Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 October, 2019, 11:46:41 AM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 20 October, 2019, 01:35:58 AM
"Gladstone spent his declining years trying to guess the answer to the Irish question; unfortunately, whenever he was getting warm, the Irish secretly changed the question."
Sellar & Yeatman - 1066 and All That 1930

I've never read it, but my dad had the Irish knock-off, The Comic History of Ireland.

Now I am confused - is the humour book taken as history the bible, 1066 and All That or The Comic History of Ireland? 

Tjm86

TordelBack

So on this day of horrific news about migrant deaths in an Irish truck,  all four MEPs from our governing party Leo 'I'm such a Statesman," Varadkar's Fine Gael voted *against* a resolution for search-and-rescue of refugees crossing the Med - on an EP motion that was defeated by 3 votes.

Your Brexit Ltd. employees stood up and cheered the defeat of course, what would you expect (although WTF it has to do with them I don't know)  but for representatives of a republic that suffered needless famine, coffin ships and mass emigration, and a party that only exists because of the impetus of, and US funding deriving from, that event, it is an outrage.

Here's some of the (damning) text of the resolution:

Quote...whereas saving lives is an act of solidarity with those at risk, but first and foremost a legal obligation under both international law, as Article 98 of UNCLOS – ratified by all Member States and the Union itself – requires States to render assistance to any person in distress at sea

IndigoPrime

"Those poor people. Someone should do something!"

OK, how about making things less shit for migrants, and opening our borders more readily to refugees, rather than forcing them to claim asylum only after they've already smuggled themselves into the country, often in a very dangerous way that risks actual death?

"NO, NOT THAT!"

TordelBack

That too, obviously - and Ireland is particularly shit in dealing with asylum at every level - but voting to let people drown because saving them is a 'pull' factor... f**king hell.

IndigoPrime

Yeah, well, the UK's currently talking about the "unit costs of deportation" of EU/EFTA and Swiss citizens. You know, those people that even Vote Leave said would be able to stay, their lives unchanged.

Frank

Typical leftie do-gooder nonsense. The only good kind of immigration is when people have a piece of paper.

The piece of paper makes it okay, and I know I speak for everyone here when I say that if I lived in an absolute shithole, where I had zero prospects, I'd just accept that as my own hard luck for shooting out of the wrong fanny during the wrong period of history.

Scotland and Ireland might very well be countries whose national identities are founded on the idea that we're disproportionately responsible for spreading white semen across and into every corner of the globe, but that was in the olden days and involved sad pipe music and jigs on ocean liners.

And much of it was perfectly legal. Granted, in the case of Scotland, it was retrospectively legal in the sense that we helped the English invade other peoples' countries, changed the laws to make doing so legal, and then put any locals who disagreed in front of a firing squad.

Obviously, if the Chinese had invaded and subjugated us - before taking highly paid jobs in the proud British cockle-picking and takeaway food industries that our proud, British Media Studies graduates are desperate to do - that would be perfectly fucking fine.

But you say that and people call you mad.

TordelBack

Sadly the rest of us have now given up on the UK. If a policy doesn't draw from arrogance and hatred, and its implementation won't maximise misery and division, then it's not on the Tory agenda. We feel nothing but sympathy for the people of the UK,  but you really need to organise, change some minds, think tactically and vote those creatures back to the 1800s where they'll be happier.  That said, in NI it'd be a case of going *forward* to the 1800s.

And as the aforementioned vote shows,  we're not far behind ye. And the shit hasn't even reached the general area of the fan yet.

JayzusB.Christ

A friend of mine recently got irate about an anti-racism advertising campaign that Irish Rail did - apparently his tax euros shouldn't pay for posters that assumed that Irish people were racist. I mean, generally speaking he's a lovely guy, but for fuck's sake.  A lot of Irish people are racist, but even a handful would be too many.

Fortunately he began to see reason after a bit of further discussion, when I pointed out that anti drink driving campaigns are useful without needing a disclaimer that the warning does not apply to non-drink-driving Irish people.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Frank

Quote from: Funt Solo on 24 October, 2019, 06:51:22 PM
Quote from: Frank on 24 October, 2019, 05:27:43 PM
...jigs on ocean liners...

7:13

Following that clip, Daily Motion chose to play me a clip of Alexandra Daddario in San Andreas. I'd love to be able to say it underestimated me or mischaracterised my interests.

If Johnson gets his December 12th election, I'll give everyone here a fiver.

Professor Bear

About the only political certainty I would gamble on is that if a General Election guarantees the Tories some breathing room, then a General Election will happen.

Funt Solo

Yay! A general election! I wonder what Labour's position on Brexit will be...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dandontdare

radiator

So Frank, do you have Venmo, or...?