Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

... When you've been at BICS for about two hours and you get a text telling you there's a family emergency and you need to drop everything and come home.

Apologies to -- well, everyone, really!

Bah!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

QuoteFrivolous expenditure has been kept to a minimum, but we're still spending more than we're earning.

An awful realisation, that.  Can feel like you're slipping backwards. Your situation sounds horribly like that of nearly all my academia-based friends, people who despite working like bastards earn so little that the government invariably owes them money at year's end.

Like you were saying earlier, in the absence of any real career structure (all over) what is usually presented as a life progression towards comfortable seniority has now become an endless series of snakes and ladders.  Looking at our own finances for September, our mortgage payments alone were twice our net income.  This is a short-mid-term thing, because the wife's on unpaid maternity leave, and I can't afford to pay myself until cashflow improves (which please grud it should by December), but it still means it's impossible to ever save or invest or whatever it is the cool kids do - you're just putting money away one month against the likelihood that there won't be any next month.  OTOH, the very variability of work circumstances means that change should be in your favour one day, as long as you keep plugging away. 

(hard to be pessimistic when i'm cuddling my daughter as i type!)

Jim_Campbell

Fucking cock.

This had bloody well better be something serious, I had thought to myself on the way back home.

Well, it wasn't. In fact it was all pretty much sorted by the time I got back to Nottingham.

"Oh, you didn't have to drop everything and come back ..."

Then why the fuck did you tell me to drop everything and come back? For fuck's sake! And did anyone want to compensate me for the £100 I'm not out of pocket? Strangely, no.

Gaah!

Jim

Mike Gloady

Jim, sounds shite.  Sympathy on the whole nasty situation.  Take care.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 03 October, 2009, 08:51:09 PM
Jim, sounds shite.  Sympathy on the whole nasty situation.  Take care.

Thanks, Mike. It's just annoying more than anything else. Wolf. Cry. Not falling for that again. Fuckin' deal with it, or shut up!

Did get to say hello to Bolt, RAC, Watcher and Kevlev from this parish during my brief attendance, though. What a lovely collection of chaps!

Noisybast

Would a free Mott The Hoople ticket help at all, Jim...?
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Noisybast on 04 October, 2009, 02:24:10 AM
Would a free Mott The Hoople ticket help at all, Jim...?

Thank you -- genuinely -- for the thought, NB, but not my cup of tea ...

Cheers!

Jim

Mike Gloady

House of Usher

...unless he is, and that's why Mott the Hoople isn't his cup of tea! Most of the people I know who'd want to see Mott the Hoople are, er, old dudes.

;)
STRIKE !!!

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Mike Gloady

I turned 35 today, not sure if that's nearly-old or sort-of-young(ish-ISH).  

Bowie is very MUCH my thing.  Mott the Hoople?  No.  Weren't they going to break up and Bowie didn't like that idea so wrote that song and "gave" them a hit to keep his mates in the game?  

Proof that charity can be misguided sometimes....

I, Cosh

According to yesterday's Guardian, the lead singer of Mott the Hoople is 70!
We never really die.

House of Usher

35 is sort of young-ish. Nobody under 40 is middle aged. And gin goes okay with salsa - in fact, I sometimes cook with gin when we have fajitas. You just don't want to go getting tonic water in it. Fajitas with gin goes back to the Christmas I got olive oil with junipers in it.
STRIKE !!!

Roger Godpleton

Most of the actual spilt quantity went on the carpet and it was "mixed" with bitter lemon so it made no difference to the taste of the salsa.

One of the tortilla chips I was using to scoop said salsa dip broke under the weight of the dip and it went on the carpet. This has somewhat impeded my enjoyment of Richard Dawkins on C4 RIGHT NOW.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

House of Usher

RIGHT NOW watching Richard Dawkins on Channel 4. Hadn't otherwise thought about turning the TV on all day.
STRIKE !!!