Main Menu

Van Helsing....

Started by Buddy, 05 May, 2004, 07:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Just back from a press screening...

Really enjoyed it, read some really poor reviews and wonder if I was watching the same film.

Effects were (at times) breathtaking & if nothing else just watching Kate Beckinsale run about in a tight outfit for two hours is enough for me!!

VampiraJen

phew....

i quite fancied it actually.  it's not cheesy is it?  coz i know they do all that vampire thing in it, and there's a fine line between good and cheesy with that stuff...

Art

if nothing else just watching Kate Beckinsale run about in a tight outfit for two hours is enough for me!!

Yeah, but I saw Underworld for free and still felt ripped off, so that isn't necessarily always true.

House of Usher

A SPOILERS warning might have been welcome here. I'll read over this thread after I've seen the movie.  ;)
STRIKE !!!

Buddy

No spoilers warning 'caus no spoilers revealed.

Next time I'll be sure to state CONTAINS SPOILERS or CONTAINS NO SPOILERS.

As for cheesy, it had its moments.

Stoonami

Phew! So Van Helsing may not be quite the turkey it was being trussed up to be.

I've read about seven online reviews completely panning the film - one compared Richard Roxburgh's interpretation of Dracula as being on a par with the main bad vamp from Underworld (anyone who's seen it will know that particular actor gave an oak tree a run for its money in the wooden performances).

I watched the three Van Helsing documentaries on the Universal Studios Monster Legacy DVD boxset, and it does come across that Stephen Sommers does have a love for the original monster characters. He even promises to have a new spin on some of the concepts... but then these docs are usually nowt more than extended trailers.

Still, can't be any worse than Underworld...

Stu Taylor

Link: stutaylorsflakjacket.blogspot.com

Buddy

Havn't seen Underworld but have to say it's not the most frightening Dracula I've seen on film (or anywhere else for that matter).

Stoonami

Going by the clips I've seen, it looks like Roxburgh's going for 'Camp' Dracula.

Oh, and unless you are happy to waste two hours of your life, leave Underworld well enough alone. Not even Beckinsale in leather/PVC makes it worth your while.

Although, it was (unintentionally) funny when you could predict what cliched dialogue would come up next!

Stu Taylor

Link: www.stutaylorsflakjacket.blogspot.com

Mr D

I don't know, I thought the 'jumping off buildings into a walk' part was good. And KB is great.

Stoonami

Yeah, KB was okay, and the jumping off buildings thing was nicely pulled off. In fact, the first 10 minutes wasn't too bad - hell, the concept itself was okay on paper...

...but I've just remembered the fur-less werewolves! The shaved gorilla look was a bit naff! Still, nobody has the same tastes.

dweezil2

Must be honest, i havn't seen the film yet, but the trailer made it look shite. it appeared to be nothing more than a patchwork of mythical and literary characters tied together with a flimsy 'hero saves the girl' plot. And the fact that Steven Sommers directed it hardly inspires optimism- the guy makes Paul Anderson look like Kubrick! Still, i could be wrong.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Tex Hex

Gaaah! Paul Anderson! I just saw the trailer for alien vs predator and it looks grim...

Tiplodocus

Am I the only person in the world that liked SOLDIER then?

And Paul Anderson's other films are pretty good. Boogie Nights. Magnolia. Oh, hang on...
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tex Hex

I thought soldier was ok, but like most of his stuff it would get a "must try harder" stamp. In my opinion anyway.  AvP looks like Resident evil with aliens and predators instead of zombies.

hex

Steamboy

been said befor, I'll say it again, pait Kurt russel blue, give him a mohawk and we'd of been looking at a Rogue Trooper movie in Soldier.

CU Krestel, nothing to add about Van Hellsing as I haven't seen it yet.