Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

I can't pass the Geese in Taylor Park without feeling like i'm living the kitchen scene from Jurassic Park.

Bloody snappy cunt birds.

von Boom

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 16 August, 2019, 03:50:31 PM
I can't pass the Geese in Taylor Park without feeling like i'm living the kitchen scene from Jurassic Park.

Bloody snappy cunt birds.
Canada Geese? Dreadful birds. I don't think anyone would object to reducing their numbers.

sheridan

Quote from: von Boom on 16 August, 2019, 05:27:00 PM
Canada Geese? Dreadful birds. I don't think anyone would object to reducing their numbers.

Thin out their numbers!

M.I.K.

I was going to make an observation that wildlife in a rural setting always seems to be far more timid than in an urban one, but then remembered that's 'cos there's a higher proportion of folk in the countryside that are likely to 'reduce their numbers'.

The Legendary Shark

Lynne Kelly on Memory Palaces, Ancient and Modern.

QuoteMemory takes different forms. Memories can be encoded in the strength of neural connections in our brains, but there's a sense in which photographs and written records are memories as well. What did people do before such forms of memory even existed? Lynne Kelly is a science writer and researcher who specializes in forms of memory in the ancient world, as well as a competitive memory expert in her own right. She has theorized that ancient structures such as Stonehenge might have served as memory palaces, encoding social knowledge over extended periods of time. We talk about how to improve your own memory, the origin of religion, and how prehistoric cultures preserved their know-how.

I reckon all you archaeological types will enjoy this - but I can't remember why...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

I have a passing recollection of writing / the printing press being objected to on the grounds that it was likely to have an impact on our ability to remember things.  I just can't quite put my finger on where I came across it though.

Sorry, what were we talking about?

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Tjm86 on 20 August, 2019, 01:34:09 PM
I have a passing recollection of writing / the printing press being objected to on the grounds that it was likely to have an impact on our ability to remember things.  I just can't quite put my finger on where I came across it though.

Sorry, what were we talking about?

I've heard that one too; about writing I'm pretty sure.  Probably Q.I. - most things I know come from there.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Quote from: sheridan on 25 August, 2019, 11:14:32 AM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 August, 2019, 02:35:32 PM

They mention that in the podcast.

No Such Thing as a Fish?

My 3rd favourite podcast (after spacespinner & MCBC, of course). I especially like Czinsk ... Chezins...Ceczs...the female one.

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 25 August, 2019, 01:47:33 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 25 August, 2019, 11:14:32 AM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 August, 2019, 02:35:32 PM

They mention that in the podcast.

No Such Thing as a Fish?

My 3rd favourite podcast (after spacespinner & MCBC, of course). I especially like Czinsk ... Chezins...Ceczs...the female one.

Anna Ptaszynski - though I'm going to have to have that in front of me next time I listen, as it isn't pronounced how I'd have thought (or spelt how I'd have guessed from hearing it).

Dandontdare

yeah, I did look her up once to check the spelling and was surprised by that rogue 'P' - the most surprised I've been about a name-spelling since the last time I met an Irishwoman (they're just taking the piss  :lol:).

Puts me in mind of THIS

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dandontdare on 26 August, 2019, 12:08:56 AM
yeah, I did look her up once to check the spelling and was surprised by that rogue 'P' - the most surprised I've been about a name-spelling since the last time I met an Irishwoman (they're just taking the piss  :lol:).
]

Racist.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]