Main Menu

Meg 283 Tank Girl

Started by Proudhuff, 28 March, 2009, 09:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Great stuff,  even better letters page :D
That Dredd has something for everyone, Insurrection: gulp! Citi def: nice ending,Written stuff later
DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

Rubbish, rubbish letter Huff. Everyone knows dinosaurs are great!

Proudhuff

Crank up your spreadsheet you old duffer I want to see where you are ;)
DDT did a job on me

Leigh S

Two posts about the letters and a spam... not good!

I'll start by saying I enjoyed Al's Dredd, though not as much as recent ones - It feels like a lot of Als Dredds reference old continuity (and often scarily non-Wagner continuity! :)) when they might stand up better without it.  Still, its well written, and looks quite pretty - Nick Dyers art isnt quite to my tastes , but I'll defend it as somethingthat could very much be spot on my taste with enough time to develop.

I agree with Charlie Adlards assessment of the progs need for less schlock and more shock!

WoD

I thought Al's Dredd was great.  Fresh and also using some nice references of older stuff, with a sprinkling of future foreboding!

Devons Daddy

enjoying the meg
but you can bury tank girl, i dont even bother to read it.
is this a reprint, from another publicatoion?,
nothing wrong with that, i enjoyed being introduced to preacher and the charlies war, but this is just not for me,. other wise excellent.

not going to get all uptight over one very poor entry into an otherwise brillant publication.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

IndigoPrime

Tank Girl's not reprint—it's a story done specifically for the Meg.

Robin Low

I read the Dredd and Insurrection. Couldn't be arsed with anything else, even though Rufus' panels in Tank Girl are really rather lovely.

Obviously, Dredd was of particular interest to me. I thought it was a rather cleverly written story, which successfully walked the tricky tightrop of doing something interesting with a continuity issue without saying anything conclusive. I was impressed.

Regards

Robin

Judge Kirby

COVER: Kinda bland, not badly drawn but Rufus has set such a high standard with his previous 2 covers

DREDD: This Al Ewing fella can do no wrong as far as im concerned. Although i still dont know why PSI judges dont have their names on their badge like standard street judges.

CITI DEF: Adolescent Immature Trash and the worst thing ive read in god knows how long

I dont know how to fully articulate my Hatred for Tony Lees writing but last issue we had...
Come on you puss filled apes you wanna live forever  - Starship Troopers
yippie kai yay motherdrokkers - Die Hard :shit like this grounds it in our world not dredds.
We have people shouting pick and mix!!! it reads like a joke, its set in the dreddverse and it reads like one big piss take aimed at children...except it has RAPE.
Rape is fine in America where its horrific and disgusting and contributes to character development, plot and is handled by Wagner. In citi def Tony Lee has made sexual assault as lighthearted as dinosaurs and rad zombies..."not until he pays for what he did to me...I DONT WEAR DRESSES! it reads like a really poor Joss Weiden story.
Why would such a young Judge take the long walk?
Hotdog Run this aint.

TANK GIRL: This is how you make a light hearted yet thoroughly entertaining comic set in a desert. The art has so much energy its bleeding off the page although the race is starting to drag just a little, still enjoying it immencly

INSURRECTION: The first thrill i turn to. One of the best stories the meg has commissioned in a long time, im praying for a follw up story and a lovely trade paperback from rebellion.

CHOPPER: New material for me. pissed off he didnt cross the finish line  :shock:  if this where a tv show id have been screaming at the box. Best part of the meg for me i was smiling through the whole read.

ARTICLES: Still dont think the reviews have any place in the meg but ad least the comic articles are relevent. Might pick up some Walking Dead.

Pete Wells

QuoteCHOPPER: New material for me. pissed off he didnt cross the finish line  if this where a tv show id have been screaming at the box. Best part of the meg for me i was smiling through the whole read.

How could you smile during Supersurf 11? It's horrible, gruesome and heartbreaking all in equal measure! I adore that story, imagine how legendary it would have been if Chopper hadn't stupidly been brought back...

