Main Menu

Greetings

Started by SeerBrun, 01 February, 2013, 03:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeerBrun

Hello everyone,

I don't think I ever actually got around to saying anything back when I made this account. I really wanted to talk about how awesome the movie was. I kind of missed that boat. Long and short of it was it was completely awesome and to a high degree.

I've bought a few trades since then just to get a feel for Dredd. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of the best all-inclusive source of fluff on 2000AD settings. I know sometime back in the 90's there was an encyclopedia made, but it is both stupid expensive now and probably a little dated. I was wondering if anyone might point me in the direction of a good source for comprehensive Dredd knowledge or if I ought to just sit on my hands for a bit and wait for the Wiki to get going here.

I'm vaguely considering putting together a few dozen pages of judge-related illustrations just because I enjoy the grimdark-y-ness of Dredd. Some of you may be familiar with some of my other work borrowed from UK-IP, Immortal Enemies (which I am in fact still working on, I just had a move and computer issues and mandatory overtime getting in the way).

Anyway, cheers gentlemen!

Frank

Assuming you're not just John Caliber looking to drum up business:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/City-Dredd-John-Caliber/dp/1447661354

... and welcome.

Colin YNWA

Welcome aboard and show us ya stuff.

Have fun.

Spikes

Now then SeerBrun, welcome aboard!

Link Prime

Welcome to the forum dude.

SeerBrun

Sauchie,

No, I am not John Thatguy. That book doesn't even come up on the US Amazon site unless you really really go looking for it. Definitely on my list of references to buy, now, thank you! I hope it shows up state-side, but I don't know if it ever was released here. Sadly, 2000AD is not widely purchased around here, even if it is very recognizable and semi-well known.

As far as stuff that I have done, I'll only really put stuff up that is related to your interests. I haven't drawn a lot of 2000AD stuff, and I tend to make amendments to things in ways I think are sensible or aesthetically pleasing, but I don't want to step on fans toes in unintentional ways.

If you'd like to see more of my stuff, I can be caught on http://tacticangel.deviantart.com, and Immortal Enemies is still at http://ultinomicon.com/ImmortalEnemies/. Most of it is unrelated to Dredd and company.

Frank

That's great, SeerBrun. If you take a look through the early Case Files collections, you'll see that the most popular period of the strip's history was one in which artists were given an incredible degree of freedom to depict Dredd and the city in the manner most sympathetic to their individual style. I think they were all the better for it, and the last to play around significantly with the relative proportions and design specifics of the uniform were Brendan McCarthy and Simon Bisley - two decades ago.

The comic still attracts a fantastic variety of artists with a range of styles, but there's been a degree of conformity in their presentation of Dredd and his world. Although most artists have their own particular take on the eagle, for example, most present it as the enormous ornamental version which looks great when drawn by artist like McMahon and Gibson, whose styles are all about extremity and exaggeration (look at the size of McMahon Dredd's hands!), but which looks incongruous in the context of the work of artists with a more subdued and naturalistic aesthetic.

I'm puzzled why more artists don't come up with modern day variations on the style of eagle sported by the early version of the character by those same artists above or the more flexible and aesthetically pleasing designs of McCarthy. The incorporation of 2012 film-style limb and torso armour is probably a separate can of worms.

Spikes

Quote from: SeerBrun on 02 February, 2013, 10:02:38 PM
As far as stuff that I have done, I'll only really put stuff up that is related to your interests. I haven't drawn a lot of 2000AD stuff, and I tend to make amendments to things in ways I think are sensible or aesthetically pleasing, but I don't want to step on fans toes in unintentional ways.

Nice stuff there, SeerBrun! While the traditional Dredd look is king, i do really like to see the movie look as well.   :thumbsup:

SeerBrun

Sauchie, that is a fine introduction to different styles. I have actually purchased some trades of Dredd just because I wanted to see the writing, presentation, and the art. I like the look of a lot of it, including the whole judge uniform, I always have. I have to say the first time that I looked at the new take on them in the movie, I wasn't sure how well I would like it, but I have to say it works. Yeah, its the black leather look that make the X-Men (movies) look super awesome/boring, but there's a certain practicality to it with Dredd. It's armor. It doesn't seem abundantly effective since it couldn't stop the notoriously weak 9mm, but its supposed to be armor. It just makes sense that they would wear it and that in some capacity it would look like armor. Otherwise it hearkens back to the old Batman strips where he gets shot and the spandex breaks and beneath it is some bizarre chain mail. Not to get totally off topic, but I felt like it would make more sense to take a half-measure between the two, bump the eagle's presence a little, give them reasonable shoulder pads, modify the armor to be a more heroic crop jacket and vest which might aid a little in mobility. Seemed like a not-so-unreasonable departure from each. I feel like you may give me too much credit if we label it a stylistic choice on my part. I tend to be incredibly practical.

Thanks Jack for the words of encouragement.

COMMANDO FORCES

Welcome aboard Seerbrun.

Some nice elements in that piece, I do like the weathered face of the Judge on the (obviously) right. I also notice that Justice Department must've took a good look at the primary weapon of Wulf when he met Dredd, as there seems to be a Justice issue Happy Stick there  ;)