Main Menu

Cursed Earth

Started by Uzi_S, 31 January, 2011, 10:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uzi_S

After playing through Fallout New Vegas and the games take on historic peoples and events, I couldn't help but think about the Cursed Earth stories and how 2000 AD does this sort of thing as far as interesting characters, locales and so on goes so much better. I always had the feeling that I wished it were so much more while playing through.

It got me to thinking... I would love to see a game based on the cursed Earth and its people, it doesn't have to have Dredd or the Megs but rather the culture and vibrant characters.

Would anyone else be keen on something along these lines or am I the only one? :)

Something along the lines of Fallout/Rage with the good 'ole 2000 AD/Dredd flavour.

John Caliber

I think that existing post-apocalyptic games already do such a good job of capturing the Cursed Earth vibe (bettering it in some cases) that a Judge Dredd version would be a late-comer to the party, a case of 'been there, done that ... twenty times already'.
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

Colin YNWA

There was of course a 'Cursed Earth' game that started in Prog 75

http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=prog&page=profiles&choice=75

Not at all the try of thing that you're talking about I guess but still nice to know.

Keef Monkey

I also find in Fallout that I slip into the Cursed Earth mindset, and my character is always a Cursed Earth Koburn type. I wouldn't say no to an actual Cursed Earth game, but yeah, I think New Vegas does a good enough job that we don't really need one. As much as I enjoy Rebellion's games (I for one think they did a fantastic job with AvP and Rogue Trooper) to making such a sprawling, branching open experience might be beyond their means. Not talent-wise, just in terms of man-hours and even just the QA that must go into such a large project, I get the impression they're a medium-sized studio.

Uzi_S

I just found FONV's story tedious and a chore to play through, the factions characteristics a bit limp and uninspired in comparison to some of those from the Cursed Earth. Still, I agree it'd be a huge task and a risky prospect.

I can but dream :(

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Uzi_S on 01 February, 2011, 09:56:22 AM
I just found FONV's story tedious and a chore to play through, the factions characteristics a bit limp and uninspired in comparison to some of those from the Cursed Earth. Still, I agree it'd be a huge task and a risky prospect.

I can but dream :(

True, don't get me wrong, in an ideal world I'd be roaming the Cursed Earth on my xbox!

FuzzChile99

What with new film due in December surely a game will be coming out, which would feature both Mega City One and Cursed Earth (and hopefully the Undercity too)it would be nice to wander around some sectors of the city and cross over the wall GTA style judging by the Rogue Trooper game I reckon that'll be possible , I really hope Rebellion are in the process of making such a game.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: FuzzChile99 on 03 February, 2011, 02:50:09 PM
What with new film due in December surely a game will be coming out,

There's no word on anything like that in-development which I suspect if there was we'd know about it by now.

exilewood

Dredd & MC-1 is crying out for a GTA style free roaming game. It would be potentially the greatest game ever. Ain't holding my breath though.

FuzzChile99

Hope the movies a success just so this game will come out , seems logical that such a product should exist The games missions could based upon early Dredd stories prior to Judge Deaths appearence (i'm sure there saving him and the Dark Judges for a sequel..then again who knows )They could never cover the whole of Mega City but perhaps a section of the city close to the wall , maybe there could even be a few Lunar one missions ..But yeah guess we would of heard by now about game , seemed a long time before the announcement of Rogue Trooper game and the release so a game may be a long way off .

Mudcrab

Would be nice but as said above, a bit late. I'd love to see more from Rebellion though, perhaps a 3rd person HACK n slash with a certain Gene. Alternate stages using Clara? Co-op? Mmm, yep, that'd be great.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

FuzzChile99

Maybe Rebellion are busy with Battlefront 3 (would be cool if they incorparated a few things from those games into Dreddverse but amp up the violence)

Woolly

Quote from: exilewood on 03 February, 2011, 02:56:57 PM
Dredd & MC-1 is crying out for a GTA style free roaming game. It would be potentially the greatest game ever. Ain't holding my breath though.

Your right, but sadly the cost of developing an engine that will do the job convincingly enough (or even paying for the rights to use one) would probably eclipse the cost of making the movie!

The movie would have to do phenomenally well to generate that kind of interest, shame really  :(

Bat King

I don't play this kind of game much. But if it was 2000AD related I'd be tempted. A game set in Dredd would get more of my interest. A game in Cursed Earth would get lots of my interest.

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex