Main Menu

New editors, etc.

Started by Rex Gambill, 13 October, 2001, 06:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rex Gambill

I've often wondered, what qualifications must one have to be a comics editor? I know Dig-L started out as a writer, but not all comics editors write. So what background does a magazine like 2000AD look for in an editor? Does anybody know?
Rex Gambill

The Love Doctor

You proabably need the same qualifications as artists, e.g. None whatsoever, or at least only ones that dont have anything to do with the job their in. Look at Alex Ross, he's got a Degree in advertising or something, and he's one of the comics industries top arists. i guess maybe some sort of management degree or some such thing like that to be an editor.

But then again, i should really say I HAVE NO IDEA!!!!

Dominic O'Rourke

or an english degree, or arts, or theres Journalism, or the tried and trusted domain of experience
Member No. 10

Wils

In some anally-retentive circles, you might need this-or-that qualifictaion just to be 'an editor', but to get a *good* editor, you need someone who has a love and respect for the title and a want to take it to new heights. Andy, during his Thargdom, has had these in shed-loads.

To reiterate, I think that the qualities sought for an editor vary from title to title. I've heard that you can become an editor at DC Thomson by girating on grumpy men's laps in the board room,wearing nothing but a Desparate Dan mask and a tutu.

Dominic O'Rourke

but I still have fond memories of the tutu
Member No. 10

Judge Whitey

Surely the only qualifications required to become the editor of 2000 AD are:
1)To be an alien
2)Green skin
3)Telephone dial on your forehead.

W. R. Logan

Judge Whitey, what a stupid name 8-)

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.