Main Menu

2000ad & Megazine "Promotion" at WH Smiths

Started by Adrian Bamforth, 12 February, 2012, 02:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrian Bamforth

So for serveral weeks the Prog and Meg haven't been on the shelves as normal with the american comics, sci-fi magazines and rock periodicals at my local WH Smiths. Eventually, I ask at the desk. It is because they are on 'promotion', which apparently means they are on a shelf BEHIND the counter, where, if you see it, you have to ask for them to hand it to you, at which point you have to buy it because you're standing at the front of the checkout queue. What's that all about?

Spikes

The Meg is always there on the shelf in my W.H.Smiths, but the Prog is never on show, or even available, as far as i know. Been like that for as long as i can remember. Why this should be, i dont know, is it easier to carry a monthly title rather than a weekly one, or that, regarding something like comics, weekly titles have no real relevance/place on the shelf any more?

Goosegash

My nearest WH Smiths usually has both on the shelves, but you have to look carefully as they're often hidden behind numerous Titan reprint collections. I usually just subtly move one or two to the front if I see they've been put at the back. Can't hurt, can it...

SmallBlueThing

No change at my local whs, so must be a local thing. Although they have been known to just make any old bollocks up to cover their mistakes; such as the prog being cancelled one week it didnt arrive and burlesque bible magazine receiving complaints to head office, justifying a move from womens interest to up with the lads mags.

SBT

Spikes

Quote from: Goosegash on 12 February, 2012, 03:47:43 PM
I usually just subtly move one or two to the front if I see they've been put at the back. Can't hurt, can it...

Hah, me too.  ;)

Alski

"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/