Main Menu

how old is dredd?

Started by morrison, 22 January, 2003, 07:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

morrison

Dredd must be about 70,about time he was put out to pasture to make way for a new hero

paulvonscott

For me age isn't really the issue, Dredd should just get more interesting, his weaknesses should become plusses for the story.  I find Dredd more interesting as the years go on, though Wagner only gives us tantalising glimpses of him.  Maybe thats why they are so enjoyable.

I still say that for me the ultimate journey for Dredd would be one where he ended up a family man, with kids on a cursed earth farm.  Yeah he can kill dinosaurs, but there's a big part of me just wants him to get a wife and kids and enjoy life.

Having said that, I want to outlive the bastard.

As far as younger heroes go, well, what do you want?  Dredd, Rogue and Alpha were never youth culture twats like Sin and Dex.

paulvonscott

Hmmm... and the more obvious point, no Dredd = no 2000AD, probably the only reason 2000AD has survive, no point killing off the old dude till you have a replacement, which we don't.

petemaskreplica

nah, he's mid-50s, isn't he? it's all to do with that accelerated cloning malarky, or something. And he got extensively re-juved after Necropolis. And in the future presumably life expectancy's higher anyway. So he's got a few years in him yet.

Matt Timson

How old is dredd?  Old enough to buy fagz?
Pffft...

esoteric ed

No replacement? there's 7 clones out there, I'd say sooner or later one of them is gonna come up smelling of roses, I reckon Wagner will pluck an as yet unseen clone from the street and reinvent Joe, with Rico as an occasional sidekick like Giant for instance (just a thought).

But I'm not sure if I could accept a replacement, I recall Necropolis and Kraken, and putting aside comic sales etc I really didn't know if Joe was gonna get his badge back as I followed it each week, classic material.

"So I'm Expendible"

Ed

John Caliber

He's 58-59, depending on his birthday.

- JC
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

Queen Firey-Bou

yeah i make him 50's , & guys can still kick ass at that age, especially in the future.
I agree with Paul that as Dredd grows up with us, he's getting more n more interesting. I'm definately not ready to accept a replacement for a long time yet.

Thread Zero

Dredd was born in 2066 (shown on his grave stone during 'Mutie the Pig), this year in the Dreddverse in 2125.  Dredd is 58 or 59, although there seems to have been some accellerated cloning going on or something (he graduated in 2079 at age 13, seven years younger than normal (Academy of Law), and the only memory he possesses before the Academy of Law is being in a cloning tank (A Case for Treatment).  So, physically he's about 63 or 64, although the rejuve job he needed after Necropolis (seen in Death Aid) probably knocked a few years off.  

Devons Daddy

replace dredd
thats a discussion all on it own.
but age wise he is in his fifites.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Buddy

Wasn't reading 2000ad at the time of Death Aid, so don't know of any rejuve job BUT Joe did have treatment after The Dead Man story that gave him about ten years back.

Can Wagner continue to rejuve Dredd?

I've said it before, transplant his personality into a younger clone and get it over with.

John Caliber

I'd say the rejuve only repaired Dredd's skin and any other matter damaged by the Sister of Death's attack; internally, I reckon he's no different, or every judge would be getting rejuve treatment when they start turning grey.

- JC
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

seeneester

Perhaps we could get Frank Miller to write Dredd: The Dark Judge Returns. We'd have to kill him if he threatened to write a sequel though.

paulvonscott

The Chief Judge often used to go for his regular re-juve job, course that was some time ago, and things change.  But for important judges and consider how many they've lost, I reckon they still go in for it.

satchmo

Its the Big Meg at the end of the day,any of us could still be alive in 2125 with the technology we've seen in Dredd.Little Caesar from Lenny Zero was almost 200,but he'd been body swapping.
I think Dredd has at least 10 years on the streets before theres any need for this kind of talk.
Clint can still kick ass and direct adequate thrillers,and hes past 70.. : )