Main Menu

Meg 224 - Incredible Thong

Started by Bad Andy, 19 September, 2004, 07:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudley

You read it on Class of '79's site, which is linked from this site.  Probably.

Bolt-01

Logan means you read it on the Class of '79 website, not this one.

Not sure if it is different though.

http://www.2000adonline.com/index.php3?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=davide> Bolt-01

http://lostpropertybybolt-01.blogspot.com>Lost property Blog

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/Bolt-01/Advertmini01.jpg">

W. R. Logan

>Not sure if it is different though.

Yup, the Megazine version is the Writers cut. George Lucas isnt the only person to revisit past stories and tinker with them.

La placa Rifa,
W. R. LOgan.

Max Kon

It was great, the text articals weren't bad. the megazine is turning into a proper magazine

Keef Monkey

Wowzer. Whenever I get my Meg in I always settle down with the intention of reading it cover to cover but that hasn't happened for months as my attention starts to wane round about Charlie's War, but this morning I read it cover to cover and although still didn't enjoy CW at least it was brief. The cameos were fantastic and I'm desperate for the next issue now! Thought Meat Patrol was good as I don't remember ever reading something that showed you a night on a meat wagon, but I might be wrong. Was nice of them to draw some attention to 100 Bullets and Ghost In The Shell. Oh, and one of the single greatest panels in comic book history, you know the one. It had a thong in it. Was a great surprise to find out who it was too. The best Megazine I can remember reading I think.

Keef Monkey

Oh, and forgot to mention Alan Grant. After the duff Dredds lately, having Anderson and Middenface back to back proved without a doubt that he's still got it.

Trout

An utterly splendid publication; so much so that my comments on it are about as long as the Meg itself. :-)

I've talked a bit on this site about the "magazine leanings" of the Megazine, so I'm delighted to see that side develop.

IMO the results are mixed, but it's a valiant try.
I thought the anime section was interesting, because it's something I know little about and was informative.
I applaud the DVD bit, although the release of Star Trek was probably unlucky for it, as it meant a fairly obvious - almost cliched - subject matter for the first column.

I'm afraid I wasn't keen on the film column at all.
Writing a review, it's too easy simply to say you don't like something, and far more difficult to produce an engaging piece of writing about it. This was pretty self-indulgent, I'm sorry to say, and I wasn't interested in its outdated subject matter.

Spiderman 2? Who's interested now?
What does that column actually tell us, apart from someone's opinion?
I've been writing film reviews for years (admittedly for a local paper, although one with a higher circulation than the Meg) and the writer here has fallen into the trap of thinking he matters.
People read such things for information or entertainment. Opinion must always be strictly limited, as it's of almost no importance. (All this is IM professional O and with sincere respect to Simon, whose other work I enjoy.)

A purpose needs to be worked out for these three new parts. The Meg isn't equipped to offer news, and deadlines would similarly mess up any chance of a competitive review schedule.
I suspect the retrospective approach of the anime column is the way to go.

Grennie's column is still excellent, and a good example of how to write something that, despite having little real content, still has value as a bit of fun.

We were also treated to a very in-depth interview, of which I read every word in abject fascination. It was damn good stuff; just what a Mega-magazine needs.
It's also interesting to see printed media grabbing this sort of thing back from the internet, where it's wandered, homeless and sad, after various other publications folded.

I no longer have any interest in the Dredd Files. Sorry.

On the strips:

Dredd with biters: Love that Burns art, and what a pay-off! Strong stuff.

Simping Detective: Also brilliant fun.
I'm really keen on the way people are now prepared to use 2K's and the Meg's "back catalogue" to its fullest.
I might otherwise have been scandalised by that thong (see my previous comments on Durham Red), but it worked fine in the context, IMO.
Isn't Frazer's work beautiful?

Middenface continues to be a highlight for me. I'm a Ridgway fan anyway, but this is some of his best work for ages, I think.
The story is also rolling along really, really well. One scene was effectively lifted from Portrait of a Mutant, but I don't care.
Great stuff.

Despite the lack of Frank Quitely, I also enjoyed Shimura, which seems to have a good artistic successor.
I'm keen to find out more of what's been happening. My only quibble is Dredd hiring an assassin. I know he's done worse, but I have to suspect he's up to something. It seems out of character.

I'm rapidly losing interest in Anderson, despite Ranson's lovely work. There only three of them left now, but I forget what happened to the others already. Or how many there were to start with. Ho-hum.

Charley's War is still messy, horrible and fantastic.

Finally, Dredd on the meat wagon was just the latest in a long line of good, solid Dredds from Gordon Rennie. Moody and satisfying.
The man can spin a damn good yarn.

Overall, the Meg keeps on getting better and better! I love it.

- Trout

petemaskreplica

Well, I'd pretty much echo everything that's been said. A very fine meg indeed.

One thing though: reading the John Burns interview, and seeing the pictures chosen to illustrate it, I was reminded just how good a black and white artist he is, it seems a shame we don't really get to see that side of his craft these days (much as I like his painted art - and I thought his work on the Biters story was particularly fine). Any chance of getting him to draw (as opposed to paint) something?

Dan Kelly

I've just (last Wednesday) put in for a dual Sub to tooth and the Meg, hoping that there was a week or so more till the Meg was out.

Does anyone know how quickly the subs dept get around to processing these things.  I put this weeks issues of both as "start" issues.  WIll I get them, or should I pop down the shop tomorrow?

Dan

Trout

Dan, you'll probably get them, but give Denise a ring anyway, just in case you miss it.

It's unmissable.

(BTW as if my comments weren't long enough, I want to add that I really enjoyed the Judge Fear story. He's always been my favourite Dark Judge.)

- Trout

Waddie

I've no problem with this number of text features, but I'd *really* like to see the excesses reined in so we end up with less "humourous" geekery and more of the interesting and thoughtful.

Bollocks to that.  I was pleasantly surprised by the review section this issue.  Grud forbid it become all pious and thinky.

Art

TBH I couldn't be bothered with any of the text peices bar Gordons (which was the same as it is every month) and Sis (Hmmm, taking swings at 1960s superhero conventions is neither big nor clever, and it wasn't even done in an amusing or original way).

Dan Kelly

Tx Trout.  Apparantly I got my sub in in time and both of them should be winging their way to me.

The weren't in the box today (was away yesterday), so there are 3 options.  1) They are in my post box today. 2) They are upstairs (postie is sh*te). 3) Posties a theiving Get.

This is a great week.  New Delgados Album, Meg and 2000ad subs.  Star Wars DVDs. And herself is back from Thailand.  Actually with the rest of that, she could probably have stayed away an extra week...

Dan, back in the fold.

Trout

Eric Plumrose

'Wasnt the man in Dan Dare with a gun welded to his hand called Hitman?'

Yeah, Gunnar was the first Space Fort crew member to get his brains sucked out by those giant worm thingies.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.