Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Stan on 28 October, 2012, 11:31:32 PM
...she's a co-star more or less pushed as a drippy damsel in distress as far as the main trailer went.

I think we must have seen different trailers.  All I saw was her kicking seven kinds of arse.

CYCLOPZ

Having had enough time to peruse these new photos and have a think about it, I think that it was something of a mistake to hold this stuff back for so long. Knowing that these great potential promo images were sat on for so long just boggles my mind. I'm sure it wouldn't have taken a superhuman effort to release just a couple of these images many months ago.

Ah well...

radiator

I wasn't blown away by the trailer - it made the dialogue sound really cheesy (the line 'It makes time pass at 1 per cent it's normal speed' is especially clunky, and sounds even worse out of context.

The music - La Roux's In for the Kill - was poorly chosen and inappropriate - that aspect alone put off people I know. The film's actual soundtrack is great and would have served the trailer far better.

Being critical - perhaps the 'wow' moments in Dredd are unsuitable for a trailer because they're either incredibly violent, spoilery, slower paced or more subtle character beats, and that to me is why the trailer lacks punch. They heavily emphasise the slo mo, but that does a poor job of selling the film because those sequences look so much more impressive in context rather than viewed on a tiny screen on the internet.

Being an armchair director, I would have made the 'rookie thrown in the deep end' aspect the main angle of the trailer - make the 'buddy cop' element the main selling point, which would have helped to deflect the Raid comparisons. I would have also used part of Dredd's opening monologue to set the scene, as it's so perfect and has some incredible imagery such as the spaghetti junction flyover and the city walls. I would have made the specifics of the plot more vague (such as not including whopping great spoilers like "Peach Trees is the manufacturing bas for all the slo mo in Mega City One" and Dredd throwing Ma Ma through the window).

Keef Monkey

I agree with your comments about the spoilers, given that the interrogation in the film hinges on that discovery it was pretty thoughtless bunging it in the trailer. The window was a spoiler too, although the image was one of the most striking and 'Dredd' moments in the trailer.

If there was one thing in the trailer that may have put me off if my mind hadn't been made up already, it was the 'Judgement time!' line. It's the one line in the film I don't like, it doesn't make a lot of sense and sounds very, very cheesy when pulled out of context. That line is genuinely the only criticism I have of the whole film.

Keef Monkey

Just to clarify (we need an edit button so bad) I'm not a writer, and Alex Garland is a fantastic writer who did an incredible job, but to my ear something like the tagline "Judgement is coming" would have worked a treat at that moment.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 29 October, 2012, 02:27:37 PM
Just to clarify (we need an edit button so bad) I'm not a writer, and Alex Garland is a fantastic writer who did an incredible job, but to my ear something like the tagline "Judgement is coming" would have worked a treat at that moment.

Or 'You have been Judged', something like that.  It was cheesy.  I quite liked it 'cos of the groans it got from the audience.   :lol:

Stan

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 October, 2012, 01:00:49 PM
Quote from: Stan on 28 October, 2012, 11:31:32 PM
...she's a co-star more or less pushed as a drippy damsel in distress as far as the main trailer went.

I think we must have seen different trailers.  All I saw was her kicking seven kinds of arse.

There is that. She mostly appeared drippy at all other times though (to me anyway), when she clearly isn't. I mean they gave us [spoiler]Ma-Ma's swan dive[/spoiler] so a little more Anderson wouldn't have hurt.

Though I'm being picky really. I'm sure everyone has a few tweaks they'd make to the trailer, even if they enjoyed it.

COMMANDO FORCES

Are you looking forward to when the tech savvy lot have their shiny discs in Jan and we see a large amount of new trailers. I'm for one looking forward to the Goat Monster version ;)

JOE SOAP

WANT

Zarjazzer

:o That's simply incredible and the original costume on that link is a good un too. :o
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Goaty

Well, I love the film, as it is brilliant film and one of best films in many years! And I am happy to be proud of the Dredd 3D film!

And it's still awesome film!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

COMMANDO FORCES

But what about the figure Goat Monster!

Goaty

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 29 October, 2012, 07:47:27 PM
But what about the figure Goat Monster!

AND STILL NOT SEE IT!  :'( :'(

Spikes

Wowza! Some people just ooze talent, dont they. You could easily believe that was an offical figure.
Why cant 3A do summat like this? Or do they have summat like this planned?
That original costume version is pretty smart as well. Even though it has the ol' cod piece thang going on.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

All 585 pages of this thread have been worth it, just for that arsom doll.
You may quote me on that.