Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 December, 2019, 01:19:49 PM
Quote from: I, Cosh on 20 December, 2019, 01:13:28 PM
Why the zombies in Defoe are called reeks or stenches...
Because they reek? Or am I missing something?
Exactly. Dead bodies smell bad. I never made the connection before. Just thought it was a random nickname.
We never really die.

JayzusB.Christ

Ah yeah, I kind of guessed that.  Same reason poor old Theon Greyjoy got the name.

EDIT:  For my own part, I've just realised that a daystick  (or day-stick) was the real name given to a police baton uses for daytime hours.  I'd always assumed it was a jokey Wagner / Grant play on the word 'nightstick'.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baton_(law_enforcement)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

I reckon you were right in the first place. Day-stick is pretty obscure, and I suspect an independently arrived-at pun.

Mardroid

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 December, 2019, 04:30:05 PM
Ah yeah, I kind of guessed that.  Same reason poor old Theon Greyjoy got the name.

EDIT:  For my own part, I've just realised that a daystick  (or day-stick) was the real name given to a police baton uses for daytime hours.  I'd always assumed it was a jokey Wagner / Grant play on the word 'nightstick'.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baton_(law_enforcement)

Me too!..
... and posting this I saw Tordels comment.

For some reason I thought it had something to do with getting the daylights getting beaten out of you.

My mind goes to a dark place sometimes. Heh.

Patrick

Nothing to do with 2000AD, but something hit me the other day.

When I was about ten or eleven, car bumper stickers were in fashion. My mum bought one that said "Be alert... your country needs lerts".

I remember there was one that said "Save a tree, eat a beaver". I thought it was hilarious. It's only now occurred to me what it meant.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 December, 2019, 06:00:10 PM
I reckon you were right in the first place. Day-stick is pretty obscure, and I suspect an independently arrived-at pun.

It did cross my mind. You, and previous me, are probably right.

Quote from: Patrick on 20 December, 2019, 06:37:08 PM
I remember there was one that said "Save a tree, eat a beaver". I thought it was hilarious. It's only now occurred to me what it meant.

And me! I wonder how much innuendo passed me by in more innocent times.  The double entendres in old progs stick out like a sore, er,  thumb these days.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

I've been watching Alan Partridge outtakes. He's pointed out something I'm ashamed to say had never occurred to me. 'The Brothers Gibb. The B.G.s. The Bee Gees!'

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 03 January, 2020, 01:46:37 AM
I've been watching Alan Partridge outtakes. He's pointed out something I'm ashamed to say had never occurred to me. 'The Brothers Gibb. The B.G.s. The Bee Gees!'

Oh my god!!!  :o

Now it makes sense!!

M.I.K.

I've always known that. Pity it's not actually true.

From wikipedia...

QuoteIn August 1958, the Gibb family, including older sister Lesley and infant brother Andy, emigrated to Redcliffe, just north-east of Brisbane in Queensland, Australia. The young brothers began performing to raise pocket money. They were introduced to Brisbane radio presenter jockey Bill Gates by speedway promoter and driver Bill Goode, who had hired the brothers to entertain the crowd at the Redcliffe Speedway in 1960. The crowd at the speedway would throw money onto the track for the boys, who generally performed during the interval of meetings (usually on the back of a truck that drove around the track) and, in a deal with Goode, any money they collected from the crowd they were allowed to keep. Gates renamed them the BGs (later changed to "Bee Gees") after his, Goode's and Barry Gibb's initials. The name was not specifically a reference to "Brothers Gibb", despite popular belief.

MumboJimbo

I've just realised Titus Defoe is called "the chairman" because his day job (I'm reading the London Hanged floppy) is a sedan chair carrier, not because he heads up some committee or meeting that I wasn't aware of.

sheridan

Quote from: MumboJimbo on 03 January, 2020, 04:16:06 PM
I've just realised Titus Defoe is called "the chairman" because his day job (I'm reading the London Hanged floppy) is a sedan chair carrier, not because he heads up some committee or meeting that I wasn't aware of.

Yeah, there's a pub not so far from Parliament Square called The Two Chairmen.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: M.I.K. on 03 January, 2020, 03:22:37 AM

I've always known that. Pity it's not actually true.

From wikipedia...

QuoteIn August 1958, the Gibb family, including older sister Lesley and infant brother Andy, emigrated to Redcliffe, just north-east of Brisbane in Queensland, Australia. The young brothers began performing to raise pocket money. They were introduced to Brisbane radio presenter jockey Bill Gates by speedway promoter and driver Bill Goode, who had hired the brothers to entertain the crowd at the Redcliffe Speedway in 1960. The crowd at the speedway would throw money onto the track for the boys, who generally performed during the interval of meetings (usually on the back of a truck that drove around the track) and, in a deal with Goode, any money they collected from the crowd they were allowed to keep. Gates renamed them the BGs (later changed to "Bee Gees") after his, Goode's and Barry Gibb's initials. The name was not specifically a reference to "Brothers Gibb", despite popular belief.

I see. You learn and unlearn something new every day.

Dandontdare

Owned this phone for several years and used the alarm clock function almost every day - I have only this minute noticed that the little clock icon is actually a clock telling the real time, with a  moving second hand and everything.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 January, 2020, 06:06:55 PM
Owned this phone for several years and used the alarm clock function almost every day - I have only this minute noticed that the little clock icon is actually a clock telling the real time, with a  moving second hand and everything.

:o

Just checked my one - the same. 

Dandontdare

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 24 January, 2020, 10:07:23 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 January, 2020, 06:06:55 PM

:o

Just checked my one - the same.

Thank fuck it's not just me!  :lol: