Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Godpleton

I drink a bottle of champagne every year to celebrate her glorious achievements.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

TordelBack

QuoteWhat if the only thing keeping Margaret Thatcher alive is the champagne I'm keeping on ice for when she snuffs it, working like some sort of magic talisman?

I reckon all that keeps her going is the fear that Elvis Costello will make a pile of royalties from airplay of Tramp the Dirt Down. 

Odd_Bloke

Given that I was only alive for the last two and a half years of Baroness Thatcher's prime ministership, I have no real opinion of her.

Buttonman

I imagine Elvis Costello has done pretty well out of Thatcherism as have many of his sabre rattling pals.

Similar to millionaire Michael Moore who was on Jay leno's show decrying capitalism in support of his new film. Leno touched on the possibly hypocracy and Moore answered 'Oh we're putting on some free showings in depressed areas' - problem solved!

No problem in talented people doing well but I can't take them bitching about the people and systems who put them in their mansions.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Buttonman on 22 September, 2009, 11:47:14 PM
I imagine Elvis Costello has done pretty well out of Thatcherism as have many of his sabre rattling pals.

Similar to millionaire Michael Moore who was on Jay leno's show decrying capitalism in support of his new film. Leno touched on the possibly hypocracy and Moore answered 'Oh we're putting on some free showings in depressed areas' - problem solved!

No problem in talented people doing well but I can't take them bitching about the people and systems who put them in their mansions.

Micheal Moore is just an extreme hypocrite and i am not even going to start on him.

Multi-multi-multi-millionaire anti-capitalist hypocrite Liberal.

As far as i am concerned the only thing he should do with his mouth when he opens it is to shove more pies into it.

Its good that has an extreme obesity problem because it means that he will die sooner rather than later.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

TordelBack

Damnit BM, you're right!  Far better political songwriters and filmmakers confine themselves to making cassettes in their garrets and live off the dole - how dare they achieve widespread recognition in the very milieux they decry!  As Christy Moore jokingly commented in a concert I was at in 1989, "Christ, I hope they don't listen to me and let the Birmingham Six out - that's half my act!".

And as for those doctors - they make a bloody good living off all this sickness they claim to be against.

House of Usher

Quote from: TordelBack on 22 September, 2009, 11:39:59 PM
I reckon all that keeps her going is the fear that Elvis Costello will make a pile of royalties from airplay of Tramp the Dirt Down.

Now THAT made me laugh.
STRIKE !!!

Buttonman

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 September, 2009, 12:08:23 AM
Damnit BM, you're right!  Far better political songwriters and filmmakers confine themselves to making cassettes in their garrets and live off the dole - how dare they achieve widespread recognition in the very milieux they decry!  As Christy Moore jokingly commented in a concert I was at in 1989, "Christ, I hope they don't listen to me and let the Birmingham Six out - that's half my act!".

And as for those doctors - they make a bloody good living off all this sickness they claim to be against.

He could, I guess, donate all of his royalties to a workers cooperative and live off the average wage of a skilled worker? Naw, I'll take the pile of cash and the unfeasable moral high ground to boot. Can't have it both ways and not be a hypocrite. Bit like Bonio lecturing the Irish government on their foreign aid policy only to have it pointed out to him by the Prime Minister that he doesn't pay any taxes. What a tosser.

Odd_Bloke

Quote from: Buttonman on 23 September, 2009, 12:22:25 AM
Bit like Bonio lecturing the Irish government on their foreign aid policy only to have it pointed out to him by the Prime Minister that he doesn't pay any taxes. What a tosser.

Does his not paying taxes make his point any less valid?

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

TordelBack

QuoteDoes his not paying taxes make his point any less valid?

If we're waiting for the non-hypocrites to appear and show us the way, we'll be waiting a while.  Best to get on with it.

Odd_Bloke

TordelBack

Buttonman

Yes it does - if he's not contributing why should he have a say in its allocation? It's not even as if he's paying the going rate somewhere else what with his off shore corporations. How many stupid hats does he need?

No taxation without representation goes both ways, self rightious prick - him not you.

Odd_Bloke

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 September, 2009, 12:38:21 AM
Quote from: Odd_Bloke on 23 September, 2009, 12:35:14 AM
Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 23 September, 2009, 12:32:50 AM
I think you three should all make out.

Define 'you three'.   :-\

Don't define 'make out'.

Touché.

Wait, don't do that either.

Quote from: Buttonman on 23 September, 2009, 12:38:48 AM
Yes it does - if he's not contributing why should he have a say in its allocation? It's not even as if he's paying the going rate somewhere else what with his off shore corporations. How many stupid hats does he need?

No taxation without representation goes both ways, self rightious prick - him not you.

Well, 'no taxation without representation' normally refers to being taxed without having a representative in the legislature that sets the taxes.  He doesn't have a say in its allocation through the legislature, merely by the force of his argument.  And surely if his arguments are solid, it shouldn't matter whether he is Irish or not, let alone whether he pays Irish taxes or not, those arguments should be put to the Irish government.

On the other hand, I suppose you can be right and a tosser.  :P