Main Menu

What was missing from the Judge Dredd film (1995)

Started by Skullmo, 07 April, 2014, 03:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullmo

I have always wanted to see a special edition of the Judge Dredd film that contained the deleted scenes - I have seen photos of them - the clone fight springs to mind.

Does anyone know what scenes were actually filmed and cut? I assume they were cut to avoid the NC 17 rating, is this correct?
It's a joke. I was joking.

CrazyFoxMachine

Spaceghost

Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Skullmo on 07 April, 2014, 03:02:48 PM
Does anyone know what scenes were actually filmed and cut?

I've never seen an exhaustive list... I remember reading an interview with producer Beau Marks in the Independent while Judge Dredd was shooting (he was moaning about how uncooperative UK authorities were compared to shooting in the US) and it was specifically mentioned that the interview took place during a break in shooting a scene at Kew Gardens and I'm damn sure I didn't see anything fitting that description in the final cut of the movie.

I remember Kev Walker saying that the released cut of the movie excised all the conspiracy plot and just left a sequence of action set pieces that made it feel like "a bloody video game."

And, yes, the film isn't helped by the excision of the climactic clone fight, particularly given that they leave in Rico's line setting it up...!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Goaty

Bubba Zebill

Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

James Stacey

radiator

QuoteAnd, yes, the film isn't helped by the excision of the climactic clone fight, particularly given that they leave in Rico's line setting it up...!

One of the many things wrong with Judge Dredd is that it ends on such an anticlimax. There's so little action at the end - a lame punch-up in the Statue of Liberty and it's all over.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 07 April, 2014, 03:12:59 PM
And, yes, the film isn't helped by the excision of the climactic clone fight, particularly given that they leave in Rico's line setting it up...!

It's worse than that, isn't it?  I haven't seen it for a while but don't the clones actually wake up, one of them turns towards Dredd and Fergie and then...

...Dredd is running up some stairs towards a confrontation with Rico.

Of course, I could be wrong.  There's a scene towards the end of Excalibur that I remember particularly well, you know the one, where Arthur and his knights ride across a barren field, only for the land to come to life once again in their wake, flowers coming into bloom and everything.

You know what?  It's not in the film.  That's particularly annoying as that was my favourite bit...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

JayzusB.Christ

Shite, sounds excellent. I like Excalibur, me.

I recently watched my favourite film, the Wicker Man, with the missing bits pasted back in.  Most of it was fine, though there was really no need for [spoiler]Christopher Lee's silly chat with a snail.[/spoiler]

I couldn't even begin to comment on what was missing from the 95 Dredd film.  I wouldn't have minded seeing a few more bits cut out; or even all of them.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Goaty graffiti.  The marks of quality.

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 07 April, 2014, 04:07:56 PMThere's a scene towards the end of Excalibur that I remember particularly well, you know the one, where Arthur and his knights ride across a barren field, only for the land to come to life once again in their wake, flowers coming into bloom and everything.

Hang about though, it's in some film because I've seen it too.  Would have sworn it was Excalibur meself.

Greg M.

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 April, 2014, 07:02:29 PM
Hang about though, it's in some film because I've seen it too.  Would have sworn it was Excalibur meself.

It is. It's here at around the 2 minute mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1MuvvS_xSw

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Greg M. on 07 April, 2014, 07:08:23 PM

It is. It's here at around the 2 minute mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1MuvvS_xSw

That's truly lovely, that is.  Did they really cut that from the finished version?
My mate works for John Boorman the odd time; apparently he's a sound guy but a fucking maniac.  Loves an afternoon drop of whiskey followed by a high speed drive into town (with my friend shitting himself in the passenger seat).  ALLEGEDLY.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Goaty

Goaty graffiti.  The marks of quality.

Yep it was that or Hammerstein the ABC robot, tough choice.

Frank

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 07 April, 2014, 08:28:45 PM
My mate works for John Boorman the odd time; apparently he's a sound guy but a fucking maniac.  Loves an afternoon drop of whiskey followed by a high speed drive into town (with my friend shitting himself in the passenger seat).  ALLEGEDLY.

I think John Boorman is what they used to call a character. Did you see the recent documentary his daughter made for the BBC about him? God bless the coefficient your nation has devised to describe the relationship between artistry and income tax.