Main Menu

Play any good Fighting Games recently?

Started by The Adventurer, 07 November, 2013, 12:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

I've very recently got interesting in Fighting Games, a lot more then I used to. Primarily this has been brought on by acquiring a new PC that actually play current gen PC games, and a number of current gen Fighting Games being available on Steam. In the past I've only been recreationally interested in fighting games. I played a bit of the first Marvel Vs Capcom in the arcades, some MvC3 on my roommate's X-Box, and Tatsunoko Vs Capcom on my Wii. So historically I've always been a Capcom fighter fan.

Which is why its weird that I've playing a lot of King of Fighters XIII this week. It helped that it was on Steam sale earlier in the week, which made the decision a lot easier. But getting to understand its system has been an enlightening experience and has helped me get out of my Capcom only comfort zone. KoF is on the surface a lot like a Capcom fighter. But also not at all.

While I do believe I will ever be good enough to compete at a competitive level, I would like to be able to hold my own online someday. To that end I dropped a 100 bucks on a Mad Catz Fightstick. Kind of a pricey investment for something I'm just dabbling in. But the more authentic experience seems like it can only be a benifit to getting better. Also, its a really solid piece of hardware. I'll also be able to get some use out of it playing some MAME emulated arcade games for that authentic arcade feel. So bonus.

So yeah. What fighting games do you guys play? Are you any good? Any tips and tricks to learning the basics?

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

amines2058

My tactics were always wiggle the joystick furiously whilst mashing all the buttons as fast as possible to see what Combo's I could pull off!
Admittedly I was never any good  :-[ ;)

shaolin_monkey

My tip is don't play Street Fighter II online - you'll just get a bunch of wankers* spamming Ryu's Hadoken.

I wish I could say I was an expert at these games.  I envy people with the tactile ability, reflex times, and strategic thinking required to make you so good at this.  I'm happy playing Eddy Gordo on Tekken.  THE LEGS!  THE LEGS!  ;)

...oh, and Chun Li!  Whaooor, eh?  Whoaar!  Say no MORE!

*There are counters to the Hadoken, but I'm not good enough to pull them off. As such you can interpret my term 'wanker' to mean 'people much better at playing this bloody game than me'.

JamesC

I've never been any good at fighting games but I Prefer the Tekken system of using buttons to pull of combos and special moves over the Street Fighter system of strange joystick movements (which I've never been able to make work reliably using a control pad).
I haven't played it but the 3DS version of Street Fighter allows you to use the touch screen as a smart button which you can allocate 4 special moves to.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: JamesC on 07 November, 2013, 01:08:21 PM
I haven't played it but the 3DS version of Street Fighter allows you to use the touch screen as a smart button which you can allocate 4 special moves to.

That little feature is especially handy if you want to keep the 3D turned on.  It helps keep the handheld still. If you choose to use the buttons instead you end up jiggling the screen about like no-ones business, ending in double vision and headaches.  Great version though, and I do love the 3D in it - they look like little dolls action figures fighting!   :D

Link Prime

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 07 November, 2013, 03:02:18 PM
Great version though, and I do love the 3D in it - they look like little dolls action figures fighting!   :D

One of the first 3DS games I bought.
It's a great version.

WhizzBang

For me, Tekken 3 on the PS1 was the peak of the genre and I have struggled to be interested since then. The NTSC version is better than the PAL one as it is slightly quicker and lacks the big black borders if the PAL one.

I, Cosh

Tekken man myself. Don't think Tekken Tag's been bested. You've cut yourself a hefty challenge here. I'm the kind of plAyer who spends quite a bit if time perfecting nice moves and combos then still get spammed to death by a mate with Yoshimitsu's spinning low kick.

Head on over to TekkenZaibatsu for people seriously discussing which moves over the best strike to stun recovery in frames per second...
We never really die.

bluemeanie

Only fighting games I really play at the moment are Tekken 1 and 3 on a playstation emulator.
I bought both at the time so dont feel too guilty about the fuzzy legality. Actually still have the disks but they're both scratched to hell

That said they've announced that the DC fighting game Injustice Gods Amongst Us hits pc in a week or so. Think I'll have to get that.

Bobblehead

Injustice: Gods Amongst Us is great fun,and the single player storyline is good too,its very similar to the new Mortal Kombat game (its by Netherealm Studios afterall) which isnt a bad thing as that was good too. Go online though and youll come across annoying t***s who will just play as Superman and laser-beam you to death from a distance.
Naruto:Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 is fun,with a great single player too,online is quite fair i thought and its got loads of characters to choose from.The move sets arent as intricate as say MvC3 or SF4 too.
Just bought Persona 4:Arena which is a fighting game sequal to the RPG which i loved.Havent played yet so will get back to you on that :)