Main Menu

Comics2Film

Started by W. R. Logan, 24 October, 2001, 08:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. R. Logan

Now that it has been announced that Rebellion has signed a deal to do two Dredd movies you can guarantee that for the next two years we?ll be seeing many a rumour reference what is happening concerning the production of the said films.

Here is what Rob Worley had to say in Comics2Film #195:

JUDGE DREDD

A few months back Comics2Film told fans to expect 2000AD?s Judge Dredd to make a cinematic comeback. Today's Variety reports that a deal is in place for the futuristic lawman's return.

Shoreline Entertainment has entered into an agreement with Rebellion to produce two movies based on the popular U.K. character. Shoreline's Morris Ruskin and Vicki Pike will produce with Rebellion's Jason Kingsley and Andy Predergast.

The two films will be shot back-to-back. First up in the deal is Judge Dredd: Dredd Reckoning. According to the write up, that picture has Dredd "losing confidence in the corrupt legal system." The follow up movie will be called Judge Dredd:  Possession and sports Judge Death as the villain who possesses Dredd?s partner.

The movies will not be sequels to the reviled Sylvester Stallone flick of the mid-1990's. "We are reinventing the franchise by taking it back to the edge and style of the original comic book,"  Ruskin told Variety.

Pike talked about the character's potential as a franchise stating, "There are thousands of Judge Dredd stories, so there is endless material available to work with. It will also be easier to brand the movies by presenting them back-to-back."

http://www.variety.com/

Comics2Film reports news and rumours on movies and television shows being developed from comic books and comic strips. Its e-mailer ships weekly, providing you with up-to-date and exclusive reports!

Comics2Film presently has 1586 members and generally has all the news about forthcoming comics to film projects. With Dredd being in development it may be of interest for Dredd fans to subscribe.

If you are interested then look at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Comics2Film

or their website:

http://www.comics2film.com

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Thread Zero

Dredd doesn't have a partner!

Well there is Mrs Gunderson but I've got to stay quiet about that!

scojo

Matt

C'mon Scojo, it's an obvious reference to Anderson in the original Judge Death.

Thread Zero

C'mon Scojo, it's an obvious reference to Anderson in the original Judge Death.

But Dredd has no partners.

Ever.

He has teamed up occasionally but to say Dredd has a partner is factually incorrect.

If you want to make a Dredd film start off with the facts.

Anderson is NOT Dredd's partner. She never has been.

Once you start altering the facts too much the film will suffer.

scojo

Thread Zero

Besides, Dredd has always disapproved of Anderson's somewhat over the top behaviour.

He has tolerated it because it is common in Psi Judges and because she is a good judge.

But he would never consider her his partner on the streets.

Dredd is a loner.

scojo

W. R. Logan

>But Dredd has no partners.
>
>Ever.

What about Walter The Wobot 8-)

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Matt

So Dredd's a loner eh? OK. What about the team of Judges he put together in the Apocalypse War? Or the time he worked with Hershey  & Lopez during the Judge Child Quest? Mean Angel in Dredd Angel, Anderson in Judge Death & Judge Death Lives, McGruder during Necropolis, Giant & Fergie in The Day The Law Died, Spikes Harvey Rotten in The Cursed Earth, Sadu & Johnny Alpha in Judgement Day, DeMarco in The Pit...shall I go on? Dredd isn't a loner. He couldn't operate seperately as a law unto himself. He is a part of Justice Department and as such is a cog within a much bigger machine. A loner would work independently of Justice Department and Dredd doesn't.

Thread Zero

You are so wrong.

I said he teamed up but that is mostly in epics.

Other than that he is a loner.

Fact.

The majority of street judges are loners. That is how they patrol the streets.

Pick up a non epic Dredd story. Anyone.
Odds are Dredd is alone.

Fact.

Milo, it is criticise not critise as I incorrectly typed!

scojo

Matt

I haven't had this much fun on the message board in ages. Welcome back with avengance Scojo. But we are all a bit sad aren't we. It's only a comic after all.

MATT (whose about to be lynched by over zealous 2Kad fans)

Thread Zero

You speak for yourself Matt!

I mean just think...

You go to the cinema, sit down with the popcorn, lights dim and we see the first glimpse of Mega City one.

Wow. Awesome.

Then Dredd appears. He is amazing! So faithful to the character in 2K.

Then...
Wait a minute, his badge chain is all wrong!
It is too short. It should hang loose not taut.

Etc etc.

Oh how I can't wait.

scojo not sad but in despair

Matt

But it's not going to be a faithful reproduction of the comic is it. The Lawmaster for instance isn't practical with it's huge wheel at the front. The production team on the first Dredd movie discovered that. I remember a story where they tried using an aeroplane wheel but the damn thing wouldn't corner. The shoulder & knee pads wouldn't be practical in real life either. You try moving in all that stuff. I  don't think we should expect to see an exact replica of Dredd on the silver screen.

Thread Zero

No problem Matt.

Use the existing bikes cops ride in the US.
Or Harley Davidson bikes.
Then just add a little extra work to them. A slight modification.

I think they will look cool.

Sometimes simplicity is the best route to take.

I don't agree with you about the uniform. The Dredd of the playstation game, the live action one, was identical to the comic Dredd and worked.

The actors can suffer some discomfort for art's sake.

scojo