Main Menu

Meg 218

Started by WoD, 05 April, 2004, 07:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McNulty

Re: Brigadoom, I had planned on having both elements in my own Scottish themed story I am currently posting up on this board, that of Brigadoon and of the infamous Sawney Bean and the Scottish Cannibals. Looks like I was beaten to the punch. Damn! Still, I can't be too upset, after all, it is about my namesake!

+rufus+

Slightly related , I've put up some more pages, including some Cursed Earth pages (a tenuous link, I grant you..) and some Biz ABC pages on my list in the ,Original Art, section.
Haven't got my meg yet... : (
Rufus

ARRISARRIS

... have a good look at those 2 covers chaps, is it me or does cover #2 have the same robots in it as cover #1? (the original Cursed Earth saga) So are we going to be treated to a return appearance of President Booths droids and maybe the infamous man himself, always thought it a bit of a lame punishment to put him in suspended animation for 100 years, what kind of punishment is that??? Anyway, when Dredd gave him hard labour itd be nice to know what hes been up to in the last 26 years. Nothing good i be bound, hes maybe even the leader of the New Mutant Army...

Rio De Fideldo

The robots on the covers appear to be the Justice Dept droids not the President droids/vampires.

The Enigmatic Dr X

The Meg is up to its usual standards.

You can take that comment any way you choose.
Lock up your spoons!

W. R. Logan

Just spoken to Denise in subscriptions:
01621 877250
If you received your subscription copy of Meg 218 with only one cover give her a ring and she?ll post you the double cover version.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

WoD

Thanks Logan,
I gave a call yesterday and she was fab and said that she would put it in the post.  The subs dept should get their own mention in droid-life for all their hard work.
WoD.

Mangamax

Second that. Couldn't get a more polite and friendly person on the end of the phone.
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

DavidXBrunt

A decent enough Meg. Dredd in the Cursed Earth with Rdgeway art? Can't fail, can it? It doesn't. Dounrey gets a decent introduction. Looking forwards to the rest.

Middenface - glad to see it back. Feels like a sidestep in the continuing story though. Looks lovely.

Mean Machine - get's me points in the league so yay! Okay story, odd art.

Whatever - don't know the character but got the jist. Not so taken with the art though.

Black Siddhe - Yeah, enjoyed this. Quite liked the last run, look forwards to more.

Reprints - I'll get round to reading them eventually. Not read Charlies War since the Decembe issue. Glad to see Helltreckers though. I've not read it before but am interested in reading it.

ukdane

Whats happened to the 2000ad GOLD! reprints pull out section? This month, it's all bundled in towards the end of the Meg. SHAME!

Is there a reason (Mr Barnes) for it no longer being called GOLD, and for it not being "Pull-out"?
Cheers

-Daney

Trout

Hooray!

It's Meg time!

- The fish swims north very quickly...

Mr D

Doctor seeking recognition and fame seeks high profile 'bad guy' with which to test revolutionary 'new treatment' that modifies violent impulses at the onset.

That was the whole point of Burgess' book and the whole point of Wagners story.

No, that was the plot. The point was the loss of freedom, and questioning whether freedom should be sacrificed etc. Plus Alex didn't get married... :-P

ESCUBRIA

This months meg covers are obviously inspired by McMahon's "Second Civil War" cover for  prog 169 and there's nothing wrong with that; they all look incredible.

Trout

My monthly dissection, with far to much detail for me to be confident of my own mental health...

The covers are truly amazing. Full-on thrill power. I like. They're officially the Best Bit In The Comic, IMO.

I quite enjoyed the opening Dredd, especially as I'm a big Ridgway fan.
However, the colouring's dodgy, isn't it? Is Dounrey wearing lippy?

I was interested to see the Rangers introduced. Dounrey appears to be the first non-Judge we've seen use a sleep machine, too.

Young Middenface, was fine. It seems a good enough first part.
All those Scots stereotypes are often funny in comics and we'll see how this develops.

Yes, I have deja-vu too with the Mean Machine tale, and it's nothing special, although not actually bad.
I'm hoping it'll have some sort of shock ending.
The art's quite nice, too.

However, I didn't really like the art on the Conrad Conn story.
I'm all for trying new styles - and stylistically it was nice - but I had trouble following it in places.
The story wasn't shock-filled, but it was okay.
I'm also very relieved none of the journalists I know wear a thong like that. :-)

I didn't hate Black Siddha, surprisingly.
It seems a straightforward US comics tale of a new hero mastering his powers. I've read similar stuff before.
The work of Si Davis was the highlight here.

This month's Charley's War was the best yet.
It's simplistic yet exciting and the art really appeals to me.

I was pleased to see Helltrekkers in as the reprint, as I'd read one episode in the past and was interested to read the rest.
I'm sure it was slagged off on the board before, so I was surprised to enjoy it.

I like carnage.

The Rennie column was very funny again. He's a real troll-baiter, that one! :-)

Finally, Bishop's Dredd files feature was interesting and nicely themed.

Overall, I'm not enthusing about this Meg, but I still enjoyed pretty much all of it.

Maybe six out of ten.

- Trout

The Monarch

hmm shocked to say i enjoyed helltreckers i thought it was supposed to be filed in the chronos carnival bin?

Anyway good prog and interesting to see another themed prog first giant and now the cursed earth what next?