Main Menu

Judge Dredd, the greatest ever?

Started by Thread Zero, 11 November, 2001, 09:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thread Zero

While reading through some back progs as research for my screenplay, I have come to the conclusion (well I thought this years ago actually!) that Judge Dredd really is the greatest action hero of them all.

I really think no other character, be it in a comic, book, or movie, has ever rivalled Dredd.

Anyone disagree?

scojo

fraston

Thread Zero

Although I do like James Bond.

Maybe he is a close second.

Scojo

Thread Zero

I think one of the reason I thought the original Dredd movie was so disappointing, was they wasted so much potential.

I think most fans think the same.

The beginning was in the spirit of Dredd but once he was sentenced to Aspen the film fell apart.

And as for Roy Shneider (may have spelt his surname wrong) as Fergie, what that not the worst decision they ever made?

Hey this is the god's truth.
After I saw the Dredd film for the first time in the cinema, I came home and I felt depressed. Not sad but genuinely depressed!
All that wait for that!
I still have the nightmares of Fergie too.

Damn Duchess of York!

scojo who hates royalty

Mk13

:And as for Roy Shneider (may have spelt his surname wrong) as Fergie

That'd be 'Rob' Schneider, also star of laugh-riots such as Deuce Bigalow and, er, some new one about animal organ transplants.

Roy Scheider was the Blue Thunder guy - way cooler than Airwolf IMHO. (Though who was more irritating - that blonde kid or Ernest Borgnine?)...

Thread Zero

Yeah but Rob Shneider is in jaws 5!

You see Roy Schneider was Brody in Jaws i think and..Oh...
I will shut up!

scojo

McNulty

I think that if you want to have a truly great hero, he has to has a good well rounded personality. You have to see all aspects of his character - the good and the bad. Also, he has to develop over time. With Dredd, we have this: a great lawman who can be brutal, but also show compassion occasionally. Can uphold the spirit as well as the letter of the law. From his beginnings as a shoot-em-up cop we have seen much development in his character and we can relate to the situations/storylines, although based in a sci-fi world of the fututre. All in all, Dredd has a good claim to be a great hero, although other characters have a strong claim also - Johnny Alpha springs to mind.