Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vestibule

JamesC

Bloody Scots think they invented everything! :lol:

Spikes

Got back late yesterday from a three day stay at that there London.
Glorious, but draining weather, and my feet are now offically knacked. Good job ive two more days off before going back to work.
Shared a cramped and sweaty tube with Charles Dance - the actor, and caught this fella - with his best mate, patrolling the mean strrets of Soho, in the early hours...

Got lucky and was able to catch the Pompeii and Herculaneum exhibition at the British Museum,

along with the David Bowie exhibition over at the V&A.

Mind very much blown by both of these exhibitions. And a couple of weighty, and expensive, tomes from these to now to plough through, along with my backlot of progs, and IDW's.

Very tired, but very happy - thats me,  :thumbsup:

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteGot back late yesterday from a three day stay at that there London.

Me too, coincidentally.  Incredible weather, saw the Stones in Hyde Park, then two nights later met one of my favourite radio / telly people Adam Buxton after his a show in Ealing.  He's a ruddy gentleman to the core (and very small indeed).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dandontdare

I got to see the Kenneth Branagh/Alex Kingston Macbeth last night for free. It's part of the Manchester International Festival and actual tickets sold out within minutes. They did a live screening at a car park which was ticket-only, but it turned out to be just round the corner from my house and easily visible from the street, so I went along and it was pretty damn good!

SuperSurfer

Had a bit of a work drought lately. Well, properly paying work as I've been doing some poorly paid bits and pieces. But got a booking for a few weeks which is a relief. Oh well, nothing like the self-employed life.

TordelBack

Yesterday we received my daughter's cute graduation certificate and even cuter mortar-board photo in the post, marking her departure from pre-school for 'big school'.  The only problem here is that she is 3, and won't be going to school until September 2014.  On enquiring, it turns out that she convinced her carers (who have known her since she was 6 months old) that she is in fact 5, and duly lined up for her 'graduation' ceremony.  Bodes well for her getting served beer and fags.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 August, 2013, 12:45:04 PM
Yesterday we received my daughter's cute graduation certificate and even cuter mortar-board photo in the post, marking her departure from pre-school for 'big school'.  The only problem here is that she is 3, and won't be going to school until September 2014.  On enquiring, it turns out that she convinced her carers (who have known her since she was 6 months old) that she is in fact 5, and duly lined up for her 'graduation' ceremony.  Bodes well for her getting served beer and fags.

Again, where is the "LIKE" button?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tombo

Last year I got a very complicated looking letter from the tax man which I ignored, assuming that work would have sorted everything out.  A month later Inland Revenue took nearly £450 out of my £520 wages claiming that I'd also claimed nearly ten thousand pound in income support and other benefits in the previous year!  I'd been working for Argos for nearly two and a half years at this point, and only claimed income support for a couple of months after Woolies closed down.  I immediately wrote to the tax man and three weeks later I got all my money back plus the actual rebate for 50 odd quid I should have got in the first place.

With that back story in mind imagine the terror I felt when the other day I received a letter from HMCR.  Opening it I was very pleased to see a cheque for £29.80.  I decided to put the money in an ISA account I have and whilst looking for my paying in book this morning I found another book for an instant access account which I didn't even remember opening in 2007 with £55 in.  Between them they're not a fortune but I guess it means that I can not only pick up Trifecta when it comes out instead of waiting till next payday but I can also treat myself to some delicious M&S Supreme Cottage Pie for dinner on Thursday.

shaolin_monkey

I saw Iron Maiden on Sunday at the O2.

Had a hellish trek across London - some idiot had decided to stop traffic and cordon off streets to allow some bloody cyclists to belt around for a bit. It took me three hours on foot to find someplace to cross said barricades to get to a tube station that wasn't totally rammed.

Still, Maiden were excellent (even Yanick was entertaining, bless his cotton socks), playing a set list that was about 75% my all time faves. They even did 'Phantom of the Opera', something I haven't heard them do live since the mid-eighties. 

That was probably the last Maiden concert I'll go to, given how bloody expensive they've become (let alone travel and accommodation to their closest UK tour date that wasn't a bloody festival), but as such it was a fantastic gig to end on. It rivalled Somewhere on Tour in '86 musically, and was absolutely cracking in terms of the spectacle.

Up the Irons!

von Boom

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 06 August, 2013, 06:52:21 PM
I saw Iron Maiden on Sunday at the O2.

Had a hellish trek across London - some idiot had decided to stop traffic and cordon off streets to allow some bloody cyclists to belt around for a bit. It took me three hours on foot to find someplace to cross said barricades to get to a tube station that wasn't totally rammed.

Still, Maiden were excellent (even Yanick was entertaining, bless his cotton socks), playing a set list that was about 75% my all time faves. They even did 'Phantom of the Opera', something I haven't heard them do live since the mid-eighties. 

That was probably the last Maiden concert I'll go to, given how bloody expensive they've become (let alone travel and accommodation to their closest UK tour date that wasn't a bloody festival), but as such it was a fantastic gig to end on. It rivalled Somewhere on Tour in '86 musically, and was absolutely cracking in terms of the spectacle.

Up the Irons!

Colour me jealous sm. I haven't seen Maiden since their A Matter of Life and Death tour. They always put on a great show.

vzzbux

Maybe they should have asked paul Di'anno to sing a few. I am sure he needs the money.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

CrazyFoxMachine

Very jell Shaolin - haven't seen them since '08 at Twickenham stadium where (for some convoluted reason) I got free tickets :O

I would kill to see Phantom of the Opera live.

JayzusB.Christ

A fuse just blew. The lights have gone off.
BUT...  I was just, er, relieving myself while on a hike last week and found a camouflage bag hanging from a tree.  I opened it and found one of those geocache GPS box things.  I took an item from it, in return for two miniature My Little Ponies one of my fellow hikers had found on the bus.
That item was a head-mounted torch. Thanks, geocache!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Proudhuff

had a couple of 'those' moments at the Wickerman festival:
Standing watching Dexy's with a cool looking, tall, son either side of me and chanting along to my Favourite Ramones songs with Ramona!
DDT did a job on me