Main Menu

A Lot of Noob Questions regarding 2000ad

Started by metalmarc, 01 June, 2016, 04:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalmarc

Okay to bring you up to speed I was a fan around 95-97, I'm feeling a bit nostalgic for that era
Thanks for your time, I have posted to the Introduction section but that was in 2012, I have been busy with work etc, but decided to come back to 2000ad for an attempted 3rd time after watching Dredd recently again  :D

Some Questions related to That period and others

1) I believe the first prog I ever read had Stallone on the cover issue 950 I think, I know I can buy Dredd case files now covering that era, is there anyway I can read other 2000ad stories from between 1995-97? I think some I remember were Rogue Trooper, Vector 13, Dexter & Sinister?  ABC Warriors Umm maybe Slaine and a few others (any collected editions of these from the 1995-1997 era? I'm only looking to re-read those two years for now , with the intention hopefully of catching up before and after thst period eventually.

2) I bought the last weeks prog on a whim and most stories I noticed are already ongoing, I was about to try and buy the Physical back issues to catch up, but noticed one or two at least are now only digital, is it worth me subbing for 3months to get some back issues? Or should I just buy the back issues separately digitally? When you sub for the 3 month digitally, if you dont renew do you still get to keep the issues you got during the time you subbed for say if I wanted to re-read them or do you lose acess when your digital sub runs out?

3) I cannot afford the full £80 right now for a Annual subs but can probably do a 3 month for now, does the Subscription price for annual ever go onsale at new year or black friday for example or does it always stay at £80

4) any reccomends for post 1997 Dredd Storylines I should read asap? The Dark Judges used to be a favourite of mine  ifvthat helps

Thank you to whoever responds or even takes the time to read.

Tjm86

Quote from: metalmarc on 01 June, 2016, 04:55:07 PM
Okay to bring you up to speed I was a fan around 95-97,

is there anyway I can read other 2000ad stories from between 1995-97?

any reccomends for post 1997 Dredd Storylines I should read asap? The Dark Judges used to be a favourite of mine  ifvthat helps

Personally I pay monthly by direct debit for the physical prog so I can't really comment on digital access.  That I'll leave to more knowledgeable minds.

I would have to say that you jumped ship at the start of the steady and inexorable climb to greatness.  The next few years saw some cracking stuff.  Might want to take advantage of the current back prog sale (50p each).  Net yourself a full year for a measly £20 odd. 

Further back than these a good eBay troll would net you a tidy haul at a decent price.  Also worth running up a few queries on the classifieds section here as there are a number of reliable purveyors of high quality proggage at prices to fit most pockets.

Last year's Dark Justice would be worth a look for your Dark Judge fix.  The shorter list of 'meh' storylines would be easier to give.  That said, Day of Chaos would be well worth a read and help bring you up to speed on probably the biggest issue to affect Dredd to date.

Dark Jimbo

4) any reccomends for post 1997 Dredd Storylines I should read asap?

Dredd Case Files 27, just released last month, covers the period from July 1997 to February 98. Case Files 28, out at the end of the year, will cover March-September 1998.

We're currently getting about three Case Files released per year. Long-term it's going to be a great way to catch up right from where you left off. In the shorter term there are bloody loads of semial stories you need to check out that I'm sure some kindly souls will shortly point you towards...
@jamesfeistdraws

Dandontdare

When it comes to info and lists about what stories appeared when, who created them and what collections were published, there are two invaulable resources: BARNEY and Touched by the Hand of Tharg. This Wiki list and it's sub-lists may also be helpful.

radiator

Ha! 949 was my first issue, 950 was my second. Remember that Stallone cover vividly....

2) I bought the last weeks prog on a whim and most stories I noticed are already ongoing, I was about to try and buy the Physical back issues to catch up, but noticed one or two at least are now only digital, is it worth me subbing for 3months to get some back issues? Or should I just buy the back issues separately digitally? When you sub for the 3 month digitally, if you dont renew do you still get to keep the issues you got during the time you subbed for say if I wanted to re-read them or do you lose acess when your digital sub runs out?

3) I cannot afford the full £80 right now for a Annual subs but can probably do a 3 month for now, does the Subscription price for annual ever go onsale at new year or black friday for example or does it always stay at £80

I believe there is currently a big sale on digital back issues via the 2000ad app. loads and loads of progs and megazines going for 50p - that seems like a great way to catch up with the last few years.

Molch-R

Quote from: radiator on 01 June, 2016, 06:21:32 PM
I believe there is currently a big sale on digital back issues via the 2000ad app

Sorry, the sale is only for physical editions from the webshop http://shop.2000adonline.com/cheap_thrills

metalmarc

Wow thanks for the replies everyone, and wow i just saw the sale when i came home from work, i think i just ordered about 50 physical back issues of the megazine haha

I think i came in at the right time today wow

Colin YNWA

Yeah that was some good timing.

As for getting progs if you are patient you can normally get some pretty astonishing deals in e-mail. A good few years back now I filled my wilderness years and doubt I paid more than 45p (inc postage) for almost all progs. Typically bought in blocks of 100 as they came up.

That said just blast the sale its pretty incredible!

TordelBack

Welcome back, metalmarc. Can't help you with Rogue Trooper of that era because It Never Happened, but the rather good Slaine of '95-97 is all reprinted in Slaine Vol. 6: Lord of Misrule, and the early days of Sinister Dexter in the excellent Sinister Dexter: Gunshark Vacation. Both volumes are well worth tracking down.I don't think Vector 13 has been reprinted, unless it was in quite a recent Magazine supplement that I missed..?

ZenArcade

I spent a fruitful year from 2012 - 2013 collecting approx 1100 back issues and about 320 megs.I sourced them from all over the UK.  It was super fun and I wish I could do it again.  This might be an avenue to go down, it only cost me about 5 or 600 quid to boot. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead