Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrudgeJohnDeed

Quote from: TordelBack on 22 January, 2018, 02:15:16 PM
Yes, yes, I agree, no justification for comparing Churchill to Hitler (unless you were watching your children starve in Bengal in 1943, or dying pointlessly on a Turkish beach in 1915, when it was probably much of a muchness).

Do you agree though or is that sarcasm? If they made a film that concentrated on a short period of Hitler's life that didnt involve constant racism and megalomania, I'd be fine with that. I think that would be the like for like analogy.

But it would be naive to expect everyone else to shut up about it.

I hope you don't think I do!

Quote from: Professor Bear on 22 January, 2018, 02:45:45 PM
Food was at subsistence levels in Bengal even before the war, but Churchill took it regardless and sent it to the Middle East where it wasn't actually required.  You can't even argue that he couldn't have seen this leading to mass starvation, because it's more or less what happened with the Irish famine, added to which he also directly prevented American and Canadian aid from being delivered to India once famine was known to be affecting the region.

Whereabouts in the middle east was it sent? Wasnt a lot of it used for self-defence, to feed the army stationed in India too? They had the enemy on their border by then. I wouldnt argue he didnt know it would have led to starvation, but the war was of the utmost importance.

I've not heard about him blocking aid from other countries, that sounds bad, have you got anything I can read?

CalHab

Go, enjoy - as I used to enjoy his boyhood adventures in "The Happy Warrior" in Eagle, and recently his alternative-history role as a resistance leader in C J Sansom's Dominion.

Off topic, but Dominion was badly written tosh and, in my edition at least, had an afterword by the author on the evils of Scottish Nationalism and how the SNP are modern day Nazis. Bizarre.

Professor Bear

Quote from: GrudgeJohnDeed on 22 January, 2018, 03:04:06 PMhave you got anything I can read?

I highly recommend ReGeneration One, as it shows how the G1 Transformers story finally ends, though I also hear good things about The War Within.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Quote from: Professor Bear on 22 January, 2018, 03:17:24 PM
Quote from: GrudgeJohnDeed on 22 January, 2018, 03:04:06 PMhave you got anything I can read?

I highly recommend ReGeneration One, as it shows how the G1 Transformers story finally ends, though I also hear good things about The War Within.

:D I'm a G1 guy so I'll check it out!

TordelBack

Quote from: CalHab on 22 January, 2018, 03:13:28 PM
Off topic, but Dominion was badly written tosh and, in my edition at least, had an afterword by the author on the evils of Scottish Nationalism and how the SNP are modern day Nazis. Bizarre.

Yeah, the afterword was bizarre (albeit coming from a well-established general opposition to populist nationalism, which I share), but while I personally enjoyed the yarn a lot, I can't deny that the news that he's writing another Shardlake is much more to my liking.

Daveycandlish

Jumanji The new one.
That was thoroughly enjoyable and probably more so than the original. Definitely worth a go see.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

The Legendary Shark

It. Probably the most boring film since The Boring Adventures of Bory McBoring in the Utterly Dull Kingdom of Boredomia. Part IV.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tiplodocus

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 22 January, 2018, 06:23:43 PM
It. Probably the most boring film since The Boring Adventures of Bory McBoring in the Utterly Dull Kingdom of Boredomia. Part IV.

Oh, come On! There is a ready made scathing review template that Cosh  invented for such occasions. And there a few films that it fits sooo well. 
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

It can't be more boring than the first time I saw Derek Jarman's Blue, which, if you haven't heard of it, is just several hours of a blank blue screen.  Seriously, it was the dullest 4 hours of my fucking life.

Apropos of nothing, make sure your dvd aerial is actually plugged into the back of your tv before you watch anything experimental.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 22 January, 2018, 07:52:14 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 22 January, 2018, 06:23:43 PM

Oh, come On! There is a ready made scathing review template that Cosh  invented for such occasions. And there a few films that it fits sooo well.
IT is well and truely a HIT!

Best horror movie of 2017.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 22 January, 2018, 08:52:36 PM

There's a capital 'S' missing from that sentence, surely?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 22 January, 2018, 09:33:19 PM

Sharks where never renowned for their eye sight I see, alas nope, against all the odds as a resident King anti-fan I found myself toroighly delighted by the charm of IT. Thoroughly excellent.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I watched the second Kingsman movie. I should have just watched the first one again.

Golden Circle? More like Brown Circle!

(did I do it right?)
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 22 January, 2018, 09:40:07 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 22 January, 2018, 09:33:19 PM

Sharks where never renowned for their eye sight I see, alas nope, against all the odds as a resident King anti-fan I found myself toroighly delighted by the charm of IT. Thoroughly excellent.

Heh, I'm glad you enjoyed it, Hawkie - it just wasn't for me, I guess.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Quote from: Professor Bear on 22 January, 2018, 03:03:12 PM
  Despite my high expectations, this film was terrible.

You had high expectations? Hadn't you seen any of the others in this franchise? Looks like it's going to sweep the board at this years Razzies though.