Main Menu

Bioshock!

Started by Pete Wells, 28 August, 2007, 04:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

The Darkness was also great, and that was another instance where I felt totally immersed in the atmosphere and attached to the characters. But Bioshock has maybe blown me away that little bit more. Once all the hype's died down and I revisit the games in a few month's time I'll maybe be less enthusiastic about Bioshock but for the moment I'm in "rapture" with it. Ho ho!

Pete Wells

Well I for one loved it. One thing puzzles me though, again this is a MASSIVE SPOILER so skip this and subsequent posts if you haven't finished the game...

Ok? My question is, why did Ryan want you to kill him? Was it because he'd set Rapture to self destruct or was there another reason? It just seemed a bit random, and bloody 'orrible!

Artificial Idiot

SPOILERS:

A lot of people seem to think that Ryan wanted you to kill him to prove he had a choice, and was a MAN. Nobody was going to take anything from him, he was going to be the archietect of his own downfall. I, on the other hand, think he's being a sneaky begger - If you pick up one of the audio diaries, it notes that the Vita-chambers that so very often bring you back to life are atuned to Ryan's own spefific genetic code - So I'm wondering, did he throw himself onto the sword so he could creep back later when the whole Fontaine thing died down?

Keef Monkey

MASSIVE SPOILER SPLURGE

That Vita Chamber theory is my favourite, hadn't thought of that. By the game's own logic he must still be alive. There was another diary that mentioned only his dna could use the bathyspheres  so it put the niggling suspicion in your mind that you were related to him but didn't overplay it so that the penny dropped too soon, was very well done. Playing it through again for the achievements and can't believe I didn't pick up on Atlas' wee catchphrase.

Pete Wells

Artificial Idiot wrote "did he throw himself onto the sword so he could creep back later when the whole Fontaine thing died down?

Aaahhh, I hadn't thought of that! Thanks AI, that's cool!

Artificial Idiot

Yet more spoilers, probably

I'm hoping they do go with the vita chamber theory, if they do indeed want to make Bioshock into a franchise (they're *already* talking about number two, and releasing one every two years!), I'd like to see more Ryan... And it'd just seem to be a bit of a plothole to me if he was dead.  

Roger Godpleton

SPOILERS ETC.

I think you're almost certainly Ryan's son. On the "Would you kindly" mural Ryan's face is joined to that stripper he was boffing. When you see her ghost she hints that she hasn't seen Ryan for a while, so presumably Fontaine paid her to be impregnated by Ryan so that you can share his DNA in order to take advantage of the Vita Chamber's. My guess then is that Ryan lets you kill him as he's banking on you turning on Atlas, which would explain why he gives you a sermon on choice in order to provoke you into making your own choices, such as offing the guy who took choice away from you BEFORE YOU WERE EVEN BORN.

A further possibility this throws up is that Tenenbaum is in on the joke with Ryan for the whole time. It's hinted that Fontaine became Tenenbaum's lover in order to get the perfect angle, and at some stage this relationship must have turned sour. Even if this isn't the case, I don't think it's likely she wouldn't have tried to come up with some sort of failsafe against Fontaine's commands, however I don't think she's stable enough to outwit Fontaine on her own so she would of gone to Ryan for help. Maybe Sander Cohen has something to do with this plan? After all Ryan "left" Fort Frolic to Cohen, perhaps with instructions not to kill the shit out of you as soon as you come calling? After all Cohen does trap us in that metro centre with the giant rabbit mask, maybe this is some sort of trigger?

Hhm, I think I like this game a little more than I let on.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Artificial Idiot

Still spoiling everything....

Some interesting points up there, although you most definatly *are* Ryan's son - Cause at one point Fontain says as much (he seems to have a random set of taunts for when he's stopping your heart, as I seemed to get different one's on every save.) and when Jasmine (the stripper) is being murdered in ghost-form (or is it in the audio diary under her bed?) she does say something along the lines of 'I didn't know Fontain was involved...' The bit about Ryan sounds pretty reasonable to me, and certaintly in character - I still reckon he's weasled out of death though.

As for the second paragraph - I don't think Cohen had anything to do with it, if only because I do  think he's genuinely insane and completely unstable, and most certaintly liable to just 'let you go'. Still, that's what's great about the game - It's all very possible!

Artificial Idiot

Urgh, I seem to be constantly knocking the E off Fontaine's name...

Noisybast

Yay me! Finally finished it. Now to start working on the *other* ending... :D
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Roger Godpleton

S P O I L E R S

Just had another thought today. I'm guessing that Ryan didn't kill Jasmine purely out of rage, as that isn't his style. It's mentioned by McDonough(?) that the ghosts are a side effect of all the splicing going on, and Ryan was the first to work this out. Maybe he figured that such a powerful event would trigger the ghosties, especially as Fontaine had you wired to think about your parents.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Artificial Idiot

Yet more Spoilering...

I dunno, by all the 'trophies' arrayed on his wall - Ryan is certaintly no stranger to disposing of those who've 'wronged' him. Remember the woman he had that detective bloke kill just because she wrote a few dodgy lyrics regarding him? I don't think it's too far fetched to believe he killed out of rage/because of what Jasmine had done (birthing you and all) but then... It is a lot more fun to think of Ryan as a sneakier begger than he was (seemingly) portrayed. So I like that theory! :)