Main Menu

The Trailer Thread

Started by radiator, 16 November, 2011, 02:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedgeski

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 01 March, 2019, 08:33:37 AM
New Hellboy trailer. OK, I'm feeling a lot better-disposed towards the new movie. Looks like it could be loads of schlocky fun, although I still have reservations about the actual Hellboy make-up job...
Ooh, yeah, that's better. Agreed on the make-up job.

radiator

The 4th(!) attempt at Terminator 3 looks surprisingly cheap and awful:

https://youtu.be/RwEr9tOwAbs

As tired as the Terminator franchise is at this point, I would be so up for a balls to the wall, stripped down Fury Road style reboot that got back to the essence of the original movies. This one doesn't look any better than the last few, though. Genuinely shocked at how bad the effects are - I'm so tired of this phony, cartoonish greenscreen aesthetic that almost all genre movies have these days.

Frank

Quote from: radiator on 23 May, 2019, 04:49:57 PM
The 4th(!) attempt at Terminator 3 looks surprisingly cheap and awful:

https://youtu.be/RwEr9tOwAbs

... Genuinely shocked at how bad the effects are - I'm so tired of this phony, cartoonish greenscreen aesthetic that almost all genre movies have these days.

True.  JJ Abrams' new Star Wars sequel is making a big selling point of shooting on location and using practical effects, so at least there's one big sci-fi sequel you're sure to enjoy.

More importantly, there isn't a single original idea on show. I remember a hack being given a tour round Cameron's offices (early nineties) and reporting he'd been shown plans for Terminator 3 that didn't involve the original cast and took the franchise in a completely new direction.

Whatever eye-watering sum persuaded Cameron to take a producer credit on this TV pilot masquerading as a feature obviously wasn't enough to blow the dust off that lever arch file. And the music - I don't know about you, but when I think of Terminator, I think of Bjork. *

* Specifically, a sad piano cover of Bjork. I like Bjork. Her music doesn't make me think of indestructible robots tearing off their own arms to beat each other into a shower of lab-grown meat and spare parts.

radiator

I've never understood why the infiltration angle of the Terminators hasn't been used more. Rather than endlessly rehashing the T2 formula, wouldn't it be far scarier if literally anybody could be a Terminator? I seem to remember in the Robocop Vs Terminator comics they kind of used this idea - they had a child Terminator, even a dog Terminator IIRC. Seems like such an obvious premise for a Terminator movie to get back to it's slasher/chase movie roots.

QuoteTrue.  JJ Abrams' new Star Wars sequel is making a big selling point of shooting on location and using practical effects, so at least there's one big sci-fi sequel you're sure to enjoy.

Said it before, but it's so refreshing watching big budget action movies from 20+ years ago to see all the location shooting, the practical stunts etc. Don't get me wrong, cg is wonderful, I just wish they'd be a bit more restrained in its use sometimes. Everything in that trailer just looks like a videogame cutscene to me. I was expecting a lot better considering Cameron is involved this time.

Frank

Quote from: radiator on 23 May, 2019, 06:26:39 PM
Everything in that trailer just looks like a videogame cutscene to me. I was expecting a lot better considering Cameron is involved this time.

'Producer' is a term that covers a lot of ground. If J-Cam did more than make a phone call to his ex, I'd be amazed. *

I was only kidding about you enjoying Star Wars. Please acknowledge my hilarity.

* I haven't read anything about this turkey. So I might be talking out my hole

radiator

I seem to remember  hearing something about the rights reverting back to Cameron after the last movie, so I figured he'd be more involved in this one.

JOE SOAP

I assume if he was really interested in more Terminator he'd be making it himself and not 4 Avatars but JC does have a story credit ... with 4 other writers.

As usual the trailer's probably not selling the film that it actually is, but even so, for me this franchise hasn't had anywhere else to go since 1984. Everything since has been a remake.

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 23 May, 2019, 07:14:21 PM..., for me this franchise hasn't had anywhere else to go since 1984. Everything since has been a remake.

