Main Menu

UK Comic Coventions

Started by Rio De Fideldo, 15 May, 2006, 10:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rio De Fideldo

If Dreddcon's not on this year what are the guaranteed UK Comic Conventions that we have to look forward to for 2006?

I was planning on going to Dreddcon without me wife and bairn as this year (the wife is off to New York with her cousin!)but if that is off as appears now what can I do for a weekend away.

Any thoughts?

DavidXBrunt

Save your money cause from the sound of it a con in February for the 30th isn't out of the question.

SamuelAWilkinson

Dreddcon's off? But it was going to be the first one I'd actually be able to make!

*cries*
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Mike Carroll

Rio... Come to Dublin in October for Octocon! It's not specifically a comics convention, but but there have been comics guests in the past (including Matt Smith, John Higgins, Paul J. Holden, Steve Dillion, Will Simpson, Garth Ennis, Paul Peart, John McCrea...). This year's guest list hasn't yet been finalised, so fingers crossed that this year there'll be some too.

It's also a damn good weekend! In fact, why doesn't EVERYONE come to Octocon in lieu of Dreddcon this year? If there are enough of us I'm sure we can make it an unofficial Dreddcon!

Check the Octocon website below: the site is still under construction, but I'm sure it won't be too long before it's all up and running!

-- Mike, the shameless promotor of cons at which he'll be a guest

Link: http://www.octocon.com" target="_blank">Octocon 2006 website

nick-is-at-home

paulvonscott

A shame if there isn't a Dreddcon, I was thinking of attending another festival this year as my festival 'burn out' seems to be over.  And Brighton may have just been a one off.  So what else is there?  Well, there is Caption, the small press festival I suppose.

Octacon... but surely that's in another country!?  I'd need a passport and it involves travel, which I've heard distorts your mind, making it 'broad' or something.

A bit unlikely I'd go in all honesty, but how much are stalls there, and do guys like the Sancho lot have stalls there, or any other comic people?

Cheers

Paul

Queen Firey-Bou

no moniaive, no dredd, no brighton ?!  its the end of the world as we know it, and i feel bereft.

john macShane had talked last year of a glasgow con, but there was very few of the scottish contingent at bristol this year, only Jim alexander out of the usual gang, and ive not heard any more of the glasgow thing. mebbe i'll mail him & nag, and cry, and whinge.

Mike Carroll

> Octocon... but surely that's in another country!? I'd need a passport and it involves travel, which I've heard distorts your mind, making it 'broad' or something.

Yes, it's far away across the sea in Oireland! Not too sure you need a passport: theoretically all you'll need is some sort of recognised photo ID (your driver's licence or Sissy Detector Kit from a copy of The Geezer), but a passport definitely wouldn't hurt.

> A bit unlikely I'd go in all honesty, but how much are stalls there, and do guys like the Sancho lot have stalls there, or any other comic people?

Well, Octocon tends not to have a huge number of dealers. Which could be a good thing because that way the punters won't have spent all their money by the time they get to your table!

- Mike

paulvonscott

Okay Mike, send me some details, and I'll seriously think about it.

Cheers

Paul

Keef Monkey

A glasgow convention would be cool, as it would mean I could actually go and see what it's like. Went to Moniaive once which was nice but I was broke at the time so couldn't really take advantage of it! And my girlfriend got a bit freaked out at how excited I got at the sight of Alan Grant.

Bolt-01

Why? what was he doing?

B'dummTisH!

Bolt-01

Keef Monkey

Absolutely nothing, just standing around. I didn't realise it was that easy to rub shoulders with the artists and writers etc, although I didn't so much rub shoulders with him as just stare at him a bit.
I gather from other threads and stuff that it's pretty common for a lot of you guys to meet the AD artists and stuff but it was my first sighting and the 8 year old in me was a little starstruck!

Thursday

Caption's still on for the 5th and 6th of August.  I went last year and (despite having to dash off stupidly early) had a very enjoyable time chatting to Jason Brashill and being utterly gobsmacked by the chap's sheer enthusiasm.  

Link: http://www.caption.org/" target="_blank">Caption Remix