Main Menu

Slaine and Conan

Started by Wulf Thunder, 01 October, 2010, 10:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locustsofdeath!

I haven't read Thrud, but I can list off a slew of Conan comics rip-offs that are pretty fun reading. Two of which I can really recommend are Ernie Chan's 'Claw the Unconquered' and Roy Thomas; 'Arak, Son of Thunder' which is about an American Indian taken in by Vikings in an alternate past that's full of magic and such. Neither actually fought Conan however.

Danbo

Knew a guy once who was well into his Conan and Slaine aswell as Celt myth and he seemed to think that they could be interpretations of the same warrior,a guy called Cuchulaine,warp spasm and all.If hes right i dunno but there are similarities
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%BA_Chulainn

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Beeks

Cohan would kick all their arses...

"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

James Stacey

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 04 November, 2010, 07:40:24 PM
I haven't read Thrud, but I can list off a slew of Conan comics rip-offs that are pretty fun reading. Two of which I can really recommend are Ernie Chan's 'Claw the Unconquered' and Roy Thomas; 'Arak, Son of Thunder' which is about an American Indian taken in by Vikings in an alternate past that's full of magic and such. Neither actually fought Conan however.

Wow I've actually got a load of those Arak comics somewhere. Forgotten all about them. They were of the late 70s early 80s 1st issue COLLECTORS EDITION school of comics ..got them for 20p each in Jacobs Market. Very collectable :S OK read though

Beeks

I googled Thrud and was wracking my brains as to where I had seen him before in my long ago youth...then I remembered he used to be in White Dwarf!
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 05 November, 2010, 01:45:19 PM
Knew a guy once who was well into his Conan and Slaine aswell as Celt myth and he seemed to think that they could be interpretations of the same warrior,a guy called Cuchulaine,warp spasm and all.If hes right i dunno but there are similarities
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%BA_Chulainn

REH once said that Conan was a combination of local Texas folk - tough oil men, brawlers, laborers, and such (I'll have to dig up his exact quote from a letter, I believe, to H.P. Lovecraft) rather than any actual historical figure. You have to remember, REH grew up in bumpkin town in Depression Era Texas - he often lamented in letters that he had limited access to historical materials, and the texts that his library did carry were out of date. This especially bothered him when he began to seriously consider writing historical fiction. If he ran into anything about Cuchulaine, I doubt it was anything in-depth.

Conan and Slaine have very little in common in my eyes. Solomon Kane and Defoe are closer as far a character and atmosphere goes - interestingly enough I asked Pat Mills about the similarities between his characters and REH's and said, that while he enjoys REH's works, he doesn't feel they're similar at all.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: James Stacey on 05 November, 2010, 04:24:24 PM
Wow I've actually got a load of those Arak comics somewhere. Forgotten all about them. They were of the late 70s early 80s 1st issue COLLECTORS EDITION school of comics ..got them for 20p each in Jacobs Market. Very collectable :S OK read though

Yeah, Arak was fun through the first maybe 20 issues! Fell off though, surprised the comic made 50.

Danbo

Fair enough :),i do know one thing and thats Conan doesn't have a Bon Jovi hair do like he has in the new film.

locustsofdeath!

Dan, I didn't mean to come off overly serious - I mean, I guess who knows!

But that Bon Jovi hair makes Slaine look so cute!

Danbo

Don't worry mate,i didn't take it the wrong way :D

You're right Slaine can carry off that rock chick look with aplomb lol,like Motley crew with an axe now