S'right. But at least T2 was a very pretty, entertaining remake.

Mardroid

I think for all it's faults, Terminator Salvation did something a bit different.

I'm not saying it was a great film, or even that good, although I quite enjoyed it.

broodblik

The Terminator franchise should take a nap for a few years. Another attempt to redo the same story that we have seen without adding something new.   
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IAMTHESYSTEM

I've read online it has a more 'nuanced political story,' hence it's setting the American Mexican Border. The Trailer gives away the Villians ability to copy itself using Nano Technology so Nil points there. Hollywood gets its Trailers made by Companies that sometimes have had zero to do with the Production and are mostly the cheapest available if you want to minimise losses.  This Trailer is the first, but if they are indifferent to its revelations already that might mean the filmmakers have low expectations of the success of their product.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Mardroid

I don't think the Rev-9* is actually copying itself. [spoiler]It appears to be a similar construction to the T-X from Rise of the Machines (Loken's character) I.e. an endo-skeleton with a liquid metal (or possibly nano-tech, which might be the same thing) sheath. This model has the added functionality of being able to detach it's sheath from its skeleton and moving it independently like a T-1000.

That's the impression I get, anyway. If you check out the scene where it slides through the truck window and reforms, it leaves a robot skeleton behind in the driver's seat.

It's basically a cross between the T-X and the T-1000, without the built in plasma weapon, although they might produce something like that later, for all I know. I suspect this one won't control other machines too, which is fair enough, as I thought they stretched credibility a bit with that one.

The protector woman seems to be a similar concept to Worthington's cyborg character from Salvation.

So yeah, none of it seems that original yet... but I like it. The Rev-9's** extra 'independent sheath' functionality could be used in an interesting way***.

And nice to see Hamilton back in action. I'm glad to give this new film a go.

* What the new baddie terminator is called apparently.

**Really? Couldn't they have come up with something better than that?

*** Insert innuendo here. "That's what she said!" Etc, etc.[/spoiler]

Jim_Campbell

Full trailer for the new Swamp Thing TV series, about which I am cautiously optimistic. Production troubles notwithstanding, Verheiden is originally a comic book guy, with some good TV stuff to his name over the years.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

radiator

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 26 May, 2019, 11:54:34 AM
I've read online it has a more 'nuanced political story,' hence it's setting the American Mexican Border. The Trailer gives away the Villians ability to copy itself using Nano Technology so Nil points there. Hollywood gets its Trailers made by Companies that sometimes have had zero to do with the Production and are mostly the cheapest available if you want to minimise losses.  This Trailer is the first, but if they are indifferent to its revelations already that might mean the filmmakers have low expectations of the success of their product.

To be fair, people who have seen actual scenes/footage from the movie have apparently raved about it, so the movie could end up being decent. I'll keep an open mind, but I still think the effects in this trailer look godawful. It looks like a cheap superhero movie.

I think a fundamental problem with the terminator series is that in terms of design you can't really top the T-1000. It's simply the perfect infiltration/killing machine. Any attempt to go 'one better', like the one from Terminator 3, just looks silly by comparison.

Rately

Quote from: radiator on 28 May, 2019, 09:03:56 PM
Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 26 May, 2019, 11:54:34 AM

To be fair, people who have seen actual scenes/footage from the movie have apparently raved about it, so the movie could end up being decent. I'll keep an open mind, but I still think the effects in this trailer look godawful. It looks like a cheap superhero movie.

I think a fundamental problem with the terminator series is that in terms of design you can't really top the T-1000. It's simply the perfect infiltration/killing machine. Any attempt to go 'one better', like the one from Terminator 3, just looks silly by comparison.

You really can't top the effects, performance and use of the T-1000. One of the truly great villains in recent film history.

Low expectations for the film, but I am prepared to give it a chance, and hope that they've just cut a terrible trailer.

Would love to see a bonkers director, Nicolas Winding Refn or S. Craig Zahler, get a stab at doing a reboot, and maybe finally seeing something fresh brought to the series.