Main Menu

Australian saying hi

Started by 13school, 20 May, 2012, 11:38:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

13school

So, uh, hi. I've been lurking for ages and signed up a fair while ago, but never really had much to add to the discussions. I mean, I've been reading 2000AD since prog 393, live in Australia and so on, but where's the exciting information there? And who really needs to hear from another Pat Mills fan these days, let alone someone who also enjoyed Big Dave.

And then I read in the movie thread someone asking about whether Dredd (the movie) would be getting a release in Australia, and finally I knew I had something to contribute. In my day job (as a film reviewer), I receive various "coming soon" lists from distributors, and so can confirm that, as of the most recent update, Dredd (or Dredd 3D as it's listed on the list from Icon Distribution) is due to be released in Australia October 25th 2012.

The big worry with it coming out a month after the US and UK is that if it doesn't do well overseas they'll have time to pull it from cinema distribution in Australia. So I guess I do have another reason to post: Australian Dredd fans need the film to be a hit in the US and UK if we're going to get to see it in cinemas. Not that anyone reading this isn't already going to be going, mind you...

*edit* might as well post the summary that was used on the coming soon list while I'm here:

QuoteJustice is coming in 2012. DREDD 3D takes us to the wild streets of Mega City One, one of the industrial quasi-civilizations dotting the landscape of The Cursed Earth, a wasteland spreading across North America. Judge Dredd is the most feared of elite Street Judges, with the power to enforce the law, sentence offenders and execute them on the spot - if necessary.

The endlessly inventive mind of writer Alex Garland and the frenetic vision of director Pete Travis bring DREDD 3D to life as a futuristic neo-noir action film that returns the celebrated character to the dark, visceral incarnation from John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra's revered comic strip. With STAR TREK, RED and THE LORD OF THE RINGS star Karl Urban in the title role, DREDD promises 3D action to rival the best in the super hero genre.

Mr.Fastrope

Syne

Welcome! Pat Mills fan here, but I'm afraid I wasn't a Big Dave fan.

As a kiwi, I second your call to UK/US squaxx to make sure Dredd does well from the word go. I suggest each of you goes 10 or 20 times, taking along any family or friends you might have each time, just to be sure.

maryanddavid

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Spartan_6

Greetings and welcome aboard! A howdy from another rookie, around your neck of the woods...North actually, way North.
-- Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination. - Oscar Wilde --

Radbacker

Hello fellow OZer thanks for your re-assurance, i  believe it was me voicing their worries so it's good to hear that it currently has an official date.  Like you mention as it's a few weeks after the UK and US  releases there's time for it to drop off if it doesn't do well enough but we all know its going to break the boxoffice so nothing to warry about there, i do worry a bit about my local cinema as only a 4 screener and they make some funny choices on what show and the proprieter seems to let his own personal preferences dictate what he plays and from some of his choices he doesn't like action too much.

CU Radabcker

13school

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I'm a little worried about how many cinemas Dredd is going to reach down here - Icon (the distributor) isn't tied to any of the big chains so its movies tend to not always go everywhere.

I think their last action film was Safe with Jason Statham so if that's showing nearby you've got a pretty good chance.

(As Dredd is (currently) planned to release the day after my birthday, I'm seriously thinking of telling people I know to go see it in lieu of getting me a present just to boost the box office.)

judgefloyd

gidday!  I like Pat Mills and Big Dave too, in reasonable quantities.  I'm in Melbourne, myself, where are you at?
  enjoy the board

Spikes

Syne

Just read a thing online about how The Cabin In the Woods isn't getting an Australia/NZ cinema release (old news, but new to me) which brought home how real the possibility of the same happening to Dredd might be. Crikey!

13school

I'm in Geelong, which pretty much is Melbourne these days. At least, I spend most of my working / waking hours in Melbourne and it's only an hour's commute.

The good news about Cabin in the Woods is that after initially being announced as going straight-to-DVD, a massive (well, biggish and noisy) online protest complete with petition got the decision reversed! It's not getting a national release, but it is now going to be shown in (I think) all the capital cities for at least a week.

That's a bit of a one-off though, and there are plenty of cases where a film that's meant to come out in Australia goes direct to DVD after fizzling out at the box office overseas. It's not a big worry with Dredd (especially with the positive buzz around it at the moment), but it's certainly a possibility if the US and UK crowds don't come out...

judgefloyd

Geelong is a terrific place, from what I've seen of it, and has a very good football team too.  Thanks for the tip about the Dredd movie release date - I'll watch out around that time.  To be honest, I haven't read that much about it, so don't know how straight-to-dvd-ish it'll be, but here's hoping.

cheers

Floyd

13school

That damn football team! I don't really follow football (it's not like you can NOT follow football here, tho I try), but it's pretty much all people outside Geelong know about the place. Which, now that I think about it, is fair enough, as otherwise it's just an average small town. Though we have just recently had the local comic shop start getting 2000ad in, so that's both a big step forward and a sign that word of its current golden age has reached even here.

One thing I did want to ask any fellow Australians: do you see 2000ad at your local newsagent anymore? We have one in town that seems to get every fourth issue in, and I'm never sure whether that means the supply is erratic or someone is buying it off the shelves. I get mine from a comic shop now, but scoured newsagents for it during the 80s and 90s, so there's some nostalgic interest there...

Radbacker

it's available in about 3 of the 6 newsies over here in Kalgoorlie, we only have a population of about 25 000 so its pretty well represented here but i do have problems finding it when ever i'm on holidays either visiting my parents over east or when i'm in Perth.  I only seem to find it in the comic shop in Perth and it's about $2 more but is up to date where as from the news agents it's about 8 weeks out, very rare that they miss an issue though.

CU Radbacker