Main Menu

Aces Weekly from David Lloyd

Started by Emperor, 06 August, 2012, 03:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

David Lloyd is publishing (and Bambos Georgiou is editing) a weekly digital comic coming out... soon. It'll be 6 3-page stories and other arty goodness from an awful lot of talented folks:

Quote"Creators contributing are David Lloyd, Kyle Baker, Mark Wheatley, JC Vaughn, John McCrea, Phil Hester, David Hitchcock, Steve Bissette, Dan Christensen, Yishan Li, Algesiras, Alain Mauricet, Alexandre Tefenkgi, Billy Tucci, Mindy McPeak, Kathryn Layno, Kev Hopgood, Ferg Handley, Lew Stringer, David Leach, Carl Critchlow, Colleen Doran, Shaky Kane, Dave Hine, Hunt Emerson, Dylan Teague, Marc Hempel, Paul Maybury, Phil Elliott, Esteban Hernandez, Mychailo Kazybrid, Ben Dickson, Gavin Mitchell, Henry Flint and (believe it or not) many more...

Although those 3 pages are, apparently landscape, so that really counts as 6 conventional ones (I assume, as it is all digital, that the pages will all be landscape):

QuoteAces Weekly will be released as seven weekly issues which form a volume. Each issue will have at least three landscape pages from six contributors (18 pages per issue), plus extras such as artists sketches etc.

Then there'll be a break in publication before the next seven issue volume begins.

Readers subscribe to volumes which cost £6.99/$10 per seven issue volume.

Including at least one from these boards (as anyone following their blog will know).

http://downthetubescomics.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/david-lloyd-aces-weekly-digital-comic.html

More on this soon.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

pauljholden

QuoteAlthough those 3 pages are, apparently landscape, so that really counts as 6 conventional ones (I assume, as it is all digital, that the pages will all be landscape):

If they're going the DC model of digital comics then the landscape pages will actually be half size US comic sizes, so 3 landscape pages is equivalent to one and a half conventional pages.

-pj

maryanddavid

Sounds great, Im not one for digital comics, but I think I will have to give that a go.

Professor Bear

Quote from: pauljholden on 06 August, 2012, 08:45:30 AM
QuoteAlthough those 3 pages are, apparently landscape, so that really counts as 6 conventional ones (I assume, as it is all digital, that the pages will all be landscape):

If they're going the DC model of digital comics then the landscape pages will actually be half size US comic sizes, so 3 landscape pages is equivalent to one and a half conventional pages.

-pj

Emperor is only assuming the landscape format will be used, but I think the conventional US format is more likely given the proven talent involved and the inevitable print collection.  Playing devil's advocate for a moment, though, there isn't any reason* stories couldn't be presented in both/either formats given the delivery method.

* Apart from those readers who insist that US comics with some pages printed sideways are literally unreadable.

Emperor

Quote from: Professah Byah on 06 August, 2012, 11:08:00 AM
Quote from: pauljholden on 06 August, 2012, 08:45:30 AM

-pj

Emperor is only assuming the landscape format will be used

No I'm not:

QuoteAces Weekly will be released as seven weekly issues which form a volume. Each issue will have at least three landscape pages from six contributors (18 pages per issue)

Matt is colouring David Hitchcock's Paradise Mechanism and has posted a couple of pages which make full use of being in landscape:

http://mygrimmbrother.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Paradise%20Mechanism

I suppose my point is that 3 pages for each story doesn't seem a lot for each instalment but they are fitting a lot in on those pages if those examples are anything to go buy - 6 or 7 panels to a page but some large ones there.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Zarjazzer

i was re -reading bits of ye olde classic Nightraven. Have to give this a go.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

gdwessel

Yeah, I had an interesting experience regarding a strip due to be in ACES WEEKLY. I explained it here: http://gdwessel.wordpress.com/2012/07/28/these-and-thats/

Basically: similar title issue.

Emperor

Quote from: gdwessel on 07 August, 2012, 11:09:43 PM
Yeah, I had an interesting experience regarding a strip due to be in ACES WEEKLY. I explained it here: http://gdwessel.wordpress.com/2012/07/28/these-and-thats/

I saw that during my research (helped me find the artist, after being lead astray by a Bleeding Cool typo), seems everything has been resolved satisfactorily, although it'll be interesting to compare the two.

gdwessel

Quote from: Emperor on 08 August, 2012, 12:19:38 AM
Quote from: gdwessel on 07 August, 2012, 11:09:43 PM

I saw that during my research (helped me find the artist, after being lead astray by a Bleeding Cool typo), seems everything has been resolved satisfactorily, although it'll be interesting to compare the two.

Yeah I agree, and it was nice talking to both David and Yishan. Hey, who knows where this may lead!

The Prodigal

I am really looking forward to the launch of this on 30th september. It will be my first foray into the world of digital. Go me.

CrazyFoxMachine

Not entirely comfortable with digital only but I'm so incredibly on board it's ridiculous - !

Will probably end up printing each volume off and stapling it together. BECAUSE I'M THAT LEVEL OF OLD FASHIONED.

The Prodigal

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 22 September, 2012, 11:48:54 AM
Not entirely comfortable with digital only but I'm so incredibly on board it's ridiculous - !

Will probably end up printing each volume off and stapling it together. BECAUSE I'M THAT LEVEL OF OLD FASHIONED.

LOL. I'm with you mate.

The Prodigal

CrazyFoxMachine

Just subscribed - will give it a ... flick through(?!) tonight - looks incredibly gorgeous I just want to sniff it.

...smells like laptop...

Spaceghost

I've subscribed too.

First time I've ever bought an online comic (it'll be the first time I've actually read an online comic in a serious way) but the creators involved seem worth a punt.

£6.99 for a 3 month subscription is good value too. I'll have a read tonight and let people know what I think.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...