Judge Kirby

QuoteHow could you smile during Supersurf 11? It's horrible, gruesome and heartbreaking all in equal measure! I adore that story, imagine how legendary it would have been if Chopper hadn't stupidly been brought back...

WE HAVE TO LOOK AT THE HORROR UNTIL IT BECOMES A FRIEND!!!  :twisted:  

It was amazing the man gave every bit of himself to his convictions and died trying to drag himself over the finish line. I love Garth Ennis on Punisher but i never cared for his 2000ad work. I thought Helter Skelter was his biggest mess up. Never got why people where pissed off bout the chopper thing but i get it now. Bringing him back completly cheapens everything he worked for and sacrificed in SS11

Robin Low

Quote from: "Judge Kirby"It was amazing the man gave every bit of himself to his convictions and died trying to drag himself over the finish line.

I sometimes think I must be the only person on the planet who did not automatically assume that Chopper had died. I saw a man fail to cross the finishing line, not a man die. The tragedy was failure, not death.

And let's be honest, there'd be a lot fewer complaints about his survival if the stories that came after were actually any good.

Regards

Robin

I, Cosh

Quote from: "Robin Low"
Quote from: "Judge Kirby"It was amazing the man gave every bit of himself to his convictions and died trying to drag himself over the finish line.
I sometimes think I must be the only person on the planet who did not automatically assume that Chopper had died. I saw a man fail to cross the finishing line, not a man die. The tragedy was failure, not death.

And let's be honest, there'd be a lot fewer complaints about his survival if the stories that came after were actually any good.
Not quite. I've never understood that reaction either.
We never really die.

TordelBack

Well, that was a turn-up for the books - what a great Meg.  I read things in the reverse of my usual order this month, suspecting that the reprint GN would be the thing I enjoyed most.  I was only partly right.

Chopper:  Gobsmackingly brilliant, I'd really fogotten how much I loved this story - I think it's one of the best things Wagner ever wrote, for sheer brutality only exceeded by Mandroid, and the art gets better with every episode (I particularly love Dora's flowery knickers).  And you know what?  For the first time I was actually glad that the poor bastard survived, despite its subverting of all the wonderful foreshadowing.  Who cares about the demands of story, Chop didn't deserve to die any more than he did at the end of Oz.  Must need tighter boots.  

Anyway, still grinning ear to ear from that old gem, I turned to the articles... and read them all.  Good stuff, particularly the movies and the Adlard interview.

Then it was Insurrection.  Wow.  Outstanding stuff that has me completely gripped.  Assuming David Brin or Games Workshop don't sue, I hope we get more of this one day.

Then Citi-Def, which aside from some more somewhat out-of-place dialogue was actually a good solid end to a hit-and-miss tale, and the artwork perked up a bit too.

Then Tank Girl, which took a pretty odd digression, with some nifty zipatone/letratone flashbackery.  I didn't think I'd enjoy TG much, never having been a fan, but this has really kept my interest by throwing something new into the mix every episode - essential in the drag-it-out-over-years pacing of the Meg.  Looking forward to the one-offs.

And finally Dredd, which looked like it was going to be a throwaway Ipcress File pastiche/humorous one-shot, which I wasn't in the mood for.  Blimey was I wrong.  This was a perfect Dredd story in the mould of the mid '80s.  Funny movie-riff setup, extremely clever but oddly subtle use of continuity, pitch-perfect rendition of MC-1 and what makes it great(?), some excellent lines ("It felt like rockcrete"), and a tragic hero that you end up rooting for right before the other judicial boot falls.  Amazing stuff.  It probably helps that I adore Dyer's artwork, but I honestly thought this was a classic.  Best of all, it obviously wasn't Wagner, while still being perfectly Judge Dredd.  That's the hardest trick of all.

TordelBack

Incidentally, double-post fans and passing editorial droids, I would gladly give the House of Tharg my hard-saved euros for a big thick 'Complete' Chopper, starting with Un-American Graffiti and ending with the recent Goddard MC-1 tale.  Yes, even the Chop-and-Jug-as-Dicks stuff.  I enjoyed this re-read that much.

The only question is how to integrate Oz.