Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly

Finally saw Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse, and it was enormous fun.
Really wish it was a live-action film that brought Toby McGuire, Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland together, while establishing a proper Miles Morales franchise, seperate from the MCU.
But we can't have everything I guess 😉

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Dandontdare on 31 July, 2019, 05:04:55 PM
I remember the crushing disappointment many years later of learning that it wasn't really Britt Ekland's arse.

My first job as a body double. I thought I did quite well.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Link Prime

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 31 July, 2019, 05:46:14 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 31 July, 2019, 04:44:33 PM
Quote from: Greg M. on 31 July, 2019, 04:41:26 PM
...but do watch Anthony Shaffer's 'Absolution', which is very much the spiritual sequel.

The Richard Burton flick? Been meaning to see that for quiet some time, looks very much my slice of folk horror pie.

A new blu ray of that has just been released.

Never heard of this film, and now - right now - must decide on purchasing the cheapo DVD or overpriced BD.

Quote from: Greg M. on 31 July, 2019, 04:41:26 PM
I don't think Howie's religion or the islanders' religion are either endorsed or ridiculed by the film – it just presents us with two very different systems of belief and shows us what happens when they come into conflict. Both Howie and Lord Summerisle make good points at different stages of the film.

I don't find Howie at all unlikable though – he's dogged, moral, sticks to his beliefs, and is genuinely trying to do his duty. More importantly, he's hopelessly out of his depth from the moment he arrives, and I like to support the underdog. Yes, he's uptight, narrow-minded, repressed and hugely judgemental, but equally the islanders are a sordid bunch of dirty, duplicitous bastards who believe in human sacrifice.

100% this.

Greg M.

Quote from: Link Prime on 01 August, 2019, 09:36:03 AM
Never heard of this film, and now - right now - must decide on purchasing the cheapo DVD or overpriced BD.

My DVD is not the best in terms of picture quality, from what I remember - faded and washed-out looking. I haven't seen the Blu-Ray, but can only assume it's a massive improvement.

I won't claim Absolution is anywhere near as good as The Wicker Man, but it does deal with some interesting themes, is well worth a watch, and has Billy Connolly in it. And if people had problems with Howie, wait till you see Richard Burton's Father Goddard...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 31 July, 2019, 09:03:19 PM
I remember the crushing disappointment many years later of learning that it wasn't really Britt Ekland's arse.

My first job as a body double.

Well, they say you always have to start at the bottom...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Greg M. on 01 August, 2019, 10:01:09 AM

My DVD is not the best in terms of picture quality, from what I remember - faded and washed-out looking. I haven't seen the Blu-Ray, but can only assume it's a massive improvement.

I won't claim Absolution is anywhere near as good as The Wicker Man, but it does deal with some interesting themes, is well worth a watch, and has Billy Connolly in it. And if people had problems with Howie, wait till you see Richard Burton's Father Goddard...

The blu ray is superb and is a massive improvement. Plus there are tons of extras. £17, I don't think is overpriced, but if you order from Powerhouse's own site it's £15.99

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 01 August, 2019, 11:48:44 AM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 31 July, 2019, 09:03:19 PM

My first job as a body double.

Well, they say you always have to start at the bottom...

I say he peaked early.

Link Prime

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 01 August, 2019, 01:45:52 PM
Quote from: Greg M. on 01 August, 2019, 10:01:09 AM

The blu ray is superb and is a massive improvement. Plus there are tons of extras. £17, I don't think is overpriced, but if you order from Powerhouse's own site it's £15.99

Cheers lads.

Zavvi have the BD on sale for £14.99, which should cost me minus 200 Euro incl. shipping thanks to the Brexit lol-a-thon.

https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/absolution-limited-edition/11822634.html

radiator

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Solidly entertaining and frequently funny, but a little aimless and meandering at times. I'm still not quite sure what Tarantino was going for with this, honestly. I probably need a little more time to digest it. I'd probably rank it as lower tier Tarantino, however I found both Django and Hateful Eight similarly indulgent and overlong at first and enjoyed them a lot more on second watch, so that could change.

More than anything, it's just refreshing for a big name director to get a lavish budget to spend on things other than cgi for a change - in that respect alone it's worth supporting and seeing on the big screen.

The Legendary Shark

Cold Pursuit. Liam Neeson loses his son (seriously, this guy is the unluckiest parent in recorded history) in the snowy end of America and goes on one of his patented killing sprees, which turns into a general free-for-all murder fest.

So much for the plot. This film, though, is a little more stylish than most. It aspires to be Fargo - but it ain't. Comes fairly close, though, but not quite close enough.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

The Mummy (2017). I wasn't expecting much but it turned out to be a fun and enjoyable film. I think this should have kicked off Dark Universe in style. A shame really.

Theblazeuk

Conversely I couldn't stand even 10 minutes of The Mummy

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 04 August, 2019, 04:14:46 PM
Conversely I couldn't stand even 10 minutes of The Mummy

I watched the whole thing. It was terrible and I have a very low threshold for what constitutes a terrible movie.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

wedgeski

Quote from: von Boom on 04 August, 2019, 01:51:36 PM
The Mummy (2017). I wasn't expecting much but it turned out to be a fun and enjoyable film. I think this should have kicked off Dark Universe in style. A shame really.
it had stuff going for it, I thought. Just needed to cook a bit longer before going in front of the camera.

Hawkmumbler

'1 Hour in, Nothing has happened'

Oh look, Gillmans hand!

'Another Hour of nothing happening'