Main Menu

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Started by TordelBack, 23 January, 2017, 04:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

On my second viewing, I spotted a couple of plot holes: magic isn't real, and that's not how spaceships and lasers work.

von Boom

Quote from: Professor Bear on 21 December, 2017, 05:00:52 PM
On my second viewing, I spotted a couple of plot holes: magic isn't real, and that's not how spaceships and lasers work.

What? X-wings can't bank 180° in the space of a couple of metre? I think you need to look closely at detailed space combat section in The Butter Battle Book by Dr. Seuss

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 21 December, 2017, 04:40:40 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 December, 2017, 04:07:13 PM
I agree with you. I was responding to someone who disliked the crystal foxes entirely because they were a plot device - which just about everything in service to a plot is.

That would be me, and I disagree. Integral plot device. The caretakers aren't an integral plot device, neither are the porgs in my opinion. The crystal critters are, imo, there only to serve one purpose and that is as a plot device. And it's lazy despite how beautiful they look.

I see your point and respect it. I don't think the same way but who cares? If we all shared the same perspective it would be a very dull world. Your perspective encouraged me to think about my perspective and that's the beauty of these discussions, I think. If we don't think about what we think or think about what other people think then I think that what we think isn't really worth thinking, don't you think?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Steven Denton

I agree with you. I was responding to someone who disliked the crystal foxes entirely because they were a plot device - which just about everything in service to a plot is.

That would be me, and I disagree. Integral plot device. The caretakers aren't an integral plot device, neither are the porgs in my opinion. The crystal critters are, imo, there only to serve one purpose and that is as a plot device. And it's lazy despite how beautiful they look.

The Porgs are there to cover real world Puffins. The Caretakers are there for background colour.

The Crystal foxes add some background colour and fulfil a narrative purpose. Not sure how that's lazy. They had to get out of the mine somehow and that seems as good a way as any to me.

The Legendary Shark

The porgs are there to stealth-promote vegetarianism... ;)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

jacob g

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 21 December, 2017, 04:40:40 PMThe crystal critters are, imo, there only to serve one purpose and that is as a plot device. And it's lazy despite how beautiful they look.

Like this god damn air-vents in Die Hard! Lazy.
margaritas ante porcos

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 December, 2017, 05:08:42 PM

I see your point and respect it. I don't think the same way but who cares?

I do. Which is why I posted.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Steven Denton on 21 December, 2017, 05:17:03 PM

The Porgs are there to cover real world Puffins. The Caretakers are there for background colour.

The Crystal foxes add some background colour and fulfil a narrative purpose. Not sure how that's lazy. They had to get out of the mine somehow and that seems as good a way as any to me.

Didn't have to go in the mine  in the first place. The last place I would have gone in.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: jacob g on 21 December, 2017, 05:55:29 PM
Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 21 December, 2017, 04:40:40 PMThe crystal critters are, imo, there only to serve one purpose and that is as a plot device. And it's lazy despite how beautiful they look.

Like this god damn air-vents in Die Hard! Lazy.

Ah, man. We are now in a different world .

I can now see the craziness.

Mattofthespurs

background colour.

Enough said.
On a losing streak.
Never gonna win, or gain ground, with that kind of explanation.
I've said my piece.
I liked it.
Just obviously not enough for some.

The Legendary Shark

Sorry, Matt, I didn't mean to belittle or upset you when I asked, "who cares?" It was my ham-fisted way of saying it's just a disagreement over one aspect of one film and not worth falling out about.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Steven Denton

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 21 December, 2017, 06:12:47 PM
background colour.

Enough said.
On a losing streak.
Never gonna win, or gain ground, with that kind of explanation.
I've said my piece.
I liked it.
Just obviously not enough for some.

Losing streak for what?

I like background colour, it gives a location depth.

I'm certainly not criticising your comments, just trying to understand them.

I was supprised when the film kept going after the rebels got to the mine. I expected it to finish and then pick up the siege and escape in episode 9. That for me was when it started to feel too long.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 December, 2017, 06:22:15 PM
Sorry, Matt, I didn't mean to belittle or upset you when I asked, "who cares?" It was my ham-fisted way of saying it's just a disagreement over one aspect of one film and not worth falling out about.

Hey, no worries  :)

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Rusty

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 December, 2017, 05:29:31 PM
The porgs are there to stealth-promote vegetarianism... ;)
And tiny plastic chickens on a spit.