Main Menu

Digest vs TPB. Why so small?

Started by Lorenzo, 20 November, 2018, 09:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

yeah, I've had to wear glasses for the last decade, but even with them, I can't read those digest books.

Magnetica

I see from the Thrillmail that the Steel Commando is coming out in digest form next August. Following on from The Viligant, I would be interested in a TPB, but won't buy the digest. Basically it is a missed opportunity as far as i am concerned - presumably they still have to do the same work to clean up the art (?).

broodblik

Unfortunately I feel the same. Without my four eyes I am lost.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Lorenzo

I'm not seeing much love for Digests in this thread, looks like I'm not alone. I wonder if anyone from Rebellion reads this...  ::)

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Magnetica on 22 November, 2018, 06:42:45 PM
I see from the Thrillmail that the Steel Commando is coming out in digest form next August. Following on from The Viligant, I would be interested in a TPB, but won't buy the digest. Basically it is a missed opportunity as far as i am concerned - presumably they still have to do the same work to clean up the art (?).

I was exactly the same! 'Ooh, I'll pick that u- Oh, it's digest. Maybe not.'
@jamesfeistdraws

Frank

Tharg knows how much the digests sell. If they weren't shifting, presumably, they wouldn't keep on printing more.

Magnetica

Sure I get that. I'm not arguing the business case here, just that I'm never going to buy one, but would buy a "proper" trade of some of these stories.

As was said up thread, they aren't aimed at us. If Rebellion makes money from them great, just give us a larger version as well.

AlexF

Yeah, I've always assumed the digests are 100% not aimed at regular 2000AD readers, but at a) younger readers with less money to spend (I certainly remember buying the teeny tiny Asterix books as a youth 'cos I could afford them, even if reading them was impossible), and b) bookshop browsers looking for a casual buy.

I'm curious how the digital editions work - is one able to zoom in and enlarge each page to 'original' full size?

The Monarch

considering 80 percent of archies sales come from digest editions there must a market for such tiny letters :lol:

TordelBack

I was introduced (well into my teens) to the original few years of Spider-man and Fantastic Four care of a loan of some ugly little monochrome Marvel digests, my first real exposure to the genius of Ditko and Kirby, and I'm forever grateful to the format for that.  However, the US comic page is so much closer in size to the digest format than the 2000AD page, so I'm not sure it's even the same thing.