Main Menu

Doctors and hospitals in comics

Started by Dudley, 26 January, 2015, 12:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudley

Hi -

Can anyone think of stories or scenes from comics (any comics) that involve a trip to the doctors or a trip to hospital?  I'd be particularly interested in any that either show off a futuristic space hospital environment or really deal with the weirdness of the doctor's/hospital environment.

It's for a course I'm teaching in Medical Humanities so, honestly, any and all suggestions are very welcome :)

J

Greg M.

The obvious 'space hospital' candidates from 2000AD are Medivac 318 and Mercy Heights.

Dandontdare

and there's always this chap (can't post image from work PC)

Theblazeuk

Damn, Mercy Heights already taken :)

Legion of Superheroes was heavily set on a medical planet named 'Quarantine' during the Keith Giffen years. Dr Gim'yll also appeared heavily in the post-zero hour series, co-written by Mr Abnett of this parish.

Otherwise I'm quite stuck for comics!

Outside of comics ->

There are two bits in Empire Strikes Back where you see Luke in hospital I believe, once floating in the 'bacta' tank and at the end where he's got that little cut on his hand sorted out.

There's that episode of Doctor Who, 'New Earth' I believe, where cat-nuns run a hospital that inevitably has a zombie plague outbreak.

Alien has a med-bay, and in Aliens, Ripley wakes up in a med-ward on Gateway space station. Contrasts nicely with the rusty hospital ward in Alien 3, which is the first time I've said anything good about that movie. Star Trek also has em but in Star Trek a magic wand is all you need so possibly not the best example.

Robocop... older and newer.

ZenArcade

Not a comic but James White did a series of great Sci Fi novels about a multi species orbital hospital....Sector General if memory serves. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

JamesC

The 'Jigsaw Man' story in Judge Dredd.
There's also an episode of Dredd where a robo-doc goes berserk. Maybe one of the old robot wars stories?

JamesC

Actually there are loads of Dredd ones. What's the one where the little girl has her brain put in a robot body?

Professor Bear

I suspect Awesome Hospital is not entirely medically accurate, but it's there for free.
There was an old Spider-Man villain called Cardiac who was secretly a doctor, so there was lots of scenes set in hospitals around that time (mid-90s-ish, I presume this was because of the rise of medical dramas set in ERs), including a minor storyline about an antagonist/rival of Peter Parker's from the Daily Bugle getting cancer, though I can't help you much with issue numbers beyond that it was reprinted in the UK omnibus editions of the time like The Complete Spider-Man and/or Exploits of Spider-Man.
Crisis had some hospital scenes in the Straitgate strip (#50-53).

JamesC

Cardiac made a bit of a comeback during the recent Superior Spider Man arc. Cardiac was running a secret hospital which was treating people illegally with drugs that hadn't passed their tests yet.

Also, not exactly a hospital, but would the psychoanalysis scenes in Watchmen count?

ZenArcade

There's also the lab scene in War Machine where the GI friday job takes place. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

johnnystress

This page might be of interest

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Graphic-Medicine/

"Welcome to Graphic Medicine, the FB page for the website www.graphicmedicine.org It is my contention that comics/graphic fiction could be a useful resource for healthcare professionals, patients and carers."

Fungus

Dark Jimbo

There was Doc Maniacus in ABC Warriors: Shadow Warriors.

The five-part BPRD: Lake of Fire takes place mainly in a (post-apocalyptic) hospital.
@jamesfeistdraws

Dudley

Hawkmumbler

Naoki Urasawa's Monster has many medical facets and the main character is grade A surgeon.

Then their was Doctor Ferdinand in Steel Ball Run. But he was more a paleozoologist...