Main Menu

question regarding writing and not working

Started by auxlen, 11 November, 2018, 04:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

auxlen

Some of you may know I tinker a bit in the writing dept. not expecting to make megabucks etc but I have about 8 novels etc half written but struggling to find the time. yes, I know the cliche of finding the time comes easy if you have the passion etc but I have a proper 16 hr a day job.

however, I am probably going to be made redundant early 2021 when contracts end and as I will be 49 then I want to have a 6-12 month drive to write full time (using savings)...

is there a way to contribute NI still or should I just 'write on' (wick)... I doubt I'll make pensionable age but has anyone any advise etc.

hope someone knows what i'm asking....

hippynumber1

Sign on. You might not get any benefits but they should still pay your stamp. 👍

Frank

I know you don't think of yourself as about to take early retirement, but that's effectively what you've done from HMRC's perspective.

Good luck, Auxlen:

https://www.ft.com/content/46a54a64-330e-11e6-bda0-04585c31b153

Tjm86

If I'm understanding your question then yes, you can contribute to your NI as you go along.  If you have a shortfall at any point you can make it up but it is time limited.  I would suggest signing on to the HMRC website and looking at your NIC's history to see how you stand then you should be able to find details from there about how to continue to contribute even though you aren't working.