Main Menu

It Shoulda Ended with...

Started by Link Prime, 13 August, 2019, 04:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Quote from: Mardroid on 24 August, 2019, 01:14:04 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 20 August, 2019, 09:28:06 PM
Quote from: Mister Pops on 14 August, 2019, 05:06:57 PMRocky and Predator have been mentioned already. I would add [spoiler]The Matrix[/spoiler], Rambo and Ghostbusters.

It's your day, Pops, Matrix 4 got the greenlight.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/matrix-4-keanu-reeves-carrie-anne-moss-lana-wachowski-1203307955/

Didn't [spoiler]Carrie Anne-Moss's character die, in the third film? Then again, in a world where sentient computer programs also exist, there are ways around that.[/spoiler]

I always viewed it like this: the only way we can accept that Neo has magical powers (i.e. the ability to switch off machines just by thinking about it) is if he's in a simulation.  So, it's layer-caked, like Inception: when Neo first awakes in his gloop-pod, all we've done is shift to a different onion layer.

Cakes, onion, gloop: anyone hungry?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

GrudgeJohnDeed

Quote from: Mardroid on 24 August, 2019, 01:11:35 PM
In the book they're called 'androids' but they are biological in nature like the replicants of the film. I vaguely remember a scene in the book with an android character having something in his arm suggesting they may have cybernetic components, but they are predominantly flesh and blood. The voigtt kampff (probably misspelled) test is the main method used to detect them, just as in the film.

Interestingly, a bone marrow test is also mentioned as providing definitive proof suggesting some differences at the cellular level, although why an ordinary DNA test wouldn't work, I don't know. I'm just guessing not so much about DNA was known during the period the author wrote the novel. To do that test would require capturing the suspect and taking them to a lab, however, so they go with the portable VK kit.

Cyborgs eh! Interesting about the bone marrow thing too, I agree it definitely suggests that DNA knowledge wasn't widespread doesn't it. This thread has shot the book up to the top of the to-buy list!

Link Prime

sheridan

Quote from: GrudgeJohnDeed on 24 August, 2019, 08:40:05 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 24 August, 2019, 01:11:35 PM
In the book they're called 'androids' but they are biological in nature like the replicants of the film. I vaguely remember a scene in the book with an android character having something in his arm suggesting they may have cybernetic components, but they are predominantly flesh and blood. The voigtt kampff (probably misspelled) test is the main method used to detect them, just as in the film.

Interestingly, a bone marrow test is also mentioned as providing definitive proof suggesting some differences at the cellular level, although why an ordinary DNA test wouldn't work, I don't know. I'm just guessing not so much about DNA was known during the period the author wrote the novel. To do that test would require capturing the suspect and taking them to a lab, however, so they go with the portable VK kit.

Cyborgs eh! Interesting about the bone marrow thing too, I agree it definitely suggests that DNA knowledge wasn't widespread doesn't it. This thread has shot the book up to the top of the to-buy list!

Our cat (well, Rackle's) had bloods taken today.  We have to wait until tomorrow to find out what the results are.  If there was a Voight-Katt test then it would have taken half an hour and we'd have known this morning!

(I'm writing this after midnight, so substitute today for yesterday and tomorrow for today).