Main Menu

Favourite Art Droid CLASSIC - POOL 1 Qualifying

Started by Colin YNWA, 19 October, 2020, 06:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddykafka

Funt Solo

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 19 October, 2020, 08:00:53 AM
1. The late, great John Hicklenton. He brought a new and unique take to Nemesis

I always loved the nose-comfy he gave 80s Britain Torquemada, to hide the rot.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Andy B

Hicklenton for sure. And Clarke for Sinister Dexter.

Colin YNWA

I think that second spot here is incredibly close (without having counted up) so if you want your favourite to qualify for the tourney proper get your vote in now and today as I'll be counting up in the morning first thing.

broodblik

I am actually more surprised by the number of people whom caste their votes for Hicklenton. He has such a unique style almost messy grotesque but it works wonderfully with the correct strip.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 21 October, 2020, 06:50:05 AM
I am actually more surprised by the number of people whom caste their votes for Hicklenton. He has such a unique style almost messy grotesque but it works wonderfully with the correct strip.

Yeah I did some predictions against where my own votes would have gone just for fun when I did the draw and I did think Hicklenton would go through (and he got my vote) on the basis that he has such a distinct style that on the right strip he's stella. The vote was going to be split with so much talent, but he had a unique voice that means for the proportion who like his work (and I suspect some will hate it) he will wrap up those votes easy.

That said I didn't think he'd be so far in front (I think, not done a count) and it will be interesting to see how far he goes in the tourney (assuming he qualifies)

Link Prime

Alright Colin, I'll try to keep up with this one!

John Hicklenton.
Simon Jacob.

ming

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Huey2

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED but please let's celebrate the work of the fantastic artist in this pool.

So I've had a little guess on all the votes and on this one, well I got one guess right and another was miles off. I thought Mike Austin would get through here and while he picked up a vote he didn't really feature. I personally would have gone for Dave D'Antiquis.

My other guess walked in and John Hicklenton's unique stylings see him comfortably through with a really great vote count.

The second spot has left me in a tizzy as two very different artists are tied. Andy Clarke's cool, defined line we saw develop on the page was safely in second spot the last day. But then Simon Jacob's sharp, other worldy imagination rallied after losing an early great start and by the end the two were tied. So its down to me and damn this is touch, both are such different artists.

In the end I think simon Jacob's art on Armoured Gideon was sublime and so creative but I don't think it worked as well on other strips and Andy Clark produced some wonderful work on one of my favourite periods of Sinister Dexter, but whose art, once we'd seen it fully form in front of us worked on other great strips, so 13 springs to mind and so on that basis into the tourney proper go.

John Hicklenton

Andy Clarke