a quote earlier extolling the virtues of a "fuck you" attitude?

jacob g

margaritas ante porcos

Tjm86

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 February, 2018, 08:20:26 PM
Geoff,  the (admittedly hyperbolic) allusions to Nazis were by way of illustrating the point that some views are fundamentally wrong, and with those there can be zero compromise, even at the risk of perpetuating and entrenching divisions.

I have to admit, that was exactly how I read it.  I know that there is some old internet saw about resorting to a Nazi analogy being the equivalent of singing "LaLaLa, I'm not listening." but it is probably the finest example from History of why it is absolutely necessary to fight some ideas since they represent an aspect of the human condition that should not be allowed free reign.

Ultimately, the idea behind this special is surely a noble one; provide the opportunity to female creators to show off their skills and make a big deal out of it.  Considering that this is one Summer Special for a niche comic in a very crowded market, it is hard to see exactly why that is such a big deal. 

Ultimately Rebellion is a business.  Now granted that they seem to have decided to build their comics 'empire' on tapping into the passion that exists for the Tooth and for the nostalgia market, but they are in the business of making money. The decision has been made to tap into a moment, both current and historical, in which the status of women within society and within comics is being seriously questioned.  Is it a gimmick?  Quite possibly?  Is that a bad thing?  That is clearly subjective.  Positive discrimination is still discrimination, is it not. How it is seen depends on how it affects you personally.

At the end of the day they have made a business decision that celebrates the achievements of the some of the female creative talent that has graced the pages of Tooth over recent years.  On the plus side, this has sparked off a debate in these quarters that is actually quite heartening since their does seem to be a real sense in which this is a good thing.  Added to this seems to be a questioning of whether misogynistic voices are appropriate and should go unchallenged.  Personally though I really do hope that this succeeds on it's own merits and on the strengths of the creative talents of those involved.  If nothing else then, it will serve as a showcase for the opportunities that exist regardless of any defining characteristic of the individual, be it gender, age, sexuality / sexual identity, nationality, skin colour, creed, religion, mental health status ....

To me, that is sticking fingers up to the establishment, particularly this current government that really seem to want to make sure we know our place.

Richard

I know Rebellion's a business, but that doesn't mean they've done this for cynical reasons. It could just as easily be because they believe in it.

JamesC

Quote from: marko10174 on 12 February, 2018, 11:51:31 PM
Quote from: EDazzling on 12 February, 2018, 11:28:01 PM

This is getting a bit tiresome, and petty. People are more inclined to take on board your points if you can do it in a respectful manner (some people aren't aware that they were being disrespectful to begin with until someone can politely point it out to them). If you start with "hey, you're a cu#t!, but let me enlighten you" all they will register is "you're a cu#t" and refuse to read on. Diplomacy! if you have the intelligence (and maturity) to change peoples views, then do it. Or you can continue to insult others you feel are beneath you and the vicious circle continues.

But you show little respect to the creators who will be involved in this special. You dismiss it as a cynical marketing ploy and token gesture.
You may not be starting with "Hey, you're a cu#t" but you're starting with "Hey, you're a token woman".

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: marko10174 on 09 February, 2018, 05:58:21 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 07 February, 2018, 07:20:07 PM
Another victory in the hard left vegan Leninist cucktard sharia law SJW cultural Marxist purge of the straight white male from all creative media.  Next they'll be hunting us like dogs and we won't be safe in our own homes.

This!

...is the 'side' that Marko claims other boarders don't know he takes. I'm sorry, but in vociferously agreeing with such a comment*, you've already declared your side.

*also missing the point that the good prof was clearly taking the piss. Sorry, Gordon, but it's time this was made clear to him.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"