Main Menu

2000AD Uncensored hardback

Started by matty_ae, 12 July, 2018, 10:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matty_ae

I know except for the coloured Halo Jones my suggestions are largely crap but this is the motherland.

A spiritual successor to Judge Dredd: Cursed Earth Uncensored, this would feature the outrageous and in some case libellous first offerings by writers/artists that the IPC censors requested changes to.

So it would include:

Judge Dredd: Bank Raid by Carlos Equerra with all the hotshot violence re-instated
Judge Dredd: Courtroom by Rufus Dayglo re-drawn for the Class of 79 unless you could get Carlos or Mick to have a go
Tharg's Head Revisited #1: Bloodsuckers by Mick Mahon (reprinted already in Judge Dredd The Mega-History
Tharg's Head Revisited #2: Tharg on a pitchfork by Brian Bolland with the original art and wording re-instated from 1988 Dredd Annual.
Judge Dredd: City of the Damned: Steve Dillons missing pages for prog 404 reprinted in 620.
What a difference an inch makes: How Eagle comics put an extra inch into Brian Bolland artwork to reprint the Judge Death Lives artwork at American sizes (it is funny how they did it)
Uncle Baal's chair and other filth - how the blood was tippexed out of Nemesis the Warlock
Judge Anderson Wolf in a sheep's clothes - a comparison of how the title page should have looked before speech bubbles were added.
Judge Dredd Fortnightly - a completely re-instated version of how the first issue would have looked with:
Anderson - Judge Death Revenge (unchanged)
B.A.D Company by Ezquerra
Blockers
Soul of a Judge/Blood Cadet - already started by Ian Gibson (?)
Helltrekkers
Alan Moore's Dredd script (Badlanders? reprinted in Millidge / Story teller)
Frank Millers 2000ad/ Dredd cover
And also the first stories by significant creators in Lawman of the Future (Simon Fraser, Alex Ronald and Dylan Teague including the alternate Death storyline which was pretty cool - Robbie Morrison)
Add in some fun salacious covers and I'd buy it.

Max Headroom

Dark Jimbo

A great idea, but it's awfully Dredd-centric! How about the first few episodes of Rudinshtein Irregulars that were drawn by Si Fraser before John Burns drew the story instead - or the early design work and character studies done by Frazer Irving for Caballistics before Dom Reardon took the gig?
@jamesfeistdraws

sheridan

Quote from: matty_ae on 12 July, 2018, 10:21:29 PM
Uncle Baal's chair and other filth - how the blood was tippexed out of Nemesis the Warlock

How would you get the tippex off (if whoever owns the page now lets you)?

matty_ae

My idea would be to get the original creators back to re-instate their original intentions with a fun narrative.
So ask Kev O'neil to draw the blood back in.

Or get Barry Kitson to recreate how the Age of the Wolf / Anderson title page should have looked.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sheridan on 13 July, 2018, 12:58:02 PM

Bryan Talbot had high quality stats made of his originals before sending them in, and had those used for at least some of the reprints of his Nemesis work, reinstating some of the missing gore. (He had side-by-side comparisons at a Luther Arkwright signing I remember going to about a million years ago.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

Sounds like it could be a nice project for Hibernia rather than a hardback Rebellion tome.

maryanddavid

Actually working on something kind of  like what's suggested. Lots of unpublished art rather than censored, and not from 2000AD, but definitely related. Also included will be two more unpublished pages from Scream.

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 July, 2018, 01:29:32 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 13 July, 2018, 12:58:02 PM

Bryan Talbot had high quality stats made of his originals before sending them in, and had those used for at least some of the reprints of his Nemesis work, reinstating some of the missing gore. (He had side-by-side comparisons at a Luther Arkwright signing I remember going to about a million years ago.)

Would love to see those - wonder if they include the clear version of the sign on the back of the dead Terminators cart from Garden of Unearthly Delights?