Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

Dan Abnett's latest 'Ammo Amass' pun from Sinister Dexter finally justifies those 4 years of Latin I had to do at school...

The Monarch

I really guess I gave John Hicklenton more praise when I was younger....god I was a stupid kid hating it :(

sheridan

Quote from: AlexF on 03 May, 2018, 10:06:45 AM
Dan Abnett's latest 'Ammo Amass' pun from Sinister Dexter finally justifies those 4 years of Latin I had to do at school...
So what's the pun?

Tjm86

The first exercise you had to learn was 'amo, amas, amat, amamus, amatis, amant'  'I love, you love, he she it loves, we love, you love, they love'.

Our head, who taught us Latin, liked to use negative reinforcement to aid memory.  One whack of the Jasper for each mark below the pass mark.  I suppose it worked after a fashion.  I can still remember too much of the Latin together with how much I hate it.

The Legendary Shark

The older I get, the more I regret not learning Latin.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

I thought it was pointless at the time to learn a dead language but it has been useful all my life in inferring the meaning of unfamiliar words.

Anyone else do the Cambridge Press Latin course featuring Pompeii citizen Caecilius and his slave Clemens and cook Grumio?

Frank

TordelBack

Quote from: Frank on 03 May, 2018, 05:33:46 PM
Quote from: Tjm86 on 03 May, 2018, 04:25:43 PM
'I love, you love,
he she it loves,
we love, you love, they love'

https://youtu.be/ZfMrbIzd69Q?t=35s

Jeez luweeze, why did so many of the TV people I loved as a little kid turn out to be such truly titanic shits.  Thank the good grud for Bernard Cribbins and David Attenborough (fingers crossed).

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 May, 2018, 05:51:54 PM
Quote from: Frank on 03 May, 2018, 05:33:46 PM
Quote from: Tjm86 on 03 May, 2018, 04:25:43 PM
'I love, you love,
he she it loves,
we love, you love, they love'

https://youtu.be/ZfMrbIzd69Q?t=35s

Jeez luweeze, why did so many of the TV people I loved as a little kid turn out to be such truly titanic shits.  Thank the good grud for Bernard Cribbins and David Attenborough (fingers crossed).

Tony Hart should be safe as well - anything untoward should have come out by now.

Smith

I got the entire Demon by Alan Grant now.And it dawned on me that The Thing-that-could-not-die is pretty much Gronk.There is also a (possible) tribute to The Fist of Dredd moment.And a musical issue.Because ofc there is. :)

Colin YNWA

Not read any of the Alan Grant Demon issues for years. How does it hold up?

Smith

Pretty good actually.Thou it does lose steam after #21.And you get a whole host of guest writers.

norton canes

No idea if it was intentional but 'The Slavers of Drule' makes sense when you consider homonyms of 'slavers' and 'drule'.

I, Cosh

Quote from: norton canes on 04 May, 2018, 09:24:08 AM
No idea if it was intentional but 'The Slavers of Drule' makes sense when you consider homonyms of 'slavers' and 'drule'.

This one's come up a few times already in this thread and more before. It's definitely intentional.

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 11 January, 2012, 04:10:44 PM
Quote from: Emperor on 11 January, 2012, 04:07:04 PM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 09 January, 2012, 11:47:57 AM
We had a thread about this a few years ago, but it's always nice to see if any new ones pop up.

Probably this one, in which Adrian Bamforth asks for an explanation of Slavers of Drule, proof that history is cyclical:

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,22044.0.html

I was thinking of this one.
http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,25403.msg437632#msg437632

SBT
We never really die.

AlexF

Quote from: sheridan on 03 May, 2018, 04:11:55 PM
Quote from: AlexF on 03 May, 2018, 10:06:45 AM
So what's the pun?

Sorry, I realise that was rather dickish of me to raise the pun without explaining it!

Thanks to those who chipped in. And, for the sake of completing the loop, I'll point out that 'ammo amass' means 'to put together a large collection of ammunition', an appropriate name for a gun shop. :lol:

(And let's all be grateful Abnett hasn't saddled us with supporting character 'Anus Annie', which would derive from the other 'first bit of Latin Grammar', the declension of the noun 'annus' (year) - annus anne annum anni anno anno anni anni annos annorum annis annis.)

On that note, any Asterix readers might wonder why, when drunk, they all hiccup as 'Hic Haec Hoc' - yup, you've guessed it, that's another bit of Latin grammar listing...