Main Menu

Unbelievable!

Started by Darryl, 24 February, 2005, 03:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Andy

the one shaftsbury avenue seems to be alright. The huge downstairs section is dedicated to print. They've even got the Big Finish Audio Dramas for sale.

However the local comic shop near Putney bridge (don't know what its called) has staffing problems - ie they're stupid, fat fuckers.

Tordelbach

Ah, FP  Denmark Street!  For years the Holy Grail of my young imagination, when I finally made it there on a family holiday to London, aged 13-or-so, it did NOT disappoint, wedged in between guitar shops, all narrow and musty.  

My poor father obviously had subtly different memories of this specific part of London, as he seemed so perturbed by my stated destination that he actually gave me money for a taxi (first and still the only time !) on condition that I go straight there and straight back...

Megadeth

Before i came to uni in Canterbury i bought all my comics at FP in Leeds and a most horrible place it was!

Now in Canterbury there is the choice of two shops, my regular one being Whatever Comics. After FP it is such a strange experience to have staff who are not only helpful but that you can actually chat to!!!

Dunk!

My old home town Canterbury had the strange honour, for a small cathedral town, of supporting 3 comics shops at one point. None to 3 in a year. Whatever Comics run by Manny, Incognito Comics run by Dave, and Siegi's Comics run by the minor legend that was Siegi Longman(RIP) It was a golden age of wasted wages, back when i was a young art student.

Coming from Leamington I haven't been tempted to stop of at Coventry, as the saying goes round here 'Fuck that' but always go on to Brum and get my fix at Nostalgia. They're a pleasant enough bunch when you get to be a regular and sure beat the Goth party overspill that is the local FP. If the staff can wrench themselves away from talking about last nights exploits long enough to acknowledge you, let alone serve you, you're a lucky individual.

Ah good old FP Denmark St. I wasted many a trip to London just hanging out in that musty old dump. Still have a souvenir Brian Bolland bag. The new soulless Athen style FP superstore on Shaftsbury Avenue is just awful. Head down Charing Cross Road and go to Comics Showcase - much better.
"Trust we"

Eric Plumrose

Nostalgia and Comics used to be fantastic. I'd always work my way to that far left corner last, hoping there'd be some 2000AD-related bargains. Back then, Virgin had its own comic department, that, and all those Readers' World bookshops scattered around, too. Even the bloody flea market had a couple of stalls hidden amongst the clothes and TVs.

And FP in Manhattan is pretty shite, also. 'Please leave your bag at the door, sir.'
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Richmond Clements

Don't think Dark Horizons was ever gonna be much of a competition for Talisman/FP.

I find it more interesting that the place mysteriously burnt down weeks before the builders came in to knock the whole place down to build that new hypermall thing.

There is a small somic shop, and I mean small, about the size of a bathroom, in Corn Market. But it seems to be exclusively populated by young people playing some card game or another.

Mikey

Where's the one in Corn Market rac?Can't say I've noticed it...

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Richmond Clements

It's just inside the entrance closest to where FP used to be.
Or, go in the main entrance and turn right, it's at the end of that corridor.

Satanist

"And FP in Manhattan is pretty shite, also. 'Please leave your bag at the door, sir.'"

I was shocked at how poor Manhattans FP was. Mind you Midtown Comics has to be the best I've ever been in.

In Glasgow we have about 6 comic shops to choose from,some good some not.

The thing I hate about FP is that you could swap the staff with a shoe shops and they would be just as knowledgeable, if not more so.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Byron Virgo

"Now in Canterbury there is the choice of two shops, my regular one being Whatever Comics. After FP it is such a strange experience to have staff who are not only helpful but that you can actually chat to!!!"

Ah, Whatever Comics! Definitely the best comic shop I've been to, in terms of the friendliness of the staff. I forget the ladie's name, but the middle aged woman who used to work there most of the time was really nice, and very helpful, she even sold us replica firearms (for legitimate purposes, I assure you).

Bico

That'll be Impulse.  Just look for the big sign above the shop with "Impulse" on it.
It's not just card games, either.  the owner once took his entire pc into work just play one of those 'wander about and slash things a bit' rpg things - Everquest I think.  And don't bother asking about British comics - they don't stock them because the size is all wrong for the little boxes they keep American comics in, so no 2000ad.

House of Usher

"he told me they were in the back 'with the other mainstream stuff'! "

But that comment doesn't even make sense! And this coming as it does from 'Star Trek/Buffy-obsessed retards' ??!

I didn't think you could get more mainstream than Star Trek and Buffy, and I thought that half the snobbery about graphic novels was due to the fact that they're supposed to be quality, thoughtful, literary stuff as opposed to the 'mainstream' superhero shite that most of us fanboys are supposed to drool over.
STRIKE !!!

dweezil2

My nearest comic shop's are in Canterbury. Let's hope that FP doesn't decide to open a branch there, and absorb these two great bastions of comicdom.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Adrian Bamforth

"Comics run by the minor legend that was Siegi Longman(RIP)"

Ah, I didn't know he was deceased, though he was obese so I guess there's a lesson there. I didn't go there often but it was always quite painful watching him try to squeeze between the rows of boxes.

What year were you studying at the art College then Swimini? I ask because I was there from 1990-1992.

ADE
http://us.tv1.yimg.com/tv.yahoo.com/images/he/photo/tv_pix/fox/the_simpsons/hank_azaria/char_comicbook.jpg">

Dunk!

There was a letter in Comics international a few months back announcing poor Siegi's passing. He was on the rotund size, but he seemed like a nice bloke and did love his comics. Comic Book Guy is him to a tee, but without the food stains on the T-shirt.

My time at the Art college was around 88-91. Spent a number of years dosing at the Six Form College next door, but using the Bar, and then one fruitless year doing foundation before Brighton Uni said No. Bastards.
"Trust we"