Quote from: matty_ae on 18 February, 2017, 01:18:30 PM
Why did he have a spoon behind the bar?

Was it his lucky spoon?

Just a random spoon?

Were spooning euphemisms involved?

No tank tops, no sandals, no spooning.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dash Decent on 20 February, 2017, 11:11:37 AM
Is that Cuddly Pete Wells there with Jim?

He mistook me for a pasty. I barely escaped with my life...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 18 February, 2017, 06:55:53 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 18 February, 2017, 01:53:10 PM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 18 February, 2017, 12:33:06 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 18 February, 2017, 12:25:16 PM
So what was this whole spoon thing about?

I got denied service for touching the barman's spoon.

Why did you touch his spoon?

I'm not asking that to be critical of you, or suggest he was justified. It's just reading these things out of context, these actions and reaction are rather odd and surreal. And comical.

I guess the real question is, what's the story?

I was waiting to be served. Had been for about 10 minutes. There was a spoon sat on the bar. It was all twisty, like a helter-skelter. I was bored. I picked it up and rolled it between my fingers. The barman went crazy. Some helpful Rebellion employee who was stood beside me explained this was lunatic behaviour. The barman remained crazy. I apologised for touching his spoon. The barman refused my apology.

I got Proudhuff to buy the round. (With my cash before you ask!)

Weirdly enough this lunatic behaviour carried on the next day, with the individual pointing Dr X out as a 'trouble maker' to other staff members, and accusing me of being a friend of the  'trouble maker' when a drink was spilled v.v late on during the Saturday bar debacle.

On a positive note I got to meet PJ Holden and Patrick Goddard on the Sunday morning as they headed to church ( part of that sentence isn't true)

DDT did a job on me

PlanetReplicas

Quote from: matty_ae on 17 February, 2017, 09:51:07 PM
A week on and what an amazing event it was.

I picked up amazing sketches by Simon Fraser (a hero I've not met since '98), a sketch from Cam Kennedy that honestly I couldn't be happier with - I thought it was a print at first), and then a lovely pencilled piece by the uber-genius Tom Foster.

I was trying to get everyone there associated with the first year of 2000ad to sign my bound collection and I managed that by starting at Gosh the night before.

I think I achieved it but only by missing out on chatting longer to the new talent like Dani, Emma Beeby, Kek-W, Dave Kendall, Dan Cornell etc. I think it was genuinely impossible to bring something for everyone to sign - and I can see retrospectively why so many fans got Thrill Power Overload or a poster signed en-masse.

So to Rebellion, you couldn't have done better. I'd welcome a smaller 'new talent' 2000ad con as nothing could top this unless Bolland, Cliff Robinson & Ian Gibson had paraglided in mid-con. THANKS GUYS.

My GOD that Cam Kennedy sketch is just incredible.
www.planetreplicas.com

info@planetreplicas.com
www.facebook.com/PlanetReplicas

Dunk!

"Trust we"

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

ZenArcade

See below my complaint on the Novotel website:  They haven't replied!  :(  Z

in the last week
Was over for two nights Friday 10 and Saturday 11 for a convention.
The rooms were clean, warm and spacious.
The food was over priced even for a London venue.
My main criticism however is for the bar and the staff.  They were frankly put: pathetic.  They showed little sign of being trained to a competent level. They were lacking in a grasp of the English language; were slow, verging on insultingly slow in serving customers; technically lacking in basic knowledge of drinks and how to pour them (watching one fellow destroying several pints of Guinness was a sight to behold); somewhat self obsessed (little tip: serve the customers, quickly and efficiently and don't spend an undue amount of time preening yourselves in the bar mirror); their manager (in the loosest term) would have been better served training his rather awful coterie of staff to some minimum level of competence as opposed to shouting loudly at them and banging every possible resonating surface within his reach in fits of pique much to the further (if that were possible) annoyance of the customers.
The coup de grace of this ongoing tragedy happened from 8pm inwards on Saturday night when the bar gradually seemed to run out of alcohol (the idea that the vapid, feckless, self obsessed nincimpoops posing as staff might have made recource to a cellar or local supplier to replenish stocks seems to have been a fanciful thought, fleetingly held on all of the customers behalfs). So at 1:00 am the lights at the bar were turned off and we all were rather tersely told the bar was closed.  After several dozen rather shocked people remonstrated with what we took to he a 'manager' we were told only residents would be served (a crafty ploy to Winnow out most of the bar customers it is to be assumed). When it quickly became evident that all of the people at the bar were in fact residents a couple of drinks were very grudgingly served to one person and then the staff like the hard working professionals they were stopped any pretence of doing their job and dissapeared.
I have never in my well travelled life seen a demonstration of how not to run a busy hotel bar as that which was presented to myself and so many others over the weekend.  I expended money and travelled a considerable distance in order to attend this convention and to meet with many friends and indeed to form relationships with new colleagues.  The Novotel was the antithesis of a place in which this would ever be likely to be facilitated to any professional level.
DON'T GO!
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Steve Green

Can't say I had any complaints, but since it's usually cider or diet coke with me and only stayed the Saturday night, I must have lucked out.

Maybe most of their residents go out, and they're just not used to hundreds of lazy nerds drinking the place dry.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Steve Green on 20 February, 2017, 05:42:47 PM
Can't say I had any complaints, but since it's usually cider or diet coke with me and only stayed the Saturday night, I must have lucked out.

Maybe most of their residents go out, and they're just not used to hundreds of lazy nerds drinking the place dry.

So you never had the experience I had on two occasions of asking for Cider and getting a pint of lemonade!

I'd assumed it was my thick scottish brogue but when translated by the English comic geek beside me the bemused barmaid pointed at the lemonade and said ' Si, Cider'   :lol:
DDT did a job on me

Satanist

Quote from: Steve Green on 20 February, 2017, 05:42:47 PM

I went out for about an hour and was told "Fuck off you bastard!" by an old piss-head (not Proudhuff). So I did ,straight back to the safety of the hotel bar. 
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Steve Green

Well I managed to avoid getting any rounds in (I think) and my ciders were pretty lemon free...

Skullmo

I left early on friday night (11.30) as we waited to get served for about 15 minutes and the only guy serving was still making one cocktail.

Saturday night they ran out of alcohol in the main bar.
It's a joke. I was joking.