Main Menu

Internet Dating

Started by JamesC, 26 June, 2008, 08:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

opaque

A free online dating service?
I've never seen such a thing. They all seem to have the major con of being free to join but to actually talk to anyone you have to buy a subscription at a monthly rate.
And of course you get emails from people, you join (and pay) and the people that sent the message don't exist anymore. Mmmm.

Match is nicer but the main problem I've found is that the women are still looking for a certain type of person and if you don't fit (ie you're not super-athletic, got a good car, home, exciting social life being things alluded to or outrightly stated) you won't get a look-in anyway.
I'm sure the same works for men but I'm finding it annoying to not even get the 'sod off' (or rather the 'I've found someone and want to see how it goes' template email - despite them updating their profile month after month and still being on the site lol) emails back from my emails to people.

longmanshort

Match.com went downhill a few years ago. I'd recommend Guardian Soulmates.
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Buddy

I've dabbled in internet dating over the past eight months or so and I find it hard going.. only really been on about three dates as a result. But it could be said I'm not the most social of animals, so that might have something to do with it.

There's a real mix of people on there and a lot of odd balls.

Best to go into it with no expectations and take each date as it comes. I'm convinced a lot of wimmen are on there to get a cheap night out, serial daters if you like.

Anyway, good luck... as it happens I have a date next week.

I'll keep you informed.

JamesC

The free site I'm on is called Plenty Of Fish. It's pretty good and there are no fees to talk to people.
I've had a few messages from likely candidates!

Buddy

Plenty of fish. That's the one.

Robin Low

Quote from: "longmanshort"...though perhaps the most recent date (with a half American half Scottish teetotaller) was a mistake.

Er, what was her name?

Regards

Robin

longmanshort

+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Robin Low

Quote from: "longmanshort"Jenny ...

PM'd you. No shocking revelations, just not relevant to the thread.

Regards

Robin

TordelBack

Oh now you've done it Robin.  Enquiring minds want to know!

Robin Low

Quote from: "TordelBack"Oh now you've done it Robin.  Enquiring minds want to know!

I thought they might!

Sadly, nothing exciting to report. She sounded curiously like someone I knew from university and even had the same first name, but on further investigation it's clearly someone else.

Regards

Robin

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Buddy

Went on a blind date last night and I think it's put me off them for life!!!!

It was like a bloody job interview!.... what do you do?... where did you go to school?.... how do you spend your free time?....

Never again.