Main Menu

How to collect Nikolai Dante GN's?

Started by marko10174, 04 June, 2017, 01:43:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marko10174

I've just finished reading the Romanov dynasty, I was so impressed with this story that I am going to get the rest. I understand that there is 11 GN's all together, and wiki explains the order to collect them in, however there are two GN's listed on ebay and amazon that are not listed on wiki. These two GN's are "to cool to kill" and "Love and war". Of the eleven stories, which stories do these two GN's cover. Thanks.

The Monarch

too cool to kill is a new release of the romanov dynasty

love and war (i think) is a new release of the 3rd book the courtship of princess jena markarov. if you are collecting from the start its better to get those two better covers

The Adventurer

Yes, for I assume marketing reasons, Romanov Dynasty and Courtship got renamed with reprinting.  Courtship was out of print for a while and was going for insane prices for a bit.

Romanov Dynasty and Great Game were released by DC originally, then Rebellion started doing it on their own with Courtship and continuing until series conclusion.

Rebellion then latter struck a deal with Simon and Shuster, who, I believe, are the ones who released Too Ccol, Great Game, and Love and War. Which is why they got new names/covers/trade dress/spines.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

CalHab

Several of the books are out of print currently. A nice new series of omnibus collections would be just the thing, I'd have thought.

Mute77

I feel that the dante series may have benefitted from book numbering because i find it a bit confusing with the different prints and repackaging. Id love to see an omnibus  edition or series of hardbacks though.

Magnetica

I am currently reading the Courtship of Jena Makarov which I borrowed from my local library.

One thing occurred to me this week. Shouldn't her name be Makarova rather than Makarov?

Also, I might have missed it, but Tsar Vladimir doesn't ever seem to be referred to as Makarov, but presumably that is his name given he is her father.

marko10174

So courtship was renamed love and war? and that's the third book? with great game following straight after Romanov dynasty?

Of the eleven books, it looks like the tsar wars volume one and two, and sword of the tsar are the ones that are out of print and pretty impossible to get a hold of. I may have a bit of a nightmare on my hands trying to get this full collection. Drokk!

sheridan

Quote from: Magnetica on 04 June, 2017, 08:33:21 AM
I am currently reading the Courtship of Jena Makarov which I borrowed from my local library.

One thing occurred to me this week. Shouldn't her name be Makarova rather than Makarov?

Also, I might have missed it, but Tsar Vladimir doesn't ever seem to be referred to as Makarov, but presumably that is his name given he is her father.

It's not usual to refer to dynastic rulers by their full names - when was the last time you heard someone talk about Elizabeth Windsor?  Then again, nobody talks about Charles Windsor either...

IndigoPrime

Too Cool To Kill also omits a lot of the commentary balloons (the 'historical' references), doesn't it?

Magnetica

Quote from: sheridan on 04 June, 2017, 12:22:22 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on 04 June, 2017, 08:33:21 AM

It's not usual to refer to dynastic rulers by their full names - when was the last time you heard someone talk about Elizabeth Windsor?  Then again, nobody talks about Charles Windsor either...

Ok fair enough on Vladimir. Still not sure about Jena and the Makarov v Makarova ( as in "a" ending for daughter of).

The Adventurer

Quote from: Mute77 on 04 June, 2017, 08:18:41 AM
I feel that the dante series may have benefitted from book numbering because i find it a bit confusing with the different prints and repackaging. Id love to see an omnibus  edition or series of hardbacks though.

I don't know about the S&S editions, but the DC And Rebellion volumes all have spine numberings.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

JUDGE ALFISH

I also just read "To Cool to Kill" and very much enjoyed it but must confess to finding the idea of 10 more a bit daunting. Also though, what was with the Charlie Adlard section? It looked like a photocopy of a photocopy...

Southstreeter

Annoyingly, the edition that takes us through to the end (the numbered purple spines) is currently only available from vol 6 (Hell and High Water) onwards, and the latest reprint (with character pics on the spines) seems to have stalled at vol 3 (Love and War), meaning both Tsar Wars volumes (4 and 5) are out of print. I eventually located vol 5 in a comic shop after much searching online, but vol 4 has eluded me - I finally cracked and bought the digital version, as my reread had been thwarted for months by then.

The whole saga is ripe for a reprint in mega volumes, grouped a bit more sensibly than they have this far:
1. Up to the outbreak of war
2. The war
3. Pirate Dante
4. In the employ of the Tsar
5. The revolutions (both of them) and conclusion

Zenith 666

A modern masterpiece that deserves to be collected as deluxe hardbacks.I would buy them all in the morning.

Klegg Bait

I've been interested in them for a year or so.  The out of print status of some of the books has kept me from checking them